Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/29/2018, 03:00 PM   #1
GoNoles
Registered Member

Bean Animal Plumbing Size

Hello.

Just inherited a 40B that has an external overflow in one end set up for a Bean Animal. The only issue that I am concerned with is that the bean animal plumbing/bulkheads are all 3/4" Everything I read suggest at least 1" plumbing. Is there a detriment to me leaving it at 3/4"? Would enlarging the pipe to 1" from the bulkheads do anything? Should i just use a smaller return pump to keep the flow lower? I plan on using a gyre pump in the DT to move the water there.

Thank you in advance.

Bill

GoNoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 03:16 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I ran a 40b with a bean setup with 3/4" plumbing just fine..

1" is really overkill for such a small tank..

Unread 01/29/2018, 03:28 PM   #3
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I agree. You can get more flow than you would ever need for a 40 breeder through a 3/4" syphon.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 03:49 PM   #4
GoNoles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I ran a 40b with a bean setup with 3/4" plumbing just fine..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
I agree. You can get more flow than you would ever need for a 40 breeder through a 3/4" syphon.
Thank you very much for the quick replies!!

Unread 01/29/2018, 04:18 PM   #5
Bruce51
Registered Member

I have a 1" been/animal drain on my 40b, using a Jebao dct-4000 for return pump with about 2 and half feet of head pressure. I'm running it at 100% and the valve on my drain is 2/3 closed

Bruce51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 04:42 PM   #6
Lsufan
Registered Member

The 3/4” will handle the flow just fine. What the smaller plumbing will do is make the open channel hard to keep quiet. Very little water in the 3/4” open channel will be loud. Enlarging the plumbing will help with that & is something I would do personally. One of the great things about a beananimal is once u get it dialed in u don’t have to mess with it. With the 3/4 u may find u have to mess with the valve more often, because any flunctuation at all u would hear the difference in the open channel

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2018, 04:10 PM   #7
GoNoles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
The 3/4” will handle the flow just fine. What the smaller plumbing will do is make the open channel hard to keep quiet. Very little water in the 3/4” open channel will be loud. Enlarging the plumbing will help with that & is something I would do personally. One of the great things about a beananimal is once u get it dialed in u don’t have to mess with it. With the 3/4 u may find u have to mess with the valve more often, because any flunctuation at all u would hear the difference in the open channel
The holes are already drilled in the overflow. I don't see any way of re-drilling new 1" holes. Would enlarging the pipe of the open channel to 1" just after the bulkhead down to the sump change that?

Unread 01/30/2018, 04:13 PM   #8
GoNoles
Registered Member

Quote:
Also, would I enlarge just the open channel and leave the full syphon and emergency channel at 3/4"?

Unread 01/30/2018, 04:53 PM   #9
lapin
Registered Member

3/4 is just fine. I would not mess with it unless you find it unbearable. If you try to drill it, you could crack it. Then you would get to lovely experience of drilling more holes. And mounting your brand new overflo box.

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2018, 07:45 PM   #10
Lsufan
Registered Member

I was saying by enlarging the pipe after the bulkhead it can help keep it quiet. To me it isn’t any harder to plumb it with 1” instead of 3/4” & it will help the open channel stay quiet. U can get the 3/4” tuned in to where it is quiet, but any little flunctuation u will hear the difference in the open channel causing u to have to mess with the valve more often to keep it quiet.

Unread 02/02/2018, 03:28 PM   #11
GoNoles
Registered Member

Quote:
I was saying by enlarging the pipe after the bulkhead it can help keep it quiet. To me it isn’t any harder to plumb it with 1” instead of 3/4” & it will help the open channel stay quiet. U can get the 3/4” tuned in to where it is quiet, but any little flunctuation u will hear the difference in the open channel causing u to have to mess with the valve more often to keep it quiet.
Plumbing isn't a problem. I can up-size the open channel to 1" after the bulkhead. My question is do I need to do this to all 3 channels or just the open channel?

Also, what is the optimal level of the open and full syphon channels below the water level in the sump?

Thank you again.
Bill

Unread 02/02/2018, 06:13 PM   #12
Lsufan
Registered Member

I would do it to all three if u do it to one. U want all three drains configured as close to each other as possible.

They should be submerged no more then 1” in the sump. The reason for them to be submerged no more then 1” is so the syphon can purge the air on startup. If submerged to far it can’t purge the air. It depends on the plumbing configuration. If it is setup to where u have other issues that make it hard to purge the air then u may be only to submerge it 1/4” to 1/2” into the sump. I would start out at around 1” & u can always cut a little off if u find u need to

Unread 02/02/2018, 09:51 PM   #13
GoNoles
Registered Member

Quote:
I would do it to all three if u do it to one. U want all three drains configured as close to each other as possible.

They should be submerged no more then 1” in the sump. The reason for them to be submerged no more then 1” is so the syphon can purge the air on startup. If submerged to far it can’t purge the air. It depends on the plumbing configuration. If it is setup to where u have other issues that make it hard to purge the air then u may be only to submerge it 1/4” to 1/2” into the sump. I would start out at around 1” & u can always cut a little off if u find u need to
Thank you very much for all the help!!

Unread 03/15/2018, 10:30 AM   #14
GoNoles
Registered Member

So I pressure tested the tank/sump this past weekend. Everything worked perfectly!! I ended up changing the plumbing to 1" on all 3 channels and the flow was great. Just want to thank everyone that responded!

Unread 03/15/2018, 01:04 PM   #15
nereefpat
Registered Member

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote