Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 08/07/2008, 09:39 AM   #76
RyanDragon
Registered Member

k thanks Sk8r, hopefully I can get a 100 gallons tank when my brithday come, My budget is limited,

Torch Coral, Frogspawn Coral, Couples Zoa/Paly colonies, and Mushrooms

Current Tank Info: 25 gallons reef tank with 96watts of t5 HO lighting
Unread 08/07/2008, 10:39 AM   #77
Sk8r
RC Mod

I think if you start a campaign and explain about used tanks and your fish needing to grow, you might swing it. Start talking it up at breakfast. Leave notes around the house. Worked for me.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Unread 08/07/2008, 10:09 PM   #78
CraigSlice
Registered Member

just another quick question, would a yellow tang and a frogspawn coral be too much to add at once? (i think i'm going to order the tang from liveaquaria, but would need to add something else to justify the cost)

Unread 08/07/2008, 10:28 PM   #79
Puterguru
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greggnyce
They have to be fed gut loaded ghost shrimp or sm-med size freeze dreid shrimp. Mine never ate frozen foods or pellets. It will eat anything that it thinks will fit in its mouth. IMO I would only keep it with larger aggressive fish. It is a very cool fish to observe and feeding it was fun (if you have the time). It also create alot of waste eating the shrimp so for beginers it may be hard to keep your water parameters in check. I would keep one in a FOWLR system, but too many things for it eat in a reef system.
Thanks! Any idea why Doctor Foster Smith shows Anglers and Triggers are not compatible?

Current Tank Info: I currently Have no Tanks :-(
Unread 08/07/2008, 10:31 PM   #80
reef3r
Registered Member

Hmm, okay I have a 37 gallon, no sump no skimmer. 55 pounds live rock, the tank has been setup for over a year now.
Fish list is 1 clarki clown, 1 midas blenny, 2 flame hawkfish (mated pair) and one firefish. I have a single ricordia. Does anybody think I can add another fish, if yes, what?

Unread 08/07/2008, 10:32 PM   #81
Sk8r
RC Mod

corals don't as a rule add bioload if they're healthy. Just be aware a stony coral needs the calcium and mg test as well as the alkalinity. They're good hardy corals.

Re trigger/angler---one fish (trigger) is quite bitey and rushes for food, and the other dangles a lure in front of its jaws. I'd say it's a potential for trouble---never seen the combo, so I don't know for sure, but I can envision it happening.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Unread 08/07/2008, 10:35 PM   #82
Sk8r
RC Mod

reef3r, I'd be hesitant to add anything but a small detritus-eater fish, and at that, I'd really recommend you add a skimmer: a Remora is a hangon with a little bit of punch. That would make your tank happier by getting rid of build up of amino acids in the water. water changes faithfully done help, but a skimmer can pull stuff from your water that will probably amaze you.

Unread 08/07/2008, 10:37 PM   #83
reef3r
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply, I was considering getting a Remora for a while, actually. I just never saved up the money, but I guess I'll get one soon. Thanks.

Unread 08/08/2008, 05:14 AM   #84
SaltSolutions1
Registered Member

This may be a bit lengthy but I want to make sure you know what I have set up before you recommend what my tank capacity is for any more fish, corals, peppermint shrimp, ect.

I have 2 percula clowns (that don't go near my sebae anemone that is about 7" in diameter when she opens up) A beautiful home for those guys and they have no interest.

Here is the rest of my stock list:

FISH
In addition to the two clowns, I have:
1 Leopard Wrasse
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Six Line Wrasse

CLEANUP CREW
6 Snails
1 Decorator Crab
At least 2 small Hermit Crabs

CORALS
encrusting gorgonia
toadstool
duncan polyps
star polyps
(all very small amounts)

FILTRATION
CPR Bak Pak 2 Skimmer with Biological Filtration
350 Magnum Canister (running carbon and filter sleeve)
Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerhead
80 lbs. Live Rock
10 gallon Refugium with Live Sand, 1 pound of Live Rock, with Chaeto and 5 Mangrove Stalks

LIGHTING
Main Tank:
Compact Fluorescent fixture with 2 bulbs (White, Blue, and Moon)
Refugium:
Coralife T-5 Series 24" fixture laying over top of refugium tank with full-spectrum bulb and 6700K plant bulb

I want to put more coral, fish, and clean up crew.

Please lend me all of your suggestions.....Thank you in advance!

Thinking of getting a coral banded shrimp or a peppermint shrimp (can i do this even though I have the decorator crab) are they good in a reef tank?

Thinking of getting a pair of anthias (not sure which ones yet but I think those two will conclude my stock list. suggestions?

Current Tank Info: Allow me to share my passion with you by viewing my albums and build thread.
Unread 08/08/2008, 05:35 AM   #85
kau_cinta_ku
Moved On

1st off the leppord wrasse and the 6 line are gonna compete for pods and your tank isn't really suitiable to handle 1 fish that eats pods as their main food.

anthias IMO need a bigger tank, they are constant swimmers and do well in tanks 75 gal. or bigger.

as for the shrimp, either one will be fine. but if you get the coral banded you may not be able to add another shrimp later on.

just my .02

Unread 08/08/2008, 06:11 AM   #86
inachu
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay1982
No mermaid?
LOL I wish.

Unread 08/08/2008, 07:29 AM   #87
Stevenx2
Registered Member

This thread is really a good idea!
It's just sad to see that some LFS sell fish no matter what the cost...

Good luck!

Unread 08/08/2008, 09:07 AM   #88
Sk8r
RC Mod

Salt Solutions, first, I'd look at getting rid of that cannister filter or filling it with live rock. if you do it, do it gradually, so as not to hit your unprepared sandbed with a sudden glut of detritus. Cannisters build up waste, ergo nitrates, sometimes ammonia, and corals aren't happy with that. Live sandbed takes waste, breaks down to harmless nitrogen gas, sends up to air, bye-bye. The one rule i encourage is keep your fish load within the limits of your sandbed's filtration, no additional help if you can avoid it.

Corals are zero bio load unless dead, and actually help filter. YOu can pack a tank to the gills with coral.

However, and you may not be happy with this: an anemone in a coral tank is a time bomb. If something goes wrong, and it moves and gets stung by other coral, or stings other coral itself, WWIII breaks out, the nem turns loose, floats about the tank hysterically stinging everything, everything goes on the warpath with tentacles if it's got them, and non-tentacled coral just dies and starts a nitrate spike which takes out everybody, even the fish.
I would suggest moving the nem out and letting clowns set up shop in the toadstool.
Now here you have a dilemma too: duncans and that toadstool are apt to quarrel down the line. Running carbon will calm that down, but the duncans may never grow as they might in a stony-only tank---
Stonies get along with other stonies or the milder softies, like mushrooms, gsp. They have to have a calcium at 420, an alk at 8.3-9.3, salinity 1.024-6, and mg about 1300.. YOU need test kits and supplements for all those things. The CHEAPEST way to supplement stony corals is by topping off with kalk water, and that is best done via an autotopoff system: a pump with a sensor that tells it to shoot 2 tsp water into the tank. Kalk can be delivered from a 5g bucket of kalk powder (mrs. wages pickling lime, 5 dollars for 2 lbs) dissolved in ro/di water (you have to have ro/di to make this work well). Kalk can't raise the alk and cal, but it can hold it where you hand-dosed to set it, and will hold it faithfully until the evaporation rate slows to a crawl, until the mg runs out, or until the bucket runs dry. Ro/di automatically dissolves the right amount of kalk to be safe: it's what water does in the ocean, dissolving limestones to assure ocean water is exactly what results, given enough salinity. The only thing you then have to do is keep that bucket full, add more kalk powder now and again, and keep your mg up, which means testing weekly.
I know that's probably got your head swimming---but that's the way the big tanks do it. There's a step beyond that, called a calcium reactor. But if you want a lot of corals and have 100g or under, kalk is your friend. It's not dangerous in overdose, great to learn with before you move on to huge tanks with mega-corals.
What I would not do is keep that deadly triad, the big leather (toadstool), the nem, and the duncans. Most of all the pretty nem has to go back to the store, asap, for the safety of all. Then you really should replace the toadstool with gentler softies; or with stonies. And if you go the stony route, no mushrooms, only rare need for carbon, and keep the gsp off your structural rocks. Clowns love to hang out in euphyllias (frog and hammer) and will help feed them.
Lotta choices. But I think leaving that nem in there is a future problem that can take out the tank.

Unread 08/08/2008, 10:49 AM   #89
SteveJakubiec
Moved On

This'll be in a 120g

5-Tierra Anthias, also called Resplendent Anthias (Stay around 3")

1-Yellow Tang

1-Leopard Wrasse (Female) (Already Have in 55g)

2-Picasso Clowns (Already have in 55g)

1-Starry Blenny (Already Have in 55g)

1-Some type of Goby/Pistol Pair

1-Magnificent Foxface

2-Pearlscale Pyramid Butterflies (Yellow) or possibly Black...?

30g Sump w/Fuge (Or I might get it to a 55g), 165lbs Live Rock in Display, probably 30-40lbs in the Sump...Ro/Di Water, CUC Comprised mostly of snails, maybe a cucumber, and two cleaner shrimp. Tunze Powerheads (not sure if that matters). 2-3" Sand Bed, All types of corals.

Unread 08/08/2008, 11:01 AM   #90
SteveJakubiec
Moved On

Oh, and an ASM G-3 Skimmer, forgot about that part, and I might switch the tang out for some type of Bristletooth, probably a Two Spot.

Unread 08/08/2008, 11:39 AM   #91
Sk8r
RC Mod

The butterflies: check them out: this one eats clams. You can get them at the supermarket.
Avoid the cucumber: they're toxic, if injured. I really don't recommend them unless you're just passionate about them.
You know that the foxface is poisonous to you and to other fish if he gets cornered: handle carefully. And being pancake shaped he might get some aggression from the tangs.
When in doubt about whether a fish can exist in your tank, try floating his bag. If one of the other fish rushes up to attack the bag, this is not a good sign.
Qt: you've got some high ich factors in here.
But outside of that I see no problems...if that butterfly confines himself just to clams and doesn't want shrimp or coral for dessert. The research says clams.
Mmm. I'd say if you get a bristletooth tang, skip the rabbit: competitors for algae, and the rabbit may take after some corals. My scribbled rabbit ate 2 heads of frogspawn, ripping them out and letting the remnant drift.

Unread 08/08/2008, 12:21 PM   #92
SteveJakubiec
Moved On

Um those Butterflies are 100% Reefsafe, I checked in the fish only forum, and I might skip the tangs all together and just go with foxface and butterflies, and rest of stock.

Unread 08/08/2008, 12:46 PM   #93
Sk8r
RC Mod

That would be good. And thumbs up on the pyramid butterflies: you WILL want to keep highquality sand bed and skimmer with that serious a meateater in there: they'll share with everybody and there'll be pieces all over. But I think you can get by without a cannister filter, which is the best situation.

Unread 08/08/2008, 12:54 PM   #94
Packersfan21
Registered Member

Ok I have a 90 gallon AGA w/ a sump and pro clear aquactics venturi skimmer. bio wheel filter and a wet/dey filter which will soon be removed. I plan on upgrading my skimmer in the future as well as get a refugium.

current fish:

purple tang
percula clown
false percula clown
royal gramma

want to add:

1.goby that will burrow that won't destroy the DSB. suggestions? I tried a jawfsih b4 but it dissapeared.

2. Midas Blenny

3. Mcosker's flasher wrasse

4. Squareback Anthis

5. Flame Angelfish

6. possibly a longnose hawkfish. (not to sure though)

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef and 75 gallon FOWLR
Unread 08/08/2008, 01:01 PM   #95
Sk8r
RC Mod

I see no problem, factoring in the upgrade. You might even consider a few wavy softie corals to keep the clowns happy: I'd recommend the finger leathers or mushrooms, maybe a toadstool (but not the fiji yellow: fussy and somewhat dangerous). They don't take anything special but alk, which keeps your fish healthier too. They are filters.
I'd suggest the yellow watchman with a pistol shrimp.
Jawfish can be difficult: I've found the little pearly to be quite hardy and very brave. The likeliest spat in the new list is the purple tang, flame angel, but hopefully they will take up at opposite ends of the tank and not push each other. If they do, set a rock pillar and try to break up the linearity of rockwork to get them to turn rather than race end to end of tank...
And turn lights out on any fights. Every new light period is a new day to them, and what was there before is likely to be ignored.

Unread 08/08/2008, 01:12 PM   #96
Packersfan21
Registered Member

Ok thanks Sk8r. I was thinking a bout a goby/shrimp pair b4 but wasn't sure. Any suggestions on the skimmer upgrade. I heard the MSX 200 was good for 90 gallon mixed reefs in a previous thread.

Unread 08/08/2008, 01:17 PM   #97
Sk8r
RC Mod

I don't use the MSX and don't know them, but I haven't heard anything bad about them. I hear a lot of complaints about the one I use (lowest profile) the Aqua C EV 120. I tinkered a bit with it and have it running like a top (don't allow ANY air in (tighten everything) except via the aeration lever. But ask about that one, the MSX, in the Equipment forum and you'll get some people familiar with the one you propose. My own rule of thumb: if you want a clean tank, get a skimmer rated 2x your water volume: I swear they make these ratings for tanks with no fish in them.

Unread 08/08/2008, 02:08 PM   #98
Packersfan21
Registered Member

Ok thanks . Yea, the one I have now is rated for 150 gallons.

Unread 08/08/2008, 04:19 PM   #99
otrlynn
Registered Member

Didn't think I'd be posting here, but I am looking for 2 or possibly 3 more smallish fish (my firefish went carpet surfing last night and I had previously been thinking one or two more fish...) Anyway I can't find anything that inspires me at the LFS and think I'll get the last 2 or 3 fish online. They will go in a QT that has is set up and has cycled. I have a med. size Kole Tang, med. cinnamon clown, and yellow watchman goby. Contrary to reputation, I have never seen the cinnamon act aggressively toward another fish (including the deceased firefish). I have been thinking about a royal gramma (blackcap basslet) or a chalk basslet, purple firefish, and some type of wrasse. I can limit myself to two if that is recommended. There are so many reef safe wrasses, I don't know which one to pick. I have a few hermits, astrea, cerith, turbo and a few nassarious snails, a peppermint shrimp, and a tiger pistol that I added last week who has been MIA since the day after I put it in (presumed dead). I also have a black bristle starfish. I like fish that are out and about, not hiding in a rock... Any suggestions appreciated.

Unread 08/08/2008, 04:26 PM   #100
hoopsdaddy
Registered Member

new additions

I will soon be starting up my 165gal reef tank. What would you suggest to be the best clean up crew for this setup.
175# live rock, 4"sand bed, 50gal total capacity sump with refuge( live sand, live rock, and macro algea)
I already have about 20 turbo snails, 20 blue leg crabs, 10 nass snails, and one sand sifting star.

How much more should I add. Most sites "reef packs" say 150-200 critters for this size tank. That seems like a lot to me.

Thanks for the help and I will contact you later before I add fish.

Closed Thread

Tags
marine fish, reef fish