Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2016, 10:34 PM   #1
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

"The Classic" 90

Over 10 years old in the same exact spot (moved once), and only revamped internally a few times this SPS-heavy mixed reef has been around the block quite a few times. Only one major stony coral wipeout while on vacation, its recently re-scaped and I introduced a lot more SPS variety.

Current (Sept 2016) technical specs:

- All Glass Aquarium 90 gallon "Megaflow" tank, using the stock drain and return plumbing
- AGA "Mission" series stand in cherry
- Custom made (DIY) 40G acrylic sump with refuge
- Custom "LEDBrick" LED lights, now using a mix of LED panels blueAcro AcroStars with the original driver arrangement
- 2x Vortech MP40-QD, 1x Vectra M1 return pump
- JBJ Artica 1/5HP chiller
- Ancient Korralin C1502 calcium reactor fed by a Masterflex pump
- Vertex Omega 130 skimmer
- Neptune Apex for temp control, monitoring pH and Ca reactor control

Some of the livestock in this tank is quite old:

- Had a Flame Angel for 12 years who recently just passed
- 10 year old Derasa clam (got it when it was tiny, now about 14" long)
- Original zoanthid, green stripe mushrooms, and montipora caps (I had to weed out the montipora about a year ago, it was 1/3rd of the tank from sandbed to water surface)
- Liverock from Florida started life in my first 55g over 12 years ago.

More on the livestock in a later post.

Current Tank Info: 90g SPS+mixed reef (10 yrs): LEDBrick LEDs, 40g custom sump, Ca reactor, chiller, Vortech, lots of custom electronics
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2016, 10:41 PM   #2
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

It all started with this shoestring budget used 55g in college. Stand was 4x4s (way overbuilt) and never framed in:

The clam in question when first introduced in the 55g, at this point it was lit by dual 250W 14k Phoenix MH bulbs.

The first move into the 90g which started life in a third floor apartment before moving to the final house. This was lit by 6x54W overdriven T5s:

This is the montipora tower I took out awhile back. The base had finally broken in a cleaning and it needed to be puled. As much of the base had died, I recycled it into my calcium reactor.

Current Tank Info: 90g SPS+mixed reef (10 yrs): LEDBrick LEDs, 40g custom sump, Ca reactor, chiller, Vortech, lots of custom electronics
Unread 09/04/2016, 09:42 AM   #3
saf1
Registered Member

Tank looks good. Huge clam.

How do you like the Vectra return? That is what I've decided to use has my return on the 210 I'm setting up. The M1.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2016, 10:20 AM   #4
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

Super quiet but not as debris tolerant as my old PanWorld 50PX-X. I had to adjust my intake so it wasn't as likely to suck in coralline flakes, tiny snail shells, etc as they get caught ahead of the impeller and make very loud grindy noises, which I've had to shopvac out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk