Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Military Reefers Group
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/03/2014, 04:12 PM   #1
dukduk
Registered Member

Third party VA Home Loan companies

so what's the scoop on places like http://www.veteransunited.com/

dukduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2014, 01:54 PM   #2
mbauma
Registered Member

Not familiar with them. I just closed on a house on 4/24 of this year. I would recommend going with someone local who has a good reputation. The new regulations went in 1/1/2014 and make it more difficult to the through underwriting and being able to close.

My realtor recommended someone(Loan Officer) in his same building and she was great. I had no issues whatsoever. It really helps having them in the same building and local so issues can be worked out quickly.

Current Tank Info: QT: 1 Gold Flake Angel
mbauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2014, 12:27 AM   #3
dukduk
Registered Member

Thank you. It's a hard decision, not really trying to find a forever house but we don't want to be in a dump worse off than base housing. Just shopping for a lender right now, from what I've seen and heard from recent homebuyers is that having in house people doesn't really make a difference as everyone still wants to charge them fees but you're right it can make things go smoother. Ya wth, estimated closing is going to take 30 days?? Jeez

Unread 08/08/2014, 02:08 PM   #4
TheKman
Registered Member

Here is a time line with my VA Home Loan.

Thurday - Brought pay stubs and VA Letter to bank
Friday - VA Approved / Bank Pre-Approval
Saturday - House Hunting
Sunday - Made offer
Monday - Their bank Accepted
Tuesday - My Bank Accepted
Wednesday - Title Signing
Thurday - Closed & Got Keys
Friday - Moved in..

Now getting up to that point was pretty extensive / I went through my local credit union with a VA letter and the bank backed up my loan which took me about 3-4 months but once the bank and VA were on board it was just that fast.

Unread 08/09/2014, 04:40 PM   #5
dukduk
Registered Member

How long ago?

Unread 08/10/2014, 07:50 PM   #6
mbauma
Registered Member

The final closing for me took about 3 weeks. I was already living in the house I bought as I was waiting for a waiver on a new septic to be approved.

Current Tank Info: QT: 1 Gold Flake Angel
mbauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2014, 03:15 PM   #7
dukduk
Registered Member

yea new laws or something are making closing take around 30 days now

I wish there was a way to search for a reef ready house, lol

Unread 09/25/2014, 05:42 PM   #8
SGT_York
Registered Member

Just went through USAA last week, superb service 30 days is the norm provided you have your VA approval done. Really easy if you are recently separated from the service. For old vets it's a time consuming process.

SGT_York is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2014, 10:45 AM   #9
ejohnson
Registered Member

Went through NFCU, they were awesome and even gave me $1,500 credit towards closing costs!

ejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2014, 04:44 AM   #10
wcarterh
Registered Member

Old board but also went through with NFCU. Great on the bonus back. The loan officer seemed like they had her way overloaded, but polite. Took about 30 days. Closed last Nov (before the new regs).

wcarterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2014, 08:40 PM   #11
Knots
Registered Member

Go with something safe like USAA or NavyFed. I use USAA for insurance and typically loans through NavyFed.

Remember if you are not buying your final home to consider the neighborhood and schools (that's important if you plan to rent). Better to have an average home in a good neighborhood than a good home in an average neighborhood.

Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2014, 11:02 AM   #12
hobineros
Registered Member

Just bought my 2nd home with Veterans United (VU). Compared to the first home loan, who we went thru Hunt ERA... Hunt was a nightmare... it was a cluster "foxtrot". I would recommend and use VU any day of the week. I will be moving again shortly and I will most certainly be calling my POC at VU.

hobineros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2014, 11:04 AM   #13
hobineros
Registered Member

P.s. It doesnt really matter what bank you use, 90% of the loans will be resold after you close. To me, its more about what company takes better care of you and making OUR lives less painful.

hobineros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2014, 09:48 PM   #14
dukduk
Registered Member

VU was legit! Nick S. got us closed in 20 days!! Almost unheard of and we had some tax statement issues since we file through Guam the IRS has no record of us filing (it's a weird thing). Definately going through NFCU or USAA since we didn't get $$ back, well we did but it was a little from the title co.

Unread 01/08/2016, 11:56 AM   #15
braaap
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukduk View Post
VU was legit! Nick S. got us closed in 20 days!! Almost unheard of and we had some tax statement issues since we file through Guam the IRS has no record of us filing (it's a weird thing). Definately going through NFCU or USAA since we didn't get $$ back, well we did but it was a little from the title co.
Very nice. I closed in 28 on a short sale. That was faster then the normal 30 for a standard sale and about twice as fast for a short sale haha. I went with a local company who had a loan officer in house as well.

braaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2017, 05:41 PM   #16
Brunzy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukduk View Post

I have been dealing with Nick as well. I got a grant for $5000 to help with closing!

This guy knows his **** and is making buying a house a dream!

I will say with Veterans United I wouldn't fear one bit!

Brunzy is offline   Reply With Quote