Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/20/2015, 03:51 PM   #2526
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjacobs View Post
Great light!

Beautiful. You need to post some top down shots of your corals.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2015, 10:23 PM   #2527
cvportagee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
I would go with the following tube combo: 4xCoral+, 2xBlue+ and 2xActinic

That will cover the full spectrum.

You then play with the LED spectrum adding as much of the RB, B, W and R channels to your taste.

Run the T5's around 4 hours to start, increase by 30 mins each day. If a coral starts to lighten, back off either the intensity or duration.
Thank you for the recommendation. Which order would you put them in?

cvportagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2015, 06:42 AM   #2528
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvportagee View Post
Thank you for the recommendation. Which order would you put them in?
That depends...

See, the ATI units are usually setup with channels as follows:
T5's 1, 2, 7 & 8
T5's 3, 4, 5 & 6

Which isnt best spread out to be honest.

So, I'd advise running both T5 channels as one unit.
Front:
Blue+
Coral+
Acinic
Coral+
--LED--
Coral+
Blue+
Coral+
Acinic

That way, your main tubes the Coral+ are spread out equally, and the supplementals, the Blue+ and Actinics are spread out as best as possible.

Run the T5's 7-9 hours once everything is acclimated. You can ramp up 1hour and then ramp down 1 hour.

As for the LED's, run the Royal Blue with a small amount of Blue for dawn/dusk. And as close to full intensity (for Royal Blue, Blue and White)alongside the T5's once in peak period. White LED's should be run around 40%; up them if you prefer warmer, less blue look.

Its a bit of an experiment really, but once you have lights set, dont mess around with it. Instead concentrate on keeping the tank fed well and parameters stable.

Hope that helps.

Unread 05/21/2015, 10:02 AM   #2529
cvportagee
Registered Member

Quote:
That depends...

See, the ATI units are usually setup with channels as follows:
T5's 1, 2, 7 & 8
T5's 3, 4, 5 & 6

Which isnt best spread out to be honest.

So, I'd advise running both T5 channels as one unit.
Front:
Blue+
Coral+
Acinic
Coral+
--LED--
Coral+
Blue+
Coral+
Acinic

That way, your main tubes the Coral+ are spread out equally, and the supplementals, the Blue+ and Actinics are spread out as best as possible.

Run the T5's 7-9 hours once everything is acclimated. You can ramp up 1hour and then ramp down 1 hour.

As for the LED's, run the Royal Blue with a small amount of Blue for dawn/dusk. And as close to full intensity (for Royal Blue, Blue and White)alongside the T5's once in peak period. White LED's should be run around 40%; up them if you prefer warmer, less blue look.

Its a bit of an experiment really, but once you have lights set, dont mess around with it. Instead concentrate on keeping the tank fed well and parameters stable.

Hope that helps.
Thank you again. That helps a lot.

cvportagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2015, 11:17 AM   #2530
dcforester1
Registered Member

I just got my 48 8 bulb Powermodule but haven't set it up yet. I have been so excited about it until I talked to another reefer. He referred to it as a $2000 paperweight???? He said even with the LED the T5 wash out all the shimmer, is this right? I am so ****ed and hoping it's his opinion and I will love this light. Are other happy with their lights?

Thanks Derek.

dcforester1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2015, 01:34 PM   #2531
wheelman76
Registered Member

I get great shimmer , and I only have the 36" 8 bulb so I have 1 less led cluster then your light.

Unread 05/23/2015, 02:30 PM   #2532
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcforester1 View Post
I just got my 48 8 bulb Powermodule but haven't set it up yet. I have been so excited about it until I talked to another reefer. He referred to it as a $2000 paperweight???? He said even with the LED the T5 wash out all the shimmer, is this right? I am so ****ed and hoping it's his opinion and I will love this light. Are other happy with their lights?

Thanks Derek.
There definitely is shimmer. $2000 paperweight? Ask him to ship it to me. I'll pay for shipping. Seriously, its a great light.

Add 8 T5 tubes to a Metal Halide setup and see how much shimmer is left. The reason shimmer is created is due to instances of darker and high intensity light areas created by the movement of water. T5's are designed to FILL IN all areas of the tank with light. Therefore to expect so much shimmer is completely unrealistic when you undertand why shimmer is there in the first place.

You've bought one of the best light units out there. Enjoy it. My buddy has a 36" with 8 tubes. His corals have AWESOME colour. And there is shimmer still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman76 View Post
I get great shimmer , and I only have the 36" 8 bulb so I have 1 less led cluster then your light.
+1
I have the Single cluster unit and I still get shimmer. It all depends on how you setup the unit.

Unread 05/23/2015, 03:02 PM   #2533
ssdawood
Registered Member

I will give him 500 dollars and pay shipping. Please send it to me.

It's an awesome light. But same effects can be generated with sunpower and reefbrite.

But I would not call it a paper weight.

Quote:
There definitely is shimmer. $2000 paperweight? Ask him to ship it to me. I'll pay for shipping. Seriously, its a great light.

Add 8 T5 tubes to a Metal Halide setup and see how much shimmer is left. The reason shimmer is created is due to instances of darker and high intensity light areas created by the movement of water. T5's are designed to FILL IN all areas of the tank with light. Therefore to expect so much shimmer is completely unrealistic when you undertand why shimmer is there in the first place.

You've bought one of the best light units out there. Enjoy it. My buddy has a 36" with 8 tubes. His corals have AWESOME colour. And there is shimmer still.

+1
I have the Single cluster unit and I still get shimmer. It all depends on how you setup the unit.

Unread 05/23/2015, 08:27 PM   #2534
dcforester1
Registered Member

Thank you that's what I was hoping to hear.

Unread 05/24/2015, 06:29 AM   #2535
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcforester1 View Post

Thanks Derek.
I have the 8 bulb unit and it rocks. It's by no means a paperweight. The 8 T5s gives you incredible flexibility with choosing bulbs and full dimming control! I have had the lamp 3 months and my acros have incredible growth compared to the PacSun hybrid lamp I had before. Also much easier to program than the PacSun, only wish ATI would offer more set points. I am not too crazy about the LEDs on the unit but they get the job done since you will use them only as supplemental lights. I think the LEDs lack a bit of coverage punch when run alone and I am looking for a particular color (like those that ReefBrites offer), but this is still the best LED/T5 hybrid there. I am contemplating getting ReefBrite LEDs to get the right color pop but that means an additional $500 and extra weight and then I will need to mount them. I think the ReefBrites offer better LED spread and it could be something to do with their optics. I may eventually do it to add that peculiar ReefBrite color when my T5s are off and use the ATI LEDs purely for sunrise and sunset.

Unread 05/25/2015, 12:43 PM   #2536
Xion
Registered Member.

I was finally able to set up my ATI Powermodule LED 8x39 yesterday. for some reason my windows computer won't recognize the USB from the control box. can anyone please help me solve this.

Thanks

Xion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2015, 06:53 PM   #2537
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion View Post
I was finally able to set up my ATI Powermodule LED 8x39 yesterday. for some reason my windows computer won't recognize the USB from the control box. can anyone please help me solve this.

Thanks
Try resetting the light.

Unread 05/25/2015, 11:43 PM   #2538
Xion
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan View Post
Try resetting the light.
I tried that and it still didn't work
what else could i try?

Unread 05/26/2015, 04:30 AM   #2539
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion View Post
I tried that and it still didn't work
what else could i try?
Try a different computer if you have one, if not contact ATI support. You may have a bad control box like I did.

Unread 05/26/2015, 03:07 PM   #2540
Redrosetuscan
Registered Member

were there any plans for a controller? my windows 8 laptop is dead (blessing in disguise) and i got a macbook pro. obviously it doesn't work with mac.

Redrosetuscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2015, 10:43 PM   #2541
Xion
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan View Post
Try a different computer if you have one, if not contact ATI support. You may have a bad control box like I did.
thanks, I think I had the same issue as yours. I contacted ATI and they sent me a new control box. hope to get it soon

Unread 05/29/2015, 05:36 AM   #2542
kewadiak
Registered Member

finally joining the club, I currently have a 60" 8 bulb fixture running over my 36W72L24H. This light puts out a ton of par almost seams like its to much for an lps tank. i am kinda struggling to finding the right height over my tank because the t5 are not dimmable. I am looking to run basically an lps dominated tank with montipora corals near the top. any one with the 60" lights running a mixed reef just curious to placement of light off the water and how high your running your leds.

kewadiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2015, 07:37 AM   #2543
dcforester1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewadiak View Post
finally joining the club, I currently have a 60" 8 bulb fixture running over my 36W72L24H. This light puts out a ton of par almost seams like its to much for an lps tank. i am kinda struggling to finding the right height over my tank because the t5 are not dimmable. I am looking to run basically an lps dominated tank with montipora corals near the top. any one with the 60" lights running a mixed reef just curious to placement of light off the water and how high your running your leds.

I love the rock work. That's exactly the look I am going to try and achieve.

Unread 05/31/2015, 05:33 PM   #2544
westreef
Lost as usual

I have a 48" ATI Hybrid with 4 T5s and 3 Led clusters for a week already. My current laptop is a Macbook Pro and ATI does not support it. So I had to dig out my very old broken PC and tried to repair it. After a whole afternoon's tinkering around with the PC, finally I got it connected to the internet and downloaded the ATI software for this unit.

I was so lucky that I found this thread. Following Sahin's useful tutorial and Ryan's helpful instructions, I got the program working without much issues. Without their help here, I am sure I would be still looking for answers from ATI. Thanks to these two great reefers.

I have been reefer for over 15 years and have never owned a "real" light fixture. I always had DIY lighting systems. I am so happy now to have this unit, very well built and I am sure it will serve all my needs for many years to come. I would be very satisfied if in future my SPS corals would be half as good looking as those of Sahin's.

At peak hour (T5s and 3 LED clusters are on)

During ramp down (Only 3 LED clusters with RB and B are on)

75g, ATI 4x58wT5 LED Hybrid Powermodule, AquaMaxx ConeS 1, 2xMP40wES, RKL controller, Tunze Osmolator

Last edited by westreef; 05/31/2015 at 05:42 PM.
westreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2015, 02:14 PM   #2545
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Bernie, your tank and lights look VERY nice. I'd be careful with the new lights. It is a PAR monster. Much higher PAR than even a 400w Radium setup. My buddy runs his at 100% on everything, but feeds his tank CRAZY amounts to compensate. He also has lots of flow etc.

What is your T5 combo and LED settings at peak?

Unread 06/01/2015, 07:03 PM   #2546
westreef
Lost as usual

Quote:
Bernie, your tank and lights look VERY nice. I'd be careful with the new lights. It is a PAR monster. Much higher PAR than even a 400w Radium setup. My buddy runs his at 100% on everything, but feeds his tank CRAZY amounts to compensate. He also has lots of flow etc.

What is your T5 combo and LED settings at peak?
My T5 combo is:

Front
Blue+
Coral+
DDAquaBlue+
Purple+

The bulbs are a little old except the Coral+. Over time, I would like to have final combo of 2 Blue+ and 2 Coral+.

At peak for just 5 hrs, T5s and all LED clusters are at 100%. However, the LED individually set at: RB 100%, B 50%, W 35% and R 10% as you recommended earlier in this thread. By the way, during ramp up or down, this LED setting actually brings up the red color amazingly poppy. I love red and this really delights me very much.

The light is hung about 14.5" above water surface. I will lower it slowly to about 10" over time. And I put a layer of egg crate over the tank to prevent my wrasses doing carpet surfing. With this set up, the PAR is not that overly strong. I got about 500 right beneath the water surface, about 370 in the middle and 260 at the bottom. The depth of this tank is 24".

I am in the process of restarting this tank. This is because at the end of March, right before my scheduled vacation to Europe, for no apparent reasons, half of my SPS got STN. It is slowly recovering now. Some of the saved frags still having STN at the bases despite numerous water changes. I have enjoyed for more than a year without any STN or RTN. Any sticks I threw in the tank grew like weeds, the colors were ok but not that spectacular though.

Now I am cycling some Marco rocks. Sometimes in July, I hope the rocks will be ready for 2-island aquascaping. This time, I will get rid of all old rocks and all softies which might have caused some problems for my SPS, imo. The future corals will just be SPS and some LPS. Please wish me luck.

Final words -- I made a right decision of getting this fantastic light, even though it costed me arms and legs, haha.

75g, ATI 4x58wT5 LED Hybrid Powermodule, AquaMaxx ConeS 1, 2xMP40wES, RKL controller, Tunze Osmolator

Last edited by westreef; 06/01/2015 at 07:58 PM.
Unread 06/02/2015, 02:26 AM   #2547
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Definitely swap to 2xC+ and 2xB+. You can up the White channel a bit more over time. You can also up the Red channel once you take out the P+. My buddy runs his red channels at 100%, but like I said earlier, he feeds his tank crazy amounts.

You do have your unit quite a bit higher than most, so that's good. I have mine 7inches above water; hence my PAR is quite a lot higher.

You have an excellent light here there is no doubt about that.

Is the Marco Rocks the Key Largo type? If so, be prepared for a hair algae battle. I acid washed and bleached mine, but got a ton of hair algae despite that. You need lots of CUC etc to deal with that. Otherwise its nice rocks.

Goodluck with resetting your tank. My own reset has gone very well this year. Here's hoping both our tanks do very well.

Unread 06/02/2015, 06:51 AM   #2548
westreef
Lost as usual

Quote:
Definitely swap to 2xC+ and 2xB+. You can up the White channel a bit more over time. You can also up the Red channel once you take out the P+. My buddy runs his red channels at 100%, but like I said earlier, he feeds his tank crazy amounts.

You do have your unit quite a bit higher than most, so that's good. I have mine 7inches above water; hence my PAR is quite a lot higher.

You have an excellent light here there is no doubt about that.

Is the Marco Rocks the Key Largo type? If so, be prepared for a hair algae battle. I acid washed and bleached mine, but got a ton of hair algae despite that. You need lots of CUC etc to deal with that. Otherwise its nice rocks.

Goodluck with resetting your tank. My own reset has gone very well this year. Here's hoping both our tanks do very well.

Yes, the rock is from Key Largo, Florida. I did an acid wash. I checked the phoshhate after they were in RO water for 48 hrs and found 0 from both Hanna and Elos kits. I do worry about the hair algae outbreak. Thanks for the warning and advice.

Unread 06/02/2015, 07:30 AM   #2549
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by westreef View Post
Yes, the rock is from Key Largo, Florida. I did an acid wash. I checked the phoshhate after they were in RO water for 48 hrs and found 0 from both Hanna and Elos kits. I do worry about the hair algae outbreak. Thanks for the warning and advice.
I checked the PO4 level from the Key Largo rocks after I acid washed etc. It wasnt leaching anything.

And I dont think that is the issue. I think it just takes this rock a while to buildup sufficient bacterial mass on its surface/or provide adequate filtration. Its not bad though, once you're past the algae stage its great rock. Awesome to scape with etc.

Unread 06/02/2015, 09:10 AM   #2550
westreef
Lost as usual

Quote:
I checked the PO4 level from the Key Largo rocks after I acid washed etc. It wasnt leaching anything.

And I dont think that is the issue. I think it just takes this rock a while to buildup sufficient bacterial mass on its surface/or provide adequate filtration. Its not bad though, once you're past the algae stage its great rock. Awesome to scape with etc.
This is the same worry I have. I find the rocks have a lot of crevices but not very porous at all. In fact, I am adding Special Blend and Night Out II everyday to the cycling water. I even add a few ml of vodka in it. I have total of 45 lb. I also added 1 liter of siporax in the sump of the DT. I am trying everything I can to help the filtration.

Last edited by westreef; 06/02/2015 at 09:19 AM.