Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/31/2017, 07:00 PM   #1
kjonulak
Registered Member

Fluconazole - Bryopsis Killer

Has anyone tried this?

I was using Vibrant and getting ok results. The Vibrant wiped out my bubble algae and made my water very clear. The Bryopsis was a lot easier to remove but it wasn't dying like I saw it work for others. So I came across this thread at reef 2 reef. I guess I can't list other forums. You will have to fill in the blanks.
http://www.*********.com/threads/bry...nazole.285096/

You dose 20mg's of Fluconazole/gallon, which is used as a fish fungus treatment. You dose once and wait. The meds start to show results in a few days. Within 2 weeks the Bryopsis is gone. Seems that it also kills hair algae which also disappears during the 2 week wait. Some folks turn off carbon, skimmer, etc. Others leave it running. After 2 weeks you do a water change and your done. I am now 4 days into treatment and my Bryopsis is looking pretty beat up.

The picture on top is day 1. Lower picture is day 3. Today the Bryopsis is all matted together.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0583.jpg (74.2 KB, 498 views)
kjonulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2017, 07:28 PM   #2
kidkaos520
Registered Member

I can tell you and everyone else that it works. I dosed 3 capsules last Monday and my bryopsis is nearly gone and I can see my zoas again. Well worth the 15 bucks I paid for 10 capsules.

kidkaos520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2017, 08:02 PM   #3
Livinlocal619
Registered Member

Where do you get the stuff? I don't have a outbreak but it seems like something I may want to have on hand

Livinlocal619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2017, 08:12 PM   #4
kidkaos520
Registered Member

Don't know if I can post the link here. Send me a pm if you would like it

kidkaos520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2017, 09:24 PM   #5
kjonulak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinlocal619 View Post
Where do you get the stuff? I don't have a outbreak but it seems like something I may want to have on hand
I got mine here.
https://www.payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html

I plan on making it part of my coral QT process. There is testing going on to figure out how little is needed.

Unread 02/04/2017, 07:51 AM   #6
xanthurum
Registered Member

I just got mine. The price is going up on this stuff just FYI. I will be doing 1, 200mg pill per 10 gallons of total water volume.

Current Tank Info: You want to know just ask
xanthurum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 07:01 PM   #7
kjonulak
Registered Member

I'm on day 8. Looking much better. Having trouble uploading images.

Unread 02/13/2017, 02:26 PM   #8
Elliott
Registered Member

Well, thanks to you and this thread, I reviewed the other thread you referenced, and purchased Fluconazole to treat my Bryopsis, that I have been battling for years.

This is the single most important thread ever, in terms of my tank maintenance, as I am happy to report my Bryopsis is nearly gone after just 3 days dosing Fluconazole 20 mg per gallon of tank water.

What is even more impressive, it that my system doses another 180g tank at 2.5 gallons per day, and it too has Bryopsis that is almost completely gone! That is at a dose of 0.7 mg per gallon of tank water!! So, it is clear, it takes very little Flconazole to kill Bryopsis.

There has been no ill effects on any of my tank inhabitants.

This is truly a gift from the reef keeping Gods, THANK YOU !!!!

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2017, 04:52 PM   #9
jmadison
rebmeM deretsigeR

Does anyone have any reports on a month or two down the road after stopping dosing Fluconazole. Has anyone had anything return? I know a lot of Kent Mag dosers reported it coming back with a vengeance down the road...

Not currently combating (knock on wood), just always good to have a bryopsis killer in your stable of elixirs!

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest. -Confucius

Current Tank Info: Construction Zone
jmadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2017, 08:56 PM   #10
kjonulak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmadison View Post
Does anyone have any reports on a month or two down the road after stopping dosing Fluconazole. Has anyone had anything return? I know a lot of Kent Mag dosers reported it coming back with a vengeance down the road...

Not currently combating (knock on wood), just always good to have a bryopsis killer in your stable of elixirs!
According to the data on the link I provided to the other site. Even months after treatment, the Bryopsis did not return.

Unread 02/13/2017, 09:05 PM   #11
kjonulak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
Well, thanks to you and this thread, I reviewed the other thread you referenced, and purchased Fluconazole to treat my Bryopsis, that I have been battling for years.

This is the single most important thread ever, in terms of my tank maintenance, as I am happy to report my Bryopsis is nearly gone after just 3 days dosing Fluconazole 20 mg per gallon of tank water.

What is even more impressive, it that my system doses another 180g tank at 2.5 gallons per day, and it too has Bryopsis that is almost completely gone! That is at a dose of 0.7 mg per gallon of tank water!! So, it is clear, it takes very little Flconazole to kill Bryopsis.

There has been no ill effects on any of my tank inhabitants.

This is truly a gift from the reef keeping Gods, THANK YOU !!!!
I would have to agree that this was a great find. My little 9 gallon nano was overrun with Bryopsis, this was the only treatment that eliminated my Bryopsis. I tried the Kent Tech M and Vibrant. Neither one killed it off. The Vibrant did kill off my bubble algae.

In my 45 gallon tank, I had 2 small spots of Bryopsis and a little hair algae. The Bryopsis was eliminated within a few days. My hair algae has mostly turned gray/white. There are 2 areas that are still somewhat holding on. Today was day 14 of the treatment on the tank. I am going to give it a couple more days. If the HA is still not gone, I will do a second treatment.

I am planning on using the fluconazole as part of my coral QT process.

Unread 02/14/2017, 12:48 PM   #12
johanasu
Registered Member

So does anyone have three caps left over for our 30 gallon coral tank in my classroom? I can pay if you want to sell them. Thanks

johanasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2017, 09:41 PM   #13
azreefr
Registered Member

Has anyone seen an increase in cyano after using the Fluconazole? I bought some but saw a few posts about cyano outbreaks so I've been waiting to use it?

azreefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2017, 10:42 PM   #14
kjonulak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azreefr View Post
Has anyone seen an increase in cyano after using the Fluconazole? I bought some but saw a few posts about cyano outbreaks so I've been waiting to use it?
Most folks myself included had a cyano outbreak, but it was due to using Vibrant prior to and during the fluconazole treatment.

Unread 02/15/2017, 12:38 PM   #15
Mael
Registered Member

Ordered some up, I can give you a few tabs for the school tank. Must be getting around as the site says they are starting to see limited supplies and will only sell 10 or 20qty packages right now, said they will have the large ones available in a cpl weeks.

Mael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2017, 12:48 PM   #16
johanasu
Registered Member

Sounds good

Unread 02/15/2017, 04:43 PM   #17
Mael
Registered Member

im impressed, shipped right away and will be here on saturday.

Unread 02/15/2017, 09:12 PM   #18
Fphipps
Registered Member

Where can I get hear from? The link posted didn't work for me and I'm desperate for this stuff!

Also, any one try the tablets as opposed to the capsule?

Unread 02/15/2017, 09:19 PM   #19
Elliott
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fphipps View Post
Where can I get hear from? The link posted didn't work for me and I'm desperate for this stuff!

Also, any one try the tablets as opposed to the capsule?

https://www.payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Unread 02/15/2017, 09:22 PM   #20
Fphipps
Registered Member

That's the link that had me confused. When I clicked "buy now" it redirected me to the PayPal website and asked for a product description and price. I have paypal but I haven't really used it... so if you guys wouldn't mind helping me out

Never mind. I didn't scroll far enough

Unread 02/15/2017, 09:27 PM   #21
Elliott
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fphipps View Post
That's the link that had me confused. When I clicked "buy now" it redirected me to the PayPal website and asked for a product description and price. I have paypal but I haven't really used it... so if you guys wouldn't mind helping me out
hmm, when I select qty, then click add to cart, it takes me to Paypal site page that display exactly what I selected, with checkout button, pretty straight forward, not sure what is happening on your computer

TOTM, March 2015

Unread 02/20/2017, 02:50 AM   #22
Legot
Registered Member

If anyone in the East Valley has any extras or wants to do a group buy type of thing I'd be happy to buy some!

I have a tiny bryopsis problem in my 33L, but it's pretty well managed for now.

Unread 02/20/2017, 09:25 AM   #23
Mael
Registered Member

Dosing starts tonight, will take some before pics so I have a visual record.

Unread 02/27/2017, 11:41 AM   #24
johanasu
Registered Member

Day 1 (after a lot of manual removal)
https://youtu.be/i-ruDweqZ1w
Day 6 after dosing
https://youtu.be/t57BY7S0jZA

Unread 02/27/2017, 01:00 PM   #25
Stolireef
Registered Member

Where was this miracle thread last year when I so desperately needed it. I think this is the first time I've heard or seen something to deal with a major reef pest so concretely. Now we need the cure for aptasia and AEFW.

Current Tank Info: 125 Rimless Leemar, Apex, Trigger 30 Elite Sump, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 X Gen4 Radion XR30W, BM Doser, 2xMP40WES, 2xTunze 6095, Sicce Syncra 4.0.
Stolireef is offline   Reply With Quote