Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2017, 11:23 AM   #851
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Corals are looking great. That PE is insane on some of those pieces. Hope you can get everything stable and growing again

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2017, 08:20 PM   #852
itz frank
Gives Bad Advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson6745 View Post
Thanks Wazzel, hard to tell from the pic but the frags are doing well coloring up more each day. More importantly all STN has stopped and mostly regrown in the 2 weeks being in the new system. Good sign, hopefully I can keep it steady :roll eyes:

IMG_0442 by rich colombo, on Flickr

IMG_0448 by rich colombo, on Flickr

IMG_0447 by rich colombo, on Flickr

IMG_0443 by rich colombo, on Flickr

And here's 50b's the $8 per lb monando rock from premium Aquatics What a waste :roll eyes:

IMG_0275 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Wooooow what's the first guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itz frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2017, 08:34 PM   #853
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by afernandez View Post
i would had been pi**ed too
those rocks have 0 artistic vibes

corals are looking good! looking forward to the Re-Birth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM and the Boys View Post
Rich corals look great...

That rock does suck though...
Yup I was very surprised about the rock. I had a friend order 25lbs (I ordered 50lbs) and his rock had more volume. The large piece was actually nice, the next 2 largest pieces are like dense heavy base rocks. For $8 per pound I expected better. At least it was very clean and there was no cycle, but I would never recommend buying monando rock from PA after my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
Corals are looking great. That PE is insane on some of those pieces. Hope you can get everything stable and growing again
Thanks, still have a few more corals to add from friends. Everything is stable and SPS have been going and color more each day. This has been only been running for 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by itz frank View Post
Wooooow what's the first guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually not sure. A milli frag that I was growing from a local reefer. The color and PE is really nice.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196"]http://www.reefcentralcom/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196
Officially Done Shipping
jackson6745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2017, 09:36 AM   #854
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Rich, I'm so sorry to hear that the tank had a meltdown. Hopefully at least your wife and new baby are doing well and you've been enjoying family life.

I don't recall which frags I got from you, I think the Tubbs Purple Hulk, a purple montipora with green polyps, and a Spongodes, but I'd be more than happy to send frags back your way as you're rebuilding. No luck on the pearlberry though, it just didn't grow as fast as it's tankmates and was overrun. That Tubbs Purple Hulk though has grown to be my centerpiece colony in my nano and is huge (though not especially purple). Let me know if you'd like any of those and I'll try to make it out to Rockaway again.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2017, 09:59 AM   #855
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Hey buddy. Sorry about the meltdown. The frags growing out look great and Im sure the tank as a whole will be back to looking awesome soon enough.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2017, 02:25 PM   #856
reefmutt
Registered Member

Well, Rich despite the meltdown, the come back is impressively under way!
Gorgeous top downs.
The pe on that millie is just ridiculous!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2017, 03:08 PM   #857
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Rich, I'm so sorry to hear that the tank had a meltdown. Hopefully at least your wife and new baby are doing well and you've been enjoying family life.

I don't recall which frags I got from you, I think the Tubbs Purple Hulk, a purple montipora with green polyps, and a Spongodes, but I'd be more than happy to send frags back your way as you're rebuilding. No luck on the pearlberry though, it just didn't grow as fast as it's tankmates and was overrun. That Tubbs Purple Hulk though has grown to be my centerpiece colony in my nano and is huge (though not especially purple). Let me know if you'd like any of those and I'll try to make it out to Rockaway again.
Thanks brother family is doing well, and it's a lot of fun, but a big change in lifestyle as it be expected. When my tank started going downhill I put a bunch of frags in a few buddies tanks so I have enough to start growing this out. Still a few more frags to add but I am definitely going to limit the amount of stylos and montis in the tank, especially encrusting montis. They do grow much faster than delicate acros and space becomes an issue. I'd rather see big acro colonies with space between them. I'm not sure which one is the tubs purple hulk? You mean Tubs montipora stellata? Its the green and purple one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Hey buddy. Sorry about the meltdown. The frags growing out look great and Im sure the tank as a whole will be back to looking awesome soon enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Well, Rich despite the meltdown, the come back is impressively under way!
Gorgeous top downs.
The pe on that millie is just ridiculous!
Thanks guys. Many of these corals came from my tank while it was doing poorly, so they were very messed up with recession and poor color. This reboot is responding like when I first started this talk in the first place. SPS have shown instant rebound, no more recession. PE and color keeps improving so I have good expectations. We'll see.

The scape looks a lot better in person than in the pic. It's hard to tell with a 32" depth, but there's a lot of breaks and open structure in the scape. From a head on angle it looks like a pile of rock. I think the coral growth will bring the 3D view in eventually.

So, I made a few changes to this system. While the tank was running previously not doing well, in despair, I removed the marine pure media in my sump, all the aluminum leeching jargon had me worried. Well that didn't fix anything but my nitrates did shoot up, so I can tell you that the 4x8 block definitely denitrates well. I replaced the media with rock rubble from Premium Aquatics (that was at least good quality )

In the move I left the old sump rock rubble and replaced display rock + sandbed. I have also switched carbon schemes. I am dosing ESV Transitions Plus daily 6ml. This is a pretty new ESV product. It's Holding nitrates at 5ppm and definitely seeing that increased kind of PE that I only see on carbon dosed tanks. I believe it's carbon source is vitamin C. When I dose the 6ml it brings my PH down a whole point, so I guess that's why the specify to dose when light come on.

I am also dosing vibrant bacteria 10ml per week. These additives are super cheap in comparison to prodibio or other schemes. We'll see how it work out long term, so far so good. No cyano, or even diatom since transferring. Usually I get an outbreak of both when I start new systems, especially since I had a lot of fish that I transferred into a new system. Bio-load is on the heavy side. I think I have like 17 fish.

I'll post an update pic in a month or two, hopefully with some colorful, larger corals

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196"]http://www.reefcentralcom/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196
Officially Done Shipping
Unread 02/12/2017, 05:23 AM   #858
Reefer40b
Registered Member

Question

[QUOTE
[/QUOTE]

What is this coral by chance? Thanks

Reefer40b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2017, 05:42 AM   #859
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer40b View Post
[QUOTE
What is this coral by chance? Thanks[/QUOTE]

No particular name, just a cool milli from a local reefer.

Officially Done Shipping
Unread 05/05/2017, 01:32 PM   #860
Narzyzz12
Registered Member

man thats hella hairy

Current Tank Info: Corallife Biocube 29 and Nuvo 8
Narzyzz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 08:12 PM   #861
rhinonm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narzyzz12 View Post
man thats hella hairy
Thats what she said...

Current Tank Info: 200g SPS
rhinonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 08:16 PM   #862
reefmutt
Registered Member

Update time!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 03/11/2018, 09:41 PM   #863
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

LOL, I'll post an update soon. The tank is doing well.

Officially Done Shipping
Unread 03/14/2018, 11:17 AM   #864
echopiece
Registered Member

Would love to see an update Rich! Your tank was always one of my favorites

Unread 03/17/2018, 10:03 AM   #865
FloformAustria
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks Wazzel, hard to tell from the pic but the frags are doing well coloring up more each day. More importantly all STN has stopped and mostly regrown in the 2 weeks being in the new system. Good sign, hopefully I can keep it steady :roll eyes:

IMG_0448 by rich colombo, on Flickr

IMG_0447 by rich colombo, on Flickr

IMG_0443 by rich colombo, on Flickr

And here's 50b's the $8 per lb monando rock from premium Aquatics What a waste :roll eyes:
IMG_0275 by rich colombo, on Flickr
now that are some stunning corals man!!! :waveband:

Cheers

^Austrian Reef Club^

"Founding Member of CCC - The cool couch club of SPS keeping" - Biggles

Current Tank Info: The Austrian Dropoff Tank
FloformAustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 12:57 PM   #866
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

Some recent pics

IMG_5005 by rich colombo, on Flickr

IMG_5106 by rich colombo, on Flickr

IMG_5127 by rich colombo, on Flickr

IMG_5508 by rich colombo, on Flickr

IMG_5486 by rich colombo, on Flickr

IMG_5493 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Officially Done Shipping
Unread 03/18/2018, 01:02 PM   #867
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

IMG_5482 by rich colombo, on Flickr

IMG_5491 by rich colombo, on Flickr

IMG_5495 by rich colombo, on Flickr

IMG_5497 by rich colombo, on Flickr

IMG_5500 by rich colombo, on Flickr

IMG_5110 by rich colombo, on Flickr

IMG_5498 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Officially Done Shipping
Unread 03/18/2018, 02:09 PM   #868
Pife
Registered Member

Amazing pictures. Thanks for the update.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 06:15 PM   #869
markalot

Good to see an update Rich, colors look really good.

I see a Katropora.

Unread 03/18/2018, 09:22 PM   #870
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Fantastic picture update! I'll have to cone by again soon... Once my tank is stabilized. I have to get a color palette ready so I can plan my choices. Those corals are out of this world colorful.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 04:50 AM   #871
glaukos
Registered Member

Really glad to see things are doing well rich
What mode do you have your vortechs on?

Unread 03/19/2018, 05:08 AM   #872
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Amazing pictures. Thanks for the update.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Good to see an update Rich, colors look really good.

I see a Katropora.
Thanks Mark. That's actually a very old school acro "Kedds yellow Bali" acro. It looks greenish under the 20k Radium, but back in the early 2000's we ran 10k halides. Color is bright yellow under 10k. I actually ordered a 10k Ushio bulb but for some reason it wouldn't fit into the mogul socket in my spectra??? Weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Fantastic picture update! I'll have to cone by again soon... Once my tank is stabilized. I have to get a color palette ready so I can plan my choices. Those corals are out of this world colorful.
Thanks! I have a lot of small stuff now, but chosen carefully. Much of my stuff is from Kenny "Pieces of the Ocean". He really has an amazing selection of SPS. His colors are insane in person. Definitely worth a visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaukos View Post
Really glad to see things are doing well rich
What mode do you have your vortechs on?
Thanks Vortechs are on nutrient removal mode (maybe 70%) and I also have a gyre 230 in there as well. Flow is pretty good throughout the tank at the moment.

Officially Done Shipping
Unread 03/19/2018, 05:58 AM   #873
markalot

Quote:
Thanks Mark. That's actually a very old school acro "Kedds yellow Bali" acro. It looks greenish under the 20k Radium, but back in the early 2000's we ran 10k halides. Color is bright yellow under 10k. I actually ordered a 10k Ushio bulb but for some reason it wouldn't fit into the mogul socket in my spectra??? Weird
Very cool. I regret not getting into the hobby sooner, I know very little about some of the older acros. Red Robin is the oldest known named that I have. Well, the slimer I suppose, but that doesn't count.

Unread 03/19/2018, 12:53 PM   #874
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice shots, Rich. Corals look super happy.
Jealous of your OT! Just can’t seem to get that up here not true OT, anyways. Lots of super blue gomezi that can look like it but not the real thing, I don’t think.
You have some very promising frags in there!

Unread 03/19/2018, 01:01 PM   #875
E.intheC
Registered Member

Incredible looking corals - congrats Rich!