Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/16/2017, 08:23 PM   #151
goldnlovr
Registered Member

you guy's have some beautiful set ups

goldnlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2017, 08:36 PM   #152
madweazl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip22 View Post
Well at least you where able to figure out what the issue was. Is ther now other steps you take that you did not befor this? Othere then just extra maintenance.
Nope, just make sure everything is perfect before I leave so my wife doesnt have to troubleshoot things with me over the phone. Makes for an irregular maintenance schedule but we do what we have to so everything remains healthy.

madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2017, 09:52 AM   #153
madweazl
Registered Member

Couple new acros

Strawberry Shortcake

Unknown but similar coloration to the RR Wolverine (yellow with deep red polyps)

Unread 06/26/2017, 02:45 PM   #154
madweazl
Registered Member

Added seven acropora yesterday but I'm having a hard time getting decent images of one.

Unread 06/26/2017, 04:28 PM   #155
bowfrontboy
Registered Member

very nice

Unread 06/27/2017, 03:55 PM   #156
madweazl
Registered Member

Added a Kessil H80 to the refugium today. Light creep has been cut way down from the CFLs so hopefully maintenance in the skimmer compartment is a little bit easier in the future.

Unread 06/28/2017, 07:44 PM   #157
madweazl
Registered Member

Picked up a pair of MP40s in the FS section along with a few other goodies; mayhem!

Unread 06/29/2017, 08:43 PM   #158
madweazl
Registered Member

Picked up a Kessil H80 to cover the refugium under the tank. The previous lights lit up the entire stand and algae really appreciated it; maintenance on the skimmer and carbon reactor were starting to become a pain in the *** so I wanted to find a solution to cut back on this. I relocated the carbon reactor to the return chamber of the sump (far right) and was able to lower the new light far enough to eliminate light creep into the skimmer chamber (far left) and return chamber completely while illuminating the entire refugium area and then some (if the mount would allow, I could drop the light four more inches and still have adequate spread).

Unread 07/06/2017, 01:20 PM   #159
bo0sted2g
Registered Member

awesome build so far! will be following along

bo0sted2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2017, 05:58 PM   #160
madweazl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo0sted2g View Post
awesome build so far! will be following along
Much appreciated Wish I could go back and fix all the images; may as well delete the thread and start over at this point.

Unread 07/10/2017, 07:31 PM   #161
madweazl
Registered Member

Added a LET 48" T5 retrofit with an ATI Coral+ and Blue+. The acros seemed to have an immediate response and opened up a bit more than usual (they're new and just starting to open up and spread). The green toadstool immediately closed (being rehomed to make way for the acros anyways). Tomorrow I have the T5s coming on for two hours at the peak of the photo period (4pm). I need to find a better way to integrate them (the T5s) right now but I don't have the ability to dim them without an expansion for the controller (using the two existing dimming ports for the Kessils but I may swap them to the T5s and run a constant intensity on the Kessils). Might be a good excuse to switch over the the Profilux 4 since I really need the expansion, WiFi and dimming modules for the RA+. The dosing pumps should be here Thursday bringing the used relay count up to 13 (how did this happen). I like the extra light the T5s have cast into the nooks and crannies of the rock work; it has added a little more depth to the tank and has made the corals pop a bit more. Shimmer from the Kessils is still present though significantly diffused.

Tank is only using about .2 dKH per day at this point but I expect this is going to increase fairly quickly now that the acros are really starting to encrust the plugs.

Unread 07/13/2017, 08:20 PM   #162
madweazl
Registered Member

Unread 07/14/2017, 02:58 PM   #163
madweazl
Registered Member

The BRS dosers arrived today so I got to work mounting them; I had no idea they were so large! Figured this was the best way to arrange them so I could still fill the ATO res (gotta due something about that blue...) and I still have room to add a third if/when the time comes. Think I'm out of red extension cords that fit (pretty sure all I have left are two foot cords and I'll need three foot cords to hit the lower relays of the second box) so I'll have to order a few of those.

Unread 07/15/2017, 01:19 PM   #164
madweazl
Registered Member

I still need some 3/16 acrylic tubing for the pick up lines in the bottles but it's up and running; here's hoping my math was correct (will be out of town all week)...

Unread 07/15/2017, 05:22 PM   #165
madweazl
Registered Member

Unintended consequence of running the T5 retrofit. The housing of the Kessil is 88°, the reflector on the T5 is 149°.

Last edited by madweazl; 07/15/2017 at 05:38 PM.
Unread 07/20/2017, 12:02 PM   #166
madweazl
Registered Member

Triton results were posted and there weren't too many surprises. Lithium was pretty high and outside of the salt mix, I'm not exactly sure where it would have come from. One big surprise was phosphate coming up at zero (I measured .049 with a Hanna ULR at the time I took the Triton sample). Calcium levels matched the Salifert results I took; about 20ppm higher than the Hanna kit at 420 vs 444 for Salifert so I think I'll stick with the Salifert since it is easier and appears more accurate. Sg was was 1.025 on the refractometer and the Triton results added up to 1.0266 so that was fairly close as well.

Unread 07/27/2017, 11:25 AM   #167
madweazl
Registered Member

Maintenance performed:

Increased duration of T5s to six hours (1400-2000)
Increased alkalinity dosing to 19 seconds (9.1 on 20 July and 8.5 today at 18 seconds)
Increased calcium dosing to 19 seconds (445 on 20 July and 440 today at 18 seconds)
Calibrated pH probe (ordered a replacement as well)

Everything is looking really good; all of the frags have been encrusting well and most have shown vertical/horizontal growth as well. The new Reef Raft Wolverine is coloring up really well; it was tan when I received it but the yellow is coming on strong now. The only thing that hasnt colored up much is the Cali tort; the green is coming back but most of the blue areas are still a drab tan with some blue. Seemed like I got some blue back in the first week but not much since. It is also encrusting slower than the rest. I may move it to the center of the tank where the light intensity is higher (currently on the far right and low).

Unread 07/27/2017, 12:54 PM   #168
madweazl
Registered Member

Unread 07/27/2017, 12:55 PM   #169
madweazl
Registered Member

Unread 07/31/2017, 05:08 PM   #170
madweazl
Registered Member

Moved this guy into more light; the tips are still a bright blue but the base color has browned off from the original vivid blue. It sits between the two Kessils now and should receive about twice the light it was receiving even though it is a bit lower now. This has been the only coral to lose color, everything else looks great.

Maintenance performed:

Dosing increased to 20 seconds every 90 minutes. Of note, 20 seconds in the code is approximately 25 seconds of actual dosing. This only equates to about 12.66ml/day which seems to be quite low (possible since the frags are still very small). Also dropping approx .1dKH/day which is roughly 5.3ml for a total of 18ml/day. I'll have to mark the bottles to double check my math.

Color increased to 70% on Kessils (from 65%)
Intensity increased to 55% on the Kessils (from 50%)

Last edited by madweazl; 07/31/2017 at 05:17 PM.
Unread 07/31/2017, 05:43 PM   #171
madweazl
Registered Member

Combined with the .1dKH I'm dropping per day, looks like I need about 18ml to maintain current levels.

36 seconds per dose x 16 doses / 60 seconds = 9.6 minutes of dosing daily
9.6 minutes x 1.9ml per minute = 18.24ml
18.24ml / 16 doses = 1.14ml per dose

Unread 08/03/2017, 02:01 PM   #172
madweazl
Registered Member

Picked up the McCosker's wrasse I'd ordered a couple weeks back. It, like most of the fish I've purchased, has ich but looks well fed and otherwise healthy so I'm fairly confident he'll be ok. Also grabbed a Hector's goby that is pretty awesome.

As for the corals, everything is looking pretty good and encrusting well. The one below is encrusting unbelievably fast (cant see it in the picture) and is probably my favorite in the tank right now. The tips are a beautiful purple/blue as it grows out that contrast really well with the green polyps. I don't know if the base color remains tan but the contrast is really nice and I hope it doesn't change.

Unread 08/04/2017, 04:05 PM   #173
madweazl
Registered Member

Alkalinity crept up to 8.9 dKH; either my math was wrong or consumption has fallen off a bit. Dropped dose from 33 seconds to 29 seconds (leaving Ca at 33 seconds). Increased duration of T5s by one hour for a total of seven hours (1300-2000). A few months back, something took a bite out of the red monti and it happened again a day or two ago; not sure exactly what did it but it usually heals within a few days. If it doesnt heal rapidly this time, I'll take it as a confirmation that something is awry in the tank and do some significant water changes to bring things back to "normal." This will require a different salt mix to retain the levels I'm after if I end up replacing what will likely end up 100% of the water over the course of a week.

NO3 measured out at 0 today and PO4 was .153 and .175 (did two tests just to make sure). These results were fairly surprising as I'm feeding more now than when I took samples for the Triton test a month ago (PO4 and P were 0 on the Triton results and .04 on my Hanna ULR). I've added four fish the last month and have been feeding more which really has me puzzled on the NO3 front. I removed about 50% of the macroalgae from the refugium a couple weeks ago so that probably helps account for the fairly large spike to PO4. In the near term, I'll probably cut back on the vodka dosing until I see NO3 start to climb again (been 1.4ml/day for about six months I imagine). I'll also let the macros continue to grow out and just harvest what I must since it was working well.

Everything appears to be doing well in the tank so I dont want to make any drastic changes.

Unread 08/05/2017, 01:34 PM   #174
madweazl
Registered Member

I started to notice a lot of lime green sponge growing in the darker areas of the aquarium about six weeks ago. I have no idea what specifically they are but it got me curious, could these be contributing to the nitrate reduction?

Unread 08/08/2017, 02:03 PM   #175
madweazl
Registered Member

Reef Raft Wolverine has really started to color up and encrust now.

24 June 2017

8 Aug 2017