Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/26/2014, 09:20 PM   #1
SoloChromis
Registered Member

FOWLR Tank w/Macro Algae?

Ive always known that eventually I will end up with 2 separate tanks (at least), once my budget and space allows for it. A reef tank to house all my coral, clams, shrimp, anemones and smaller fish, and a FOWLR to house some of the less reef-friendly fishes. When planning this FOWLR tank, I wanted to make it as simple, and hands free as possible, I was also not too fond of the "bare rock" look. When adding some macro algae to my refugium I had the idea to make that eventual FOWLR tank, into a macro tank as well, to help deal with the excess nutrients and for aesthetics as well. Heres the ideal fish stock list...

- Porcupine Puffer (Diodon holocanthus)

- Golden Arothron Puffer (Arothron meleagris)

- Saddleback Butterflyfish (Chaetodon ephippium)

- Pair of Pakistan Butterflyfish (Chaetodon collare)

- 5-6x Mono Argentus (Monodactylus argenteus)

- Mystery Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus ocellatus)

- Two-line Monocle Bream (Scolopsis bilineatus)

- Small Toothed Whiptail (Pentapodus emeryii)

- Harlequin Tusk (Choerodon fasciatus)

- Pair of Tank-Bred McCulloch's Clownfish (Amphiprion mccullochi)

... Any comments or concerns? Thanks guys

Current Tank Info: 60g Caribbean-esque Reef (2'x2'x2'), 10g Quarantine
SoloChromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2014, 11:36 AM   #2
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

That's an awfully ambitious bioload with just the puffers much less the rest, but that's not the subject. Just something to consider.

We've used live macro in almost all of our FO setups, and it does indeed help a lot with nutrient export, looks good, and adds some nice movement to the tank. It also is a good harbor for pods and some fishes are quite happy to live in it.

Current Tank Info: too many to describe, but i think the count is up to "lucky 13"!
namxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2014, 08:23 AM   #3
griseum
Registered Member

I love a FOWLR macro tank! Having a few, along one system, I originally was not able to keep certain Genera and Species of macro, from what I believe to be an insufficient bio-load in a large system. After tweaking the lights, using everything from Clamp lamps with CFLs, LEDs, PCs, MHs on various tanks right now, and allowing the nutrient level to rise slightly, I have had much more success with half a dozen Caluerpa species, Agardhiella, Gracilaria, a few others and Red mangroves.

That is a dozen huge fish! I dont see a mention of tank size and filtration, but even adding 5 or 6 Monos, which can get rather large themselves (about 8 inches +), would require a very large tank, in the hundreds of Gallons. Im guessing for that stocklist at least an 8x3 footprint would be minimum, with a height of atleast 24" to reduce the chance of the Monos from jumping.

griseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2014, 05:01 PM   #4
Betta132
Registered Member

Caulerpa prolifera is good. Grows pretty fast and saps nitrates, but doesn't go nuts.

Tags
fowlr, macro algae, porcupine puffer