Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/20/2016, 08:36 PM   #1
_JP_
Registered Member

My 40 Breeder Build _JP_

Hey guys I had been running a 40 breeder Fowlr skimmerless with a canister filter for 18 months and wanted to do a drilled mixed reef breeder. What do you guys think so far? Any advice?

I'm hoping to have lps softies nems tank with a zoa garden.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

_JP_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2016, 08:39 PM   #2
_JP_
Registered Member

Unread 10/20/2016, 08:45 PM   #3
_JP_
Registered Member

90lbs of rock 70lbs of sand
Reef Breeders Photon 24v2
Syncra 2.0 return pump
Overflow kit from Ebay
I expect to buy a skimmer as the nutrients pick up in the tank, haven't decided which one and definitely don't want to spend too much on it.

Unread 10/20/2016, 10:12 PM   #4
WaReefer458
Registered Member

90lbs of rock and 70 lbs of sand? Plan on any water or livestock in the tank? thats way too much unless you have like a 100g sump

WaReefer458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2016, 10:33 PM   #5
_JP_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaReefer458 View Post
90lbs of rock and 70 lbs of sand? Plan on any water or livestock in the tank? thats way too much unless you have like a 100g sump
No a 20 long sump. I wanted alot of "natural" areas for biological filtration. If that makes sense.

Unread 10/20/2016, 10:39 PM   #6
WaReefer458
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JP_ View Post
No a 20 long sump. I wanted alot of "natural" areas for biological filtration. If that makes sense.

Good luck. Lol. I have about 40lbs in mine and it's pretty full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaReefer458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2016, 10:47 PM   #7
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:

Load up some Matrix in your sump. Too much rock will inhibit flow especially when corals are added

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2016, 05:33 AM   #8
reddtiger88
Registered Member

They say like 1 pound per gallon.

Current Tank Info: 14 Biocube mini reef, 75 reef
reddtiger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2016, 12:15 PM   #9
_JP_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaReefer458 View Post
Good luck. Lol. I have about 40lbs in mine and it's pretty full

does mine look too full to you?

Unread 10/21/2016, 12:17 PM   #10
_JP_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
Load up some Matrix in your sump. Too much rock will inhibit flow especially when corals are added
besides flow and decreased water volume are there any other negatives for having so much rock in the DT? I do have 2 jebao PP-8 in the tank and can easily triple the turnover rate, and the rocks are set up in a way to allow flow in between them.

Unread 10/21/2016, 12:23 PM   #11
_JP_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddtiger88 View Post
They say like 1 pound per gallon.

I pulled out about 20lbs of rock out of the display tank, some in my sump rest in my other 40 breeder, but won't pull out much more for risk of having to switch up my rock work. currently now approx 70lbs inside. I've read some places, even here some say 1 to 2 lbs per gallon. I used the reef saver dry rock which I've used before and love how it stacks up.

Unread 10/21/2016, 12:33 PM   #12
blowmecius
Registered Member

Is that the metal stand from Petco? If so how do you like it, is it sturdy?

Unread 10/21/2016, 12:35 PM   #13
_JP_
Registered Member

Just example of some of the spaces in between the rocks

Unread 10/21/2016, 01:36 PM   #14
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
besides flow and decreased water volume are there any other negatives for having so much rock in the DT? I do have 2 jebao PP-8 in the tank and can easily triple the turnover rate, and the rocks are set up in a way to allow flow in between them.
Quote:
I pulled out about 20lbs of rock out of the display tank, some in my sump rest in my other 40 breeder, but won't pull out much more for risk of having to switch up my rock work. currently now approx 70lbs inside. I've read some places, even here some say 1 to 2 lbs per gallon. I used the reef saver dry rock which I've used before and love how it stacks up.
It makes a little more sense knowing it is the reef saver rock. That rock is dense and not the most porous.

Turnover rate can be very misleading IMO. It is a good guideline but not the end all. Make sure you have enough flow to keep food, waste and other organics suspended so it can be sent to your sump and filtered out but not so much that moves sand all over. You also don't want any corals being hit so hard it can kill them. There is a balance to find for every tank.

Matrix or Siporax(sp?) can be very beneficial but make sure to study up on it. You can add a ton of area for bacteria and not have to clutter the tank at the same time.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2016, 02:37 PM   #15
_JP_
Registered Member

I like it, easy to set up and definitely sturdy. If for some reason your floor is uneven you can adjust the tips to balance it out. easy to clean and hasn't discolored I have it under the my other tank for 18 months now. I like the expose look and ability to stare into the sump. I may consider finding some basic thing to cover the front of it though as my little daughter wanders towards it, she hasn't touched it yet but I'm sure that day will come, so I may cover it

Unread 10/21/2016, 02:43 PM   #16
_JP_
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
It makes a little more sense knowing it is the reef saver rock. That rock is dense and not the most porous.

Turnover rate can be very misleading IMO. It is a good guideline but not the end all. Make sure you have enough flow to keep food, waste and other organics suspended so it can be sent to your sump and filtered out but not so much that moves sand all over. You also don't want any corals being hit so hard it can kill them. There is a balance to find for every tank.

Matrix or Siporax(sp?) can be very beneficial but make sure to study up on it. You can add a ton of area for bacteria and not have to clutter the tank at the same time.
thanks that is very true as I've had to reposition the PP-8 a little bit from them blowing the sand around. Seems like the sand has settled now. For now I'm happy with the flow and its probably a bit better after pulling out some rock. The area that worries me when placing my hand in the tank is the peak on the right. Seems to be the only place that gets a "blast" besides that flow is spread evenly around. Don't think I'd put anything up that far but who knows, as things grow I'll reevaluate that statement.

Unread 10/21/2016, 02:43 PM   #17
_JP_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowmecius View Post
Is that the metal stand from Petco? If so how do you like it, is it sturdy?
I like it, easy to set up and definitely sturdy. If for some reason your floor is uneven you can adjust the tips to balance it out. easy to clean and hasn't discolored I have it under the my other tank for 18 months now. I like the expose look and ability to stare into the sump. I may consider finding some basic thing to cover the front of it though as my little daughter wanders towards it, she hasn't touched it yet but I'm sure that day will come, so I may cover it

Unread 10/21/2016, 02:50 PM   #18
_JP_
Registered Member

Quote:
You place it in the sump with a mesh bag? How much is too much. I've heard about it but never pulled the trigger. Is it really that good in your opinion?

Unread 10/21/2016, 03:21 PM   #19
_JP_
Registered Member

I should say with my skimmer-less canister filter 40 breeder fowlr, I had 60lbs of rock with 40lbs of live sand. Never had nitrite/nitrate issues, only had phosphate and that was because I was initially using tap water, but then switched to RO/DI. keep 5 fish in there ranging in size approx 1.5 inch to approx 4inch long. I've broken so many rules, but the abundance of that reef ready rock and the live sand I think kept the system in check still running 18 months strong