Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/08/2017, 05:45 AM   #751
bif24701
Registered Member

Yes, reactors will clog due to the thick bacteria growth. You can try putting the output for your carbon down stream from the intake of the reactor. That way it will go through the tank before going into the reactor. You can start reducing a little.

What I do is this. I have a BRS dual reactor and the fist one I fill with filter floss. This keep my tractor flowing for weeks, surprisingly the filter floss takes a while to clog. Seems that as parts get clogged they are pushed away opening new channels through the floss that are not clogged. Just have to pack it the right way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2017, 10:44 AM   #752
Scooby1
Registered Member

What do you mean by reduce a little, am I dosing to high? I only have a single reactor so this is going be a regular problem then ?thx Nick

Scooby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2017, 01:31 PM   #753
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby1 View Post
What do you mean by reduce a little, am I dosing to high? I only have a single reactor so this is going be a regular problem then ?thx Nick

How much are you dosing and why?

It can be, but most who need it just as a maintenance add very little so it doesn't develop think like that.

Is your doser output close to the reactor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2017, 03:43 AM   #754
Scooby1
Registered Member

I am dosing to reduce nitrates, have tried with water changes and can't shift it.as per 1st post dosing 60ml a day into 1st section and reactor is in 2nd section.

Unread 04/09/2017, 08:48 AM   #755
erndog1001
Registered Member

Quote:
This may have been answered elsewhere. I have been dosing about 60ml a day into a 700l system for about 7 weeks, nitrates where about 25-50 and now between 10 and 25 (salifert). However what has happened during this time on 2 occasions my phos reactor has got bound up by the bacteria building a home in it. I do not have any rock or other media in the sump. Has anyone else experiened this? The Nick
Holy crap thats a huge dose.

Unread 04/11/2017, 01:15 PM   #756
Scooby1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erndog1001 View Post
Holy crap thats a huge dose.
I am nowhere near 1ml per gallon, which people quote. What am interested to know is how people combat bacteria blooms in their reactors.

Thanks
Nick

Unread 04/11/2017, 02:21 PM   #757
david00061
Registered Member

Quote:
I am nowhere near 1ml per gallon, which people quote. What am interested to know is how people combat bacteria blooms in their reactors.

Thanks
Nick
Where did you hear 1 ml per gallon. I'm running 700 gallons and at most I'm dosing 60 ml a day. And that's a lot.

2 mp60's 4 mp40's, GEO 818 calcium reactor
SRO XP 8000 external skimmer
david00061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2017, 02:23 PM   #758
david00061
Registered Member

Quote:

Thanks
Nick
Are talking about vinager or vodka?

Unread 04/11/2017, 02:41 PM   #759
Scooby1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david00061 View Post
Where did you hear 1 ml per gallon. I'm running 700 gallons and at most I'm dosing 60 ml a day. And that's a lot.
On here in this thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1813810

Unread 04/11/2017, 02:42 PM   #760
Scooby1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david00061 View Post
Are talking about vinager or vodka?
I am dosing vinegar

Unread 04/11/2017, 04:55 PM   #761
david00061
Registered Member

Nevermind I was thinking you were dosing vodka

Unread 04/15/2017, 07:11 AM   #762
Piper27
I love bengals

I dose 50ml vodka and 50ml of vinegar a day in a 400 gallon system. I have a 40 breeder tank filled completley with live rock which my skimmer exit runs through to keep it cycled on the system without adding a lot of detritus to it. This is where I dose my carbon sources. This tank gives the bacteria a large area to operate before it goes through the tank. I can increase my dose very easily to drop nutrients quickly without bacteria becoming a problem. Bacteria will build up right in the tank where the drip is and I can remove it once I lower the dose back to normal. I drip the carbon source mix steadily night and day which I think probably helps as well.
So on a 100 gallon tank you would probably need a ten gallon tank filled with live rock to accomplish the same results. The tank should be packed with rock but enlighten where flow can move all the water. I use 1 powerhead in the tank to gently move the water around. Too much flow and the bacteria will be blown loose off the rocks and into the sump and display system.
It's all about providing a controlled place for the bacteria to work.

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2017, 07:50 AM   #763
Scooby1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper27 View Post
I dose 50ml vodka and 50ml of vinegar a day in a 400 gallon system. I have a 40 breeder tank filled completley with live rock which my skimmer exit runs through to keep it cycled on the system without adding a lot of detritus to it. This is where I dose my carbon sources. This tank gives the bacteria a large area to operate before it goes through the tank. I can increase my dose very easily to drop nutrients quickly without bacteria becoming a problem. Bacteria will build up right in the tank where the drip is and I can remove it once I lower the dose back to normal. I drip the carbon source mix steadily night and day which I think probably helps as well.
So on a 100 gallon tank you would probably need a ten gallon tank filled with live rock to accomplish the same results. The tank should be packed with rock but enlighten where flow can move all the water. I use 1 powerhead in the tank to gently move the water around. Too much flow and the bacteria will be blown loose off the rocks and into the sump and display system.
It's all about providing a controlled place for the bacteria to work.
Hi thanks for the advice, makes sense, I do not have any space for a 10 gallon tank, so could add some live rock to the sump.i am dosing into the first section of the sump so could add the rock here and also in the second chamber where the skimmer and reactor are placed. Do you think I should remove the inlet for the reactor from the second section to the third/return section?. It also sound like I could up my dose as Vodka is more concentrated than vinegar?
Thanks Nick

Unread 06/09/2017, 04:04 PM   #764
COBRA201
Registered Member

Hello everyone!
I don't know if someone has asked this in the forum before. So much reading this can now be a book lol.
I recently had my tank crash and still going down the drain as I write. SPS all going and at one point were growing. LPS are starting to die on me now. Soft are very upset. I have tested my water and it came to be:

7.5 alk Red Sea, 7.4 Hanna, 8.3 Salfert ( huge difference)
1350 Cal Red Sea, 1350 Hanna, 1470 Salfert ( Huge Difference)
pH 7.8 Salfert
0 Phos
NO3 very little.

I have spoke with my community and I was told that I striped my nutrients out of the water. To the point that corals cannot handle it any more and parameters been a little low. All I did was a water change then all this happen. I guess that is what broke the camels back. I believe this because I have always been extra clean because of my SPS. RODI, change 10% every 3 weeks, carbon, and feed 2 times a week and daily my fish but not too much. But I think what cause the issue was that I sues Reef Bio (organic carbon bacteria) Fuel from brightwells that did it. I have learned a good lesson not to be too clean.
But I have question if its low nutrients that is killing all my corals. I am also thinking that it can be the Kalk that I am adding to my reservoir with my auto top off. The way I mix kalk is by deluding 1tsps of kalk per gallon in a 1g jar like instructions say. Then after it settles, I extract the top part out and empty it in another 1g container let that settle and do it again so I can only get the good stuff. I then dump it in my reservoir. after all this, over time, I still have some kalk at the bottom of my reservoir. What I am think is, can this has been affecting over time and killing my tank? Am I preparing the kalk right by doing all those containers?

I just don't know what it is or what I can do at this point. I have asked my friend to do a water change on his reef and give me the water so I can add it to mine just in case is nutrients.

Thanks if anyone has any ideas.

Current Tank Info: 240G
COBRA201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2017, 05:01 PM   #765
mindi
Registered Member

Cant see any of those readings being responsible even though it doesnt look right for the Salifert ones to be so far away from the Hanna and RedSea. Also starvation by ultra low nutrient environment would be very slow to work. There is possibly something else going on you are not seeing yet.?

Current Tank Info: Cade PR1500 with Seachem Kona Coast and Sanrise 120 LED
mindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2017, 08:03 PM   #766
COBRA201
Registered Member

Believe me I have been thinking what I did wrong. All I did is a water change before Memorial and came back on Monday to see my bird nests all dead. From there all other sps. I only did a water change because I treated my thank with kick ich reed safe.

Current Tank Info: 240G
COBRA201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2018, 06:59 PM   #767
sensei
Registered Member

Hello all,

I would like to start carbon dosing my 600g system.
system is BB, skimmer and a 6 cube ATS installed
I have 30 fish in my system and 10 of them are tangs, some of them are 10" big.
NO3 = 25 to 30 salifert
PO4 = 0.0337 hanna phosphorus

I am not sure how to start dosing?
not sure if using just vinager or just vodka or a mixture of both and I am not sure what should be my initial dose and how to move may way up.

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Unread 11/20/2019, 08:43 AM   #768
davidwillis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
Calcium hydroxide will rasie the ph.
See the earlier posts on kalk and vinegar. The calcim hydroxide, kalk propvides alkalinity and calcium. It also has a ph of 12.4 at full saturation( ie two tsps per gallon of fresh water) . This is high enough to keep bacteria from growing .

I am sorry, I am only on page 4, so this may have already been answered, and also I know this is an old thread. But I am really looking for this answer.

Can you mix a small amount of calcium hydroxide in vinegar (no added ro water) and dose it? From what I am reading, I think you could, but it would have to be a very small amount (not to raise the ph too much) or enough to raise it up to 11. Otherwise the ph would be in the range bacteria would grow and consume the vinegar in the container before it was added to the tank..?

Do you know what the ranges are? How much can I add (of calcium hydroxide) before the ph is high enough for bacteria, and how much until the ph is high enough that is can't grow?

By the way, this is an amazing thread so far.... Thanks!

davidwillis is offline   Reply With Quote