Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/28/2016, 10:50 PM   #26
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Sounds like we both go back a similar distance in the RC Hobby. You may recognize some of these guys..

Me, Todd Bennet, Jason Kraus and Curtis Youngblood. I rented the Heli and had us flown into to the So. Cal 3D Classic and delivered pizza's for the entire crowd as a publicity stunt for my shop. Alan Szabo wanted to fly in with us but we didn't have room. At the time, he was an up and comer and I felt bad then and even worse now.
Lol, yep.. Recognize them all.. And I remember that helicopter too.. Idon't know why.. Lol.. But it rings a bell.. That's cool and funny at the same time.. And yes, it definitely sounds and looks like we do..

And yeah, he went on to do some crazy things with align.. I really have been out of the circles for maybe 6 to 7 years, so not really sure what he or anyone else(except the ones I still have on my Facebook that I only check once a year or so) is doing..

From note 5..

DamonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2016, 11:09 PM   #27
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
Yea, I can see this becoming pretty bad.

That's not an issue for me. I'm in the computer and data storage business. Hard drives are a dime a dozen but just playing with Lightroom has already exploited the weakness in my older computer at home. My brother is pushing me to get a MAC but I have too many programs including some that control Aquarium stuff that depend on Windows. Plus the fact that I can easily upgrade Windows computers where as MAC's aren't as easy. I am already spec'ing it's upgrades which include new Motherboard, latest i7 CPU, 32GB RAM and a good sized fast SSD boot drive.

I will likely include a SATA RAID setup with several drives and an Areca RAID controller in my system which I plan on rebuilding next week when I get back to the office. As for the Tripod, I have a Slik Pro 500DX with their 3 way pan head. It's not the greatest tripod but it's pretty heavy and solid.
Ahh.. Lol, you and I sound very much alike.. My systems are generally built around their multimedia processing prowess.. And I put on another thread that I haven't bought a built machine since 2008, and that was a laptop(only because they stopped making kits).. Because of this, like you, I will not do Macs. I worked on them at work and they are a pain and not flexible..

And lol, don't boot to ssd.. Lol.. If your motherboard has the slot, use a m.2 drive! They are the ultimate in speed(like insane ), and the price isn't too, too bad at all.. And I actually am running an external enclosure for mine.. I can't remember what controller is in it, but it goes to my esata port, and everything is pretty much instant.. Sequence(timeline) scrubbing and renderingis snappy, even in After Effects with pretty loaded projects.

My current editing system has the Asus motherboard, m.2 boot drive, 32 gigs of ram, 1tb cache drive, 2tb external raid, Intel 4.0Ghz i7(the 4790, which now is I think 2 generations back, but it's an absolute beast!), and the gtx970(i think)4gb version(i think it's 4, lol I never remember that stuff after I build it) and I think that's it..

Oh! And don't forget cuda! Be sure to get a Nvidia graphic card to take advantage of cuda! That does help tremendously with the Adobe applications..

From note 5..

Unread 12/29/2016, 09:23 AM   #28
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonG View Post
Lol, yep.. Recognize them all.. And I remember that helicopter too.. Idon't know why.. Lol.. But it rings a bell.. That's cool and funny at the same time.. And yes, it definitely sounds and looks like we do..

And yeah, he went on to do some crazy things with align.. I really have been out of the circles for maybe 6 to 7 years, so not really sure what he or anyone else(except the ones I still have on my Facebook that I only check once a year or so) is doing..

From note 5..
There were all kinds of photoshops on RunRyder back in the day of it coming in upside down. That may be where you recognize it from. Like you, I've been out of the circle for several years too.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2016, 09:28 AM   #29
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonG View Post
Ahh.. Lol, you and I sound very much alike.. My systems are generally built around their multimedia processing prowess.. And I put on another thread that I haven't bought a built machine since 2008, and that was a laptop(only because they stopped making kits).. Because of this, like you, I will not do Macs. I worked on them at work and they are a pain and not flexible..

And lol, don't boot to ssd.. Lol.. If your motherboard has the slot, use a m.2 drive! They are the ultimate in speed(like insane ), and the price isn't too, too bad at all.. And I actually am running an external enclosure for mine.. I can't remember what controller is in it, but it goes to my esata port, and everything is pretty much instant.. Sequence(timeline) scrubbing and renderingis snappy, even in After Effects with pretty loaded projects.

My current editing system has the Asus motherboard, m.2 boot drive, 32 gigs of ram, 1tb cache drive, 2tb external raid, Intel 4.0Ghz i7(the 4790, which now is I think 2 generations back, but it's an absolute beast!), and the gtx970(i think)4gb version(i think it's 4, lol I never remember that stuff after I build it) and I think that's it..

Oh! And don't forget cuda! Be sure to get a Nvidia graphic card to take advantage of cuda! That does help tremendously with the Adobe applications..

From note 5..
Good info. I will likely be using an Asus motherboard also though could go Supermicro. I will definitely consider the M2 though. I was thinking I could RAID 0 my OS drives down the line just to have some redundancy there. My plan is to use an i7 2600k for the CPU and a GTX 1070. I will likely build this next week once I get back to the office.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 12/29/2016, 05:26 PM   #30
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
Good info. I will likely be using an Asus motherboard also though could go Supermicro. I will definitely consider the M2 though. I was thinking I could RAID 0 my OS drives down the line just to have some redundancy there. My plan is to use an i7 2600k for the CPU and a GTX 1070. I will likely build this next week once I get back to the office.
Thanks.. But lol, no need to raid the m.2, at least for performance... Unless you just want to.. But you can do it if you just wanted to.. They're basically memory sticks that work on the pciex8 bus(lol, it's been a few months, but read up on them.. They are ridiculous!).. Insanely fast! But I hear you on redundancy.. I back up to an external.. But the m.2 puts ssd in the dust.. I didn't believe it until I started checking and then I purchased mine.. And from at least three ocZ I have, and the Samsung I built a machine for someone, they are very stable and reliable..

And micro, another long-standing brand.. But, lol, you building a server or dual processor setup? And from what I read the 1070 is a great card.. And the 2600, I think I considered that one also.. Another beast from what I remember..

But you'll have fun and be surprised at the same time if you haven't, like myself, built a new machine in a few years.. This one renewed my love for the build honestly..

If you can, go with the 99 chipset.. At the time at least, that was the newest one.. The tech, of course is ahead of the 97 I have.. I want to say more things are on one of the bus lanes of the cpu, including the m.2.. I think..

But things are so much more efficient and faster now.. Oh, and your power supply isn't as critical as far as wattage.. And along with that, if you go with Asus, your going to love the new bios! It's awesome!
From note 5..

Unread 12/29/2016, 05:27 PM   #31
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
There were all kinds of photoshops on RunRyder back in the day of it coming in upside down. That may be where you recognize it from. Like you, I've been out of the circle for several years too.
Ha ha ha.. Maybe.. RunRyder.. Lol, that place.. Another bunch of crazy clowns..

From note 5..

Unread 12/31/2016, 10:56 AM   #32
slief
RC Sponsor

I ended up renting a Tamron 60mm macro lens to play with. I got some surpringly good shots for a newbie. Here are a handful.. Some of these were taken through the viewing panes while others were taken with a top down viewer. I didn't play with ISO settings. I only played with white balance and F Stop. I think most were at F22.

Unread 12/31/2016, 11:00 AM   #33
slief
RC Sponsor

Unread 12/31/2016, 11:09 AM   #34
slief
RC Sponsor

A few fish pics. I'm not good at the fish. Since they are always moving and don't sit still long enough, I probably need to learn more to get better pictures and likely need a better lens for them.

Unread 12/31/2016, 11:10 AM   #35
slief
RC Sponsor

Unread 01/01/2017, 06:54 AM   #36
DamonG
Registered Member

Those look pretty good Scott!

From note 5..

Unread 01/02/2017, 07:42 PM   #37
Berny
Registered Member

Quote:

Pics looking great, if you take good video and upload it to youtube please share.

Berny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2017, 03:14 AM   #38
D1105
Registered Member

It's been a while since I lurked in this forum and I went straight to the photography section After my 180 reef tank crashed three years ago, I decided to pick up a new hobby. I went though my fair share of Sony mirrorless and currently have the A7RII and A7s. I just sold the A6000 four months ago and was happy with it but mainly used it for vacation and underwater pictures with a underwater housing. I would definitely recommend joining your local photography meetup groups, I learned a lot from experienced members. Good luck with your A6500, I've heard great reviews with that camera (no more overheating from 4k videos). I would also recommend sticking with native lenses for faster autofocus. I only kept my MC-11 to use with a Sigma 150-600 (canon mount) since Sony doesn't have that focal range yet.

D1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2017, 11:49 AM   #39
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1105 View Post
It's been a while since I lurked in this forum and I went straight to the photography section After my 180 reef tank crashed three years ago, I decided to pick up a new hobby. I went though my fair share of Sony mirrorless and currently have the A7RII and A7s. I just sold the A6000 four months ago and was happy with it but mainly used it for vacation and underwater pictures with a underwater housing. I would definitely recommend joining your local photography meetup groups, I learned a lot from experienced members. Good luck with your A6500, I've heard great reviews with that camera (no more overheating from 4k videos). I would also recommend sticking with native lenses for faster autofocus. I only kept my MC-11 to use with a Sigma 150-600 (canon mount) since Sony doesn't have that focal range yet.
Thanks for the great advice. i didn't even think about the local meetup groups. That's a great idea! I ended up returning the Tamron 16-300 which used the adapter. I just didn't see a good need for it since I also got a Sony 18-200 emount lens which I thought would be good for video too. After reading up on lenses for video, it seems there may have been better choices. In particular the Sony - E PZ 18-105mm f/4.0. I am keeping my eye out for one of those. I also picked up a slightly used Tamron 60mm Macro lens though that uses the Sony adapter. It was a great deal. It's the same model macro lens I recently rented and worked really well for some of the pictures I took. I also have that Sigma 60mm e mount lens which is a decent (not great) portrait lens that was really inexpensive. It seems to take decent shots too. I just don't want to go broke on lenses which I am finding is easy to do if you go with the high end stuff.