Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/18/2018, 04:06 PM   #1
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

Opinions on MicMol Smart LED light

Friend is about to start up a 75G tank. I'm not familiar with MicMol at all but his budget is tight and he linked this to me. Looking for some opinions on it.

He likes mostly softies and probably some LPS. I imagine though like most everyone that he will eventually want to try some SPS. Any of you lightning guys care to give me a run down on how this light will actually perform and what sort of expectations he can have? Blowing 500 to 1k for lights isn't really an option at this point.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075Q78674...lig_dp_it&th=1

AA-1200 96W Only 11mm (0.4"), Super thin Smart led aquarium light fashion design and great for saltwater marine reef coral LPS SPS fish tank.

Super bright LEDs, the real HD full spectrum building 7 bands which comes colorful spectrum of spectral combinations to fit your tank.

Smart Controller with timer, sunrise, sunset, lightning, 3 channel adjust intensity with 6 timer points, touch switches easy to control.

Adjustable super bracket, good for rim and rimless fish tank, Brackets Suit for tank size: 1185 ~ 1685mm (47" ~ 66").

Hanging Kits optional.

One-Year Limited Warranty. UL, Rosh, CE, SAA Certification Power Adapter, safe and efficient.

mndfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 04:12 PM   #2
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

No one? Doesn't have to be specifically experience with this exact light, just some opinions on if the technical claims will do what it says. Like is 96 watts across a 48" tank enough to keep softies and lps alive? etc?

Unread 06/19/2018, 04:22 PM   #3
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

I would stay away from it in a reef. The Led's are run at about .35W each, and are not capable of providing the light needed by most corals. He wants to look for something that uses 3W LED's. He can do a search on amazon for mars aqua. They are inexpensive, and capable of keeping all the corals he wants. He may need 2 for a softie/LPS tank, and probably 3 for SPS.

Unread 06/20/2018, 02:26 AM   #4
Redleg13b
Registered Member

I saw an open box mic mol on premium aquatics today that uses 3w led chips for the same cost as this light. But your friend may be better served with a mars aqua or vipraspectra .

Redleg13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 12:13 AM   #5
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

I talked him into at LEAST getting 2 of the mars aqua lights, but I'm trying to convince him to maybe buy a single AI hydra or prime for now, with plans to buy additional ones as he can down the road since the tank isn't even setup yet, let alone cycled n stuff. He has a lot of aspirations for what he wants but not the budget to do it. haha, so like most of us here.

Thanks for looking over that original light, I was super skeptical but LED's were fairly new back when I had a tank last before my current one, which is only a few months old and I went straight to an AI light without looking at options for larger tanks so I wanted some additional opinions. Would hate for him to burn 250 bucks on a light that won't cut it at all even a little.