Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/07/2014, 08:53 PM   #1351
SorsCode
Registered Member

Hzuiel - I'm using clones with no issue. I do own true Arduino Mega and Ethernet shield, but not using it on this project.

SorsCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2014, 09:21 PM   #1352
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Don't pay full retail price. Shop around.
I got a brand new original mega for $11.50 on ebay.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?to...482#msg1389482

clones work just fine.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2014, 11:08 PM   #1353
Hzuiel
Registered Member

So i want to take this slow and tackle one thing at a time. The first things i'm aiming for is switchable power supply with RTC so I can replace a day/night outlet timer and ethernet connectivity. I already bought some temperature probes so i might as well include that too.

So list of what i know i need:
Arduino Mega 2560 or compatible.
Ethernet shield
8 channel 5v relay
DS1307 RTC

If I am missing anything, please let me know. Including bits of wire(what gauge?) and everything.

I am planning to put the arduino and any expansion boards in it's own project box with adhesive nylon standoffs, rather than trying to fit everything in the chauvet, and use rj-45 jacks and plugs to terminate cables(aside from any bnc connectors), instead of 3.5mm jacks.

Out of curiosity, has anyone attempted any reef controllers using intel's galileo, or any combining of a raspberry pi and arduino?

Hzuiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2014, 11:09 PM   #1354
Hzuiel
Registered Member

Bah, the forum keeps giving me timeouts saying the hosting server is down, and this time it caused a double post.

Unread 10/08/2014, 04:53 AM   #1355
wgraham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
Don't pay full retail price. Shop around.
I got a brand new original mega for $11.50 on ebay.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?to...482#msg1389482

clones work just fine.
Use to live in Milpitas

wgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2014, 06:19 AM   #1356
rrbigdog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hzuiel View Post
So i want to take this slow and tackle one thing at a time. The first things i'm aiming for is switchable power supply with RTC so I can replace a day/night outlet timer and ethernet connectivity. I already bought some temperature probes so i might as well include that too.

Ethernet shield
8 channel 5v relay
DS1307 RTC

If I am missing anything, please let me know. Including bits of wire(what gauge?) and everything.

I am planning to put the arduino and any expansion boards in it's own project box with adhesive nylon standoffs, rather than trying to fit everything in the chauvet, and use rj-45 jacks and plugs to terminate cables(aside from any bnc connectors), instead of 3.5mm jacks.

Out of curiosity, has anyone attempted any reef controllers using intel's galileo, or any combining of a raspberry pi and arduino?
I built mine with a separate project box. I first started using RJ45 jacks but found it a pain to cut the box. So I switched to these. Drill a hole and snap in.

http://www.arcade-electronics.com/Ca...cad-30-712.htm

I found a Chauvet for 20 bucks couldn't pass it up so now I everything running with a 12vdc 2A power brick and using a db9 connection to the relay. I wanted a display and it makes it easier to see what the unit is doing on power up. Helped me troubleshoot a bad sd card slot on my ethernet shield.

I have a rPI running with a 4-port relay and temp but do not have it tied to an arduino. I know there are several projects that are doing this. But this project is "THE BEST I HAVE FOUND" d0ughb0y has done a great job.

rrbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2014, 09:47 AM   #1357
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:

Ethernet shield
8 channel 5v relay
DS1307 RTC

I highly recommend you add a buzzer and an I2C LCD.

you can get both for under $5 on ebay.
I initially wired everything on a breadboard, then moved it to a proto board. I simply used the breadboard jumper wires and cut the ends and used them to wire the proto board.

rrbigdog, that audio connector is a good find. is that a TRRS connector? I would have used that if I knew it existed.

Unread 10/08/2014, 09:54 AM   #1358
rrbigdog
Registered Member

Quote:
I highly recommend you add a buzzer and an I2C LCD.

you can get both for under $5 on ebay.
I initially wired everything on a breadboard, then moved it to a proto board. I simply used the breadboard jumper wires and cut the ends and used them to wire the proto board.

rrbigdog, that audio connector is a good find. is that a TRRS connector? I would have used that if I knew it existed.
It is a TRRS connector. I bought one of ebay to test....then I found who the manufacturer was and you can get better price direct from some of the electronic part sites. I bought 10 to use in my box. Working great so far.

Unread 10/08/2014, 10:13 AM   #1359
SorsCode
Registered Member

rrbigdog - Thanks for sharing, just ordered 25 of them.

SorsCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2014, 10:28 AM   #1360
rrbigdog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorsCode View Post
rrbigdog - Thanks for sharing, just ordered 25 of them.
FYI, One note to make. They are made for a .07 thickness. My box was thicker than that so I just snipped some of the tab to make for a thicker panel. Quick fix.

Unread 10/08/2014, 10:39 AM   #1361
rrbigdog
Registered Member

More sharing.

Here is my box for my frag tank.... not all your bells and whistles but will be perfect. Also, I got these to fit my LCD and the Sonar in.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Plastic-...item5d4c974920

Last edited by rrbigdog; 10/08/2014 at 10:55 AM.
Unread 10/08/2014, 10:58 AM   #1362
Hzuiel
Registered Member

I was planning to put the rj-45 plugs external, rather than cutting holes in the project box. Either via a biscuit jack with inserts, a surface mount wall plate junction box with inserts, or a patch panel. You can get 12 port patch panels for 15 bucks, providing a total of 48 pairs you could run external from there.

The chauvet brand is I assume a more well known name and probably built more robust, but i've seen a couple other people build switched power supplies from a gutted apc battery backup, and one of these. http://www.amazon.com/Technical-Pro-...ref=pd_cp_MI_1 Which actually includes a 5v circuit that could be used to power the relay board itself.

Could http://www.amazon.com/American-Pc-10...ds=american+dj
or http://www.amazon.com/Eliminator-Lig...ref=pd_cp_MI_0 be viable options as well?

Unread 10/08/2014, 11:08 AM   #1363
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

nice. I see you just use uln2803 and db9 to connect to an "unmodified" chauvet?

how much space does the audio jack take inside the chassis? I can't find any technical diagram with dimensions for that connector.
I'm thinking if I replace my PCB mounted jacks, if there will be enough space for these chasis mounted jacks.

The advantage of using stereo jacks: they are cheap, it is way easier to drill a round hole than to make a square hole, and if you accidentally trip on one, it will disconnect from the controller and not drag the whole controller down and yet provides a secure enough connection for this application.

Unread 10/08/2014, 11:20 AM   #1364
rrbigdog
Registered Member

Quote:

how much space does the audio jack take inside the chassis? I can't find any technical diagram with dimensions for that connector.
I'm thinking if I replace my PCB mounted jacks, if there will be enough space for these chasis mounted jacks.

The advantage of using stereo jacks: they are cheap, it is way easier to drill a round hole than to make a square hole, and if you accidentally trip on one, it will disconnect from the controller and not drag the whole controller down and yet provides a secure enough connection for this application.
The total length is about 7/8". take a look. inside would be about 3/4"

Unread 10/08/2014, 11:22 AM   #1365
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
I was planning to put the rj-45 plugs external, rather than cutting holes in the project box. Either via a biscuit jack with inserts, a surface mount wall plate junction box with inserts, or a patch panel. You can get 12 port patch panels for 15 bucks, providing a total of 48 pairs you could run external from there.

The chauvet brand is I assume a more well known name and probably built more robust, but i've seen a couple other people build switched power supplies from a gutted apc battery backup, and one of these. http://www.amazon.com/Technical-Pro-...ref=pd_cp_MI_1 Which actually includes a 5v circuit that could be used to power the relay board itself.

Could http://www.amazon.com/American-Pc-10...ds=american+dj
or http://www.amazon.com/Eliminator-Lig...ref=pd_cp_MI_0 be viable options as well?
there is no right or wrong way to do this. if it works for you, do it.

the way I did it, I was going for a self contained all in one box solution.

Unread 10/08/2014, 11:34 AM   #1366
rrbigdog
Registered Member

Quote:

Yep. using the unmodded SR8. My unit was not the exact same you have. Same brand and same model but my unit was smaller then the one you used. Using the separate project box for everything except the sr8 worked great... Again thanks for all the work you have done on this project.

Unread 10/08/2014, 04:59 PM   #1367
wgraham
Registered Member

d0ughb0y, you can't comment #define _Temp out it will not compile.

wgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2014, 05:51 PM   #1368
Hzuiel
Registered Member

Okay i just went wild on ebay, mega, ethernet shield, rtc, 8 channel, and jump wires.

Unread 10/08/2014, 06:07 PM   #1369
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgraham View Post
d0ughb0y, you can't comment #define _Temp out it will not compile.
try
#define MAXTEMP 0

Unread 10/08/2014, 11:36 PM   #1370
formula409
Registered Member

How hard would it be to get the relay board controlled by a pcf8575?
would be so amazing to be able to run a 4pole 3.5mm to it!
the quest for a 4 pole splitter continues!

formula409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2014, 06:24 AM   #1371
formula409
Registered Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-4-POLE...-/190608490828

Does she look like a go'er?

formula409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2014, 08:10 AM   #1372
rrbigdog
Registered Member

That's one expensive cable....

How about these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-4-POLE...item51c4070b5e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CablesOnline...item3f30e11483

Last edited by rrbigdog; 10/09/2014 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Removed one item.....
Unread 10/09/2014, 09:31 AM   #1373
Moomin1967
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula409 View Post
How hard would it be to get the relay board controlled by a pcf8575?
would be so amazing to be able to run a 4pole 3.5mm to it!
the quest for a 4 pole splitter continues!

I've got confused, can someone remind me what the 4pole splitter is for?

Thanks

Moomin1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2014, 09:51 AM   #1374
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

to hook up more devices to the i2c bus.
Currently, the connection to LCD is an I2c bus.

the pcf8575 is similar to the chip used in the I2C LCD backpack circuit (MCP28xxx).

I don't want to pay even $5 for these splitters. If you have space in your project box, you can just more TRRS jacks for additional I2C device connections. The LED control will be via I2C. You can also use the EZO atlas stamps on I2C, so potentially you can have 5 or 6 I2C devices attached to the controller (plus the RTC). Or if there is no more space to add more jacks on the controller box, you can build an I2C expansion box by using the one connection to the controller, then splitting it out to N connections on the project box.

You will have to modify or replace the whole outlet routines to use I2C for IO control. The routines cannot run inside an interrupt handler anymore, and must be run in the main loop. It can be done, just not going to be trivial.

Unread 10/09/2014, 10:07 AM   #1375
Moomin1967
Registered Member

Quote:
to hook up more devices to the i2c bus.
Currently, the connection to LCD is an I2c bus.

the pcf8575 is similar to the chip used in the I2C LCD backpack circuit (MCP28xxx).

I don't want to pay even $5 for these splitters. If you have space in your project box, you can just more TRRS jacks for additional I2C device connections. The LED control will be via I2C. You can also use the EZO atlas stamps on I2C, so potentially you can have 5 or 6 I2C devices attached to the controller (plus the RTC). Or if there is no more space to add more jacks on the controller box, you can build an I2C expansion box by using the one connection to the controller, then splitting it out to N connections on the project box.

You will have to modify or replace the whole outlet routines to use I2C for IO control. The routines cannot run inside an interrupt handler anymore, and must be run in the main loop. It can be done, just not going to be trivial.
So how about RJ11?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-RJ11...item1c3abc61fb

Last edited by Moomin1967; 10/09/2014 at 10:13 AM.
Moomin1967 is offline   Reply With Quote