Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/11/2018, 07:06 PM   #1
jimbow
Registered Member

Trying to adjust KH

Here is my tank information
SG= 1.026 (35)
PO4=.08
Nitrates=0
Nitrites=0
CA=450
MG=1300
PH=7.92
KH=7

It is a 150 Gal with a 30 gal sump about 1/2 full of water. I'm guessing the total water volume is about 150 Gal maybe a little less. On advice I got here I made the Formula #1. I'm trying to get the KH up to 8.5. according to the calculator I need to add 171 ML to get to there. I wanted to move it gradually so I added 50ML about 48 hours ago. There was no change. I added another 50ML 18 hours later again no change. I added another 50 ML about 12 hours after that. Still KH is 7. The only real change is the PH is up from 7.76 to 7.92.

Seems like I am adding a lot and not getting anything. I can keep adding but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.

jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 07:18 PM   #2
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Are you sure your test kit is accurate? Do you have a second kit or someone else that can test to compare?
What are you using to bump the DKH up with?
If your PH is going up with the Alk dosing your DKH should be raising as well.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 07:47 PM   #3
jimbow
Registered Member

I'm using a red sea kit. I guess I could purchase another kit and see what I get.

I'm using the baking soda baked in the oven for an hour and added to RODI water.

Unread 02/11/2018, 08:22 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

50 ml is a very small dose for that size tank. I suspect that the corals and coralline could consume that much in a few hours. My soft coral tanks went through 2-3 dKH per day. I would dose 100 ml into the main display, wait a few minutes to let the supplement spread, and then test the alkalinity level.

Unread 02/11/2018, 08:29 PM   #5
ant123mon
Registered Member

I really like the Hanna digital alk tester, my tank is very similar in size to yours and I dose 15ml a day and it holds at 10dkh. I guess I’m surprised after reading what others said that I only have to dose 15ml, anyhow if it were me I’d find out how much it takes to barely raise it then keep adding to it slowly to prevent swings. FYI I am not a pro

ant123mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 02:36 AM   #6
snowdrop6
Registered Member

I had a similar experience. If everything is constant, adding 1 kh extra will increase 1 kh. However by adding 1 more kh, you will change your system so that everything is not constant. For example kh consumption from coral or others will increase and precipitation will increase, which will make your system won’t get full 1kh increase. In my case, I tried to increase 1kh from 7 kh but turns out it decreased even lower than 7 kh after a day or two. That’s what I figured from my experience. It could be wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowdrop6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 10:11 AM   #7
jimbow
Registered Member

OK it does look like I am not using enough. The instructions say to start at 60ML per day to maintain. I'll add more and see what happens.