Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2013, 05:45 PM   #676
EddieJ
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewk View Post
How many total doses did you do? I'm about 4 in and can't really notice any difference so far.
I did 5 doses as I have 250 gallons net water volume and I purchased one bottle. Things looked much better after the initial dose and 2 day blackout. I am not declaring victory just yet. I noticed a small patch on the sand which I siphoned right out. Wish I would have ordered more as I hear that they are now out of stock.

EddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2013, 06:50 AM   #677
turbo21
Registered Member

has anybody else noticed that these outbreaks seem to be seasonal. Looking at my past posts on other sites, i have fought dino's for the last 3 years starting in early march and they dissappear by the end of april.

my tank is in a my game room which receives no outside light. Ph is steady through the winter months because my windows are still closed. I usually get rid of them using the lights out method. i will go 3 days out and maybe a week back on and then 3 days out again and the bloom seems to burn itself out by the end of april.

Other people in the pittsburgh area are noticing the same thing. starting to think it is something that the water company is doing. We got notices that they are gong through their annual chlormaine spike to help clean out the water systems. I am running the chloramine remover (catalytic carbon) on my ro/di (5 stage unit) and it doesn't seem to help. Is there a way even at 0 tds that chloramines can make it through?

anybody else know if there community is using chloramines. it seems that this area only doses them periodically and right after i end with dinos? hmmmmmm

turbo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 09:52 AM   #678
Herbie
Yep,that one

Just an FYI for everyone. Bulk Reef Supply now carries the Ultra Algea X. I got some from Barrier Reefs in Washington State, and they were GREAT to deal with, but they are on the opposite side of the country for me, and it took more than a week to get it. BRS would have been more convienient and faster shipping (for me). Also its cheaper.

I bought a 250ML bottle of Ultra Algea X, but never even opened it. The peroxide worked wonders for me, and I am still dino free after my infestation. Just peroxide, and ramped up my kalk dosing and dino's disapeared overnight.

HTH
Herbie

Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 11:19 AM   #679
Skynyrd Fish
Registered Member

I have found the same with kalk drip. Anyone feel that the kalk could be binding some of the PO4 and taking what dino's need with it?

Current Tank Info: 125 gal, sps, clams, and softies
Skynyrd Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 02:17 PM   #680
lewk
Registered Member

9 doses in on Ultra Algae X and still have lots on the back glass and some on the rocks. I don't have nearly as much on the front glass and haven't had to clean it in days.

Does everyone stick to the rule of not using it longer than 21 days at a time?

Shutting off the lights for 3 days may be my next step.

lewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 02:17 PM   #681
KMB
Registered Member

I recieved 4 bottles of the Algae X a couple weeks ago. But what looks like dino's was not but cyno. My nitrates with new test kit showing high. So going to be battling that but would rather have that than dino's again. Will save the algae x I guess in case I need it for treatment later. Has anyone treating their dino's with algae x notice it wiped out hair algae also?

KMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 02:37 PM   #682
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMB View Post
I recieved 4 bottles of the Algae X a couple weeks ago. But what looks like dino's was not but cyno. My nitrates with new test kit showing high. So going to be battling that but would rather have that than dino's again. Will save the algae x I guess in case I need it for treatment later. Has anyone treating their dino's with algae x notice it wiped out hair algae also?
Wanted to ask that last question as well. I haven't tried this stuff but my dinoflagellates seemed to die back over time as a result of kalk and peroxide use. But does the algae x work well on green hair algae and bubble algae? I'd like to be rid of all that as well since my cuc won't touch it, but at the same time I'm afraid of hurting my sps with a nitrate and phosphate spike which would likely follow.

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 05:18 PM   #683
EddieJ
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
Wanted to ask that last question as well. I haven't tried this stuff but my dinoflagellates seemed to die back over time as a result of kalk and peroxide use. But does the algae x work well on green hair algae and bubble algae? I'd like to be rid of all that as well since my cuc won't touch it, but at the same time I'm afraid of hurting my sps with a nitrate and phosphate spike which would likely follow.
It killed off my bubble algae in 5 doses....

EddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 07:27 PM   #684
Kieth71
Registered Member

I have beat down the dinos again.This time with dripping kalk at night.I made a kalk dripper with a 1 gallon jug airline tubing and a john guest fitting.I have not done a water change in about 2 weeks but the tank looks great.My ph which when the dinos were at their worst was about 7.50 is averaging in the 8.12 range.I went 3 days of lights off before starting on the kalk dripping.The algae x worked as well but as i stated earlier in the thread i dosed seachem fuel and it brought it back.My light cycle is almost back to where i want it.-Kieth

Kieth71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2013, 12:19 PM   #685
jacob.morgan78
Registered Member

You guys think this is dinos? It's a fairly new tank that was started with dry rock and sand. Any chance it could be part of the cycle?

Below is the same tank about 2-3 weeks later after trying some water changes, suctioning it out, new carbon, and lights out (partially covered) for about three days.

Last edited by jacob.morgan78; 03/27/2013 at 12:32 PM.
jacob.morgan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2013, 06:32 AM   #686
DNA
Registered Member

That looks like dinos to me Jacob.
Lovely commentation in your first video and I do agree with what was said.

I raised my pH to 8,4 for two days and it had absolutely no effect at all.
It still grew as before, water coloration did not change or the amount of floating debris or skimmer cup fill rate.
I even did a fancy before and after photo comparison.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 07:36 AM   #687
DNA
Registered Member

Tried the 3 day blackout.
It's like pressing a pause button.
Everything stays intact and ready to go as soon as you hit the play button again.

It seems to work for some, but in my case it was completely useless.

Unread 05/09/2013, 07:37 AM   #688
DNA
Registered Member

Has anyone tried to shift the spectrum of their lights to the blue end?

Unread 05/09/2013, 08:03 AM   #689
bazeball05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
Tried the 3 day blackout.
It's like pressing a pause button.
Everything stays intact and ready to go as soon as you hit the play button again.

It seems to work for some, but in my case it was completely useless.
Did you do anything else at the same time as the blackout? I did a water change, changed my gfo and my carbon, made it so my skimmer was filled every 4 hours, and raised the pH to 8.4-8.5 and it worked. It killed all the dinos. A multi pronged attack is the only way to kill dinos

bazeball05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 08:13 AM   #690
JustinGr
Clown Pimp

I did a full 6 treatment of AlgaeX and my tank is fine now, several months later no more Dino. Lights back on full tilt, feeding back, etc. I have a spare bottle ready, but I think I am good to go.

Justin Grant

Current Tank Info: Reef:75 Gallon, 90# LR, SSB, 2x AI SOL Blues Managed by Neptune's Apex, Inland Aquatics Dump Style ATS, 2 Koralia on wave maker, and MP 10 on custom wave.
JustinGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 09:53 AM   #691
DNA
Registered Member

I did a water change the week before and replaced both carbon and GFO.
I also added a bit of Vodka to assist the bio pellets, siphoned the sand before and after and ran a couple of filtersocks.

The dinos loved the fresh seawater.
I could see them forming within half an hour of the lights coming back on.

Algae X is not available over here and it would cost me at least 1000 bucks and some months waiting for it to be cleared by the bureaucrats.

Unread 05/10/2013, 06:23 AM   #692
jacob.morgan78
Registered Member

I posted the below on a local forum and thought I would paste it here. This was about two months ago and I'm still dino free. :fingerscrossed:

I only stopped dosing yesterday so anything can still happen but thought I would post my experience and some before/after shots. I had tried lights out before without much success... a little die off but not a lot. From Thursday to Wednesday, I dosed 5mL of a new bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide every night. That's about a 2mL per 10 gallon dose because my estimated total volume is 25 gallon. That is higher than what's generally recommended but I didn't have much in the tank so I decided to up it a little. During this time I didn't turn on the lights and shaded the side of the tank closest to the window, not 100% black out. I did turn the lights on once so the fish could come out and eat. I didn't have any coral in the tank yet but did have 2 firefish and a small cleanup crew of hermits and a couple margarita snails. Everybody seems happy.

Before

After

Feel free to ask any questions!

jacob.morgan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2013, 08:32 AM   #693
BrooksReef
Registered Member

So, what is the general rule of thumb for dosing peroxide? Is it going to effect any of my SPS corals?

BrooksReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2013, 08:34 AM   #694
lewk
Registered Member

Man! Another guy in Austin hit by dinos. I dosed 15ml in 150 gallons, didn't hurt anything. I did lose a cleaner shrimp during that time, but can't really say one way or another if it was because of the peroxide.

Unread 05/17/2013, 08:38 AM   #695
BrooksReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Man! Another guy in Austin hit by dinos. I dosed 15ml in 150 gallons, didn't hurt anything. I did lose a cleaner shrimp during that time, but can't really say one way or another if it was because of the peroxide.
Well, honestly I'm not even sure if they are Dinos. My tank is less than 2 months old, and this brown nasty stuff just keeps settling on my SPS corals, and the back of the glass. Its funny... it isn't on the bottom of the glass at all. There is some on the rocks, though.

Did the Peroxide work for you?

Unread 05/17/2013, 08:52 AM   #696
BrooksReef
Registered Member

And is it just regular 3% Hydrogen Peroxide? 1ml/10g?

Unread 05/17/2013, 08:52 AM   #697
lewk
Registered Member

It helped, but they came back after a couple weeks of dosing. Tried the Ultra Algae X for a while, which didn't totally get rid of them either. Got fed up and turned the lights off for 3 days. Had some remnants after that, sucked them out with a turkey baster and haven't seen them since. The long period of Algae X and lights out caused some of my SPS to bleach a bit, but things have come around since then.

Unread 05/17/2013, 08:56 AM   #698
lewk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksReef View Post
And is it just regular 3% Hydrogen Peroxide? 1ml/10g?
That's what I used.

Unread 05/17/2013, 10:33 AM   #699
DNA
Registered Member

I wanted to see if two pounds (1kg) extra of GFO would make any difference.
A week has passed and the answer is no.

Unread 05/17/2013, 10:40 AM   #700
brandon429
Registered Member.

Quote:
absolutely thats why the cleaner died. most sensitive animal we keep to peroxide. sps are not sensitive to peroxide in the common doses used, none of them. the peroxide may or may not work its ok to try based on the doses people have been posting.

brandon429 is offline   Reply With Quote