Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/21/2013, 06:03 PM   #1351
danimallaminad
Registered Member

That video was insane. That song was perfect for all the hits and stuff. Also wat kind of fish was that it attacked?

danimallaminad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2013, 06:46 PM   #1352
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimallaminad View Post
That video was insane. That song was perfect for all the hits and stuff. Also wat kind of fish was that it attacked?
Thanks for the compliment! It's the comments (as few or many they may be) that keep me making videos.

As for the fish there were two, 1 striped grunter, missing a tail which wasn't removed by me but by a spearer Morgoth when the fish was first offered to the spearer and captured it only ate the tail then released the fish alive. Not wanting the fish any more (for some reason...) and now realizing the fishes lack of mobility I decided it would be good for a smasher to bring down swiftly.

The other silver fish is something I still don't really know of but I know this...they are limitless in number but do NOT last long in the bucket or tank, I only collected one batch of them because the following morning over half a dozen were dead in the live food tank and rest swimming abnormally.

Unread 09/21/2013, 06:59 PM   #1353
danimallaminad
Registered Member

Hmmm thats very interesting. I just watched abunch of your videos and they are all hilarious and filmed perfectly. I just got my first mantis shrimp and he is one of the coolest little critters there is. Where do u collect the fish? Its saltwater correct?

Unread 09/21/2013, 07:12 PM   #1354
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Hmmm thats very interesting. I just watched abunch of your videos and they are all hilarious and filmed perfectly. I just got my first mantis shrimp and he is one of the coolest little critters there is. Where do u collect the fish? Its saltwater correct?
All the live food I collect is Saltwater and collect out the front of my place at low tide / high tide, quite convenient. I am more interested in Diversity and am keen to go out at night to try and collect some ceph's as I here they are often found at low tide night time on the mud flats.

Unread 09/21/2013, 07:18 PM   #1355
danimallaminad
Registered Member

Thats awesome. So do you have a favorite mantis shrimp of your group or are they all your favorites?

Unread 09/21/2013, 07:46 PM   #1356
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Thats awesome. So do you have a favorite mantis shrimp of your group or are they all your favorites?
My favorite would likely be either Minos (L.colemani) or Rocky (G.graphurus), as far as my own crews listings go...They are very entertaining and always creative!

I don't know if I could label one species though as a stand a lone favorite, it's the aspects of specific individuals and species that make me favorite certain ones.

For Example...

L.maculata - It's size is undeniable, being the largest of all Stomatopdos.
O.scyllarus - It's size & power, again a force to be reckoned with.
G.graphurus - Their small size, color, & interactive nature, amazing to watch.
L.colemani - Unique, rare, hard to find info on them period.

All these things make them favorites .

Unread 09/21/2013, 08:17 PM   #1357
danimallaminad
Registered Member

Thats awesome. I have a G.Smithii and just trying to find one showed me how hard it is to come across mantis shrimp and its funny telling people who aren't into fish about my mantis shrimp and they always say like "why would you set up a tank just for a shrimp" haha. I saw your chiragra Megatron in a photo and I thought he looked awesome and just a perfect name for it cause of the colors, makes me want to get a chiragra just because of his colors haha. I have yet to name mine though.

Unread 09/21/2013, 09:03 PM   #1358
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Thats awesome. I have a G.Smithii and just trying to find one showed me how hard it is to come across mantis shrimp and its funny telling people who aren't into fish about my mantis shrimp and they always say like "why would you set up a tank just for a shrimp" haha. I saw your chiragra Megatron in a photo and I thought he looked awesome and just a perfect name for it cause of the colors, makes me want to get a chiragra just because of his colors haha. I have yet to name mine though.
Glad to inspire, Megatron is also about to undergo the next DIY PVC burrow which will be larger then the rest in STAND A but be the same (opposite everything though) as Rockys! In doing this I hope to provide myself even more chances at seeing him seeing as the fearless small smasher doesn't mind foraging outside his cavity daily if not hourly.

Unread 09/21/2013, 09:34 PM   #1359
danimallaminad
Registered Member

That will be cool. Do u have a thread on your diy pvc burrows? Or if not could you maybe give me a basic rundown of what you do, if its not to much of a bother?

Unread 09/22/2013, 07:53 AM   #1360
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Refugium

Complete with 5inch DSB, Large pieces of Live Rock & Loads of Macro Algae and a few Stomatopods , this tank (Top Tank of STAND is one big filter)!

Hopefully the corals down below will benefit when I add them!

More to come!

Unread 09/25/2013, 04:36 AM   #1361
Kharn
MANTISMAN

One p*ssed off giant spearer...The Leviathan (L.maculata) is angry about something...

More to come as I try and film him in this angry state taking out a fish

Unread 09/25/2013, 06:20 AM   #1362
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Ok so here is a run down of what just happened...

Firstly a fish was added to The Leviathans compartment, however the large spearer showed no interest...but still clearly angry...so I down sized the fish...still no interest.

Through frustration I removed the small fish and placed it into the Top Tank of STAND B with Minos (L.colemani) and once again...the smaller but weirder spearer gave some good footage for the camera.

Basically Minos did his classic entrance, that is when the fish is first added, he instantly came out of his burrow and stalked the fish he even struck it but didn't impale so retreated back to his burrow, after another glancing strike a few minutes later he finally managed to snag the fish on the third strike, however a struggle ensued.

The spearer impaled the fish through the tail in the flesh, quite deep if not entirely through, for about five or more minutes, the fish and spearer struggled at the entrance, one trying to pull down, the other trying to pull up, eventually...the fish won, it freed itself and swam off but not without a severely damage tail fan which now hinders its motion/speed.

I captured about 20 High Speed (slow motion) recordings of the struggle between Minos & the fish .

Unread 09/29/2013, 12:19 AM   #1363
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Their might be a little setback in new footage to come (specifically videos)...

I seemed to of somehow deleted my YouTube account and the mix of loosing the G.mail account where my YouTube account is sending the verification for recovery to isn't making things any easier but more of a looping effect...

Regrettably I am going to have to say that for now all action will have to be put on hold until I can resolve this rather serious issue...

Unread 10/08/2013, 07:42 AM   #1364
Kharn
MANTISMAN

As I have told others that have given their condolences...

NOTHING will stop me from coming back and starting a new!

The new FaceBook Page is up!
https://www.facebook.com/kharn.thestomatopod

The new YouTube Page is up!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UChgE-Mexf0f59mLCJC7ACJw

And now for my first new video since the mass fall out!

It's a short clip but I really personally like it, the footage is 1 entire piece of the Kraken chasing down a fish of similar size...its quite difficult to capture these creatures in high speed whilst they shoot about a tank, let alone in close up to, originally the whole video was in slow motion but I made certain parts 'faster' to help match the music used .

Hope you enjoy!

P.S. I am in the works of making a new video as well about 2mins long but with many species in it. Stay Tuned!

Unread 10/08/2013, 12:31 PM   #1365
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

Hey Karn can you get your hands on a couple SQWDs? I would like to see these in your system to get more variations in flow patterens. O and after watching that video I am on my way to the fish store right now to get a cromis for my mantis.

Slow is smooth, smooth is steady, and steady is fast.

Current Tank Info: Enough to be considered an addict.
TundraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2013, 02:28 AM   #1366
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

Any updates on that cute little stonefish?

Unread 10/09/2013, 06:36 AM   #1367
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraGuy View Post
Hey Karn can you get your hands on a couple SQWDs? I would like to see these in your system to get more variations in flow patterens.
I'm confused as to what brought this comment about ?

Unread 10/09/2013, 06:38 AM   #1368
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraGuy View Post
Any updates on that cute little stonefish?
Not rite now, I do know it's eating I am keen to try and catch its strike in High Speed

Unread 10/09/2013, 10:44 AM   #1369
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharn View Post
As I have told others that have given their condolences...

NOTHING will stop me from coming back and starting a new!

The new FaceBook Page is up!
https://www.facebook.com/kharn.thestomatopod

The new YouTube Page is up!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UChgE-Mexf0f59mLCJC7ACJw

And now for my first new video since the mass fall out!

It's a short clip but I really personally like it, the footage is 1 entire piece of the Kraken chasing down a fish of similar size...its quite difficult to capture these creatures in high speed whilst they shoot about a tank, let alone in close up to, originally the whole video was in slow motion but I made certain parts 'faster' to help match the music used .

Hope you enjoy!

P.S. I am in the works of making a new video as well about 2mins long but with many species in it. Stay Tuned!
I never actually seen a smasher spear a fish before! Although I was aware they can do so.

Excellant footage! Was that slowed down by chance? Whenever the mantis would strike it was still extremely fast so I still couldn't tell.

Unread 10/09/2013, 02:45 PM   #1370
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calappidae View Post
I never actually seen a smasher spear a fish before! Although I was aware they can do so.

Excellant footage! Was that slowed down by chance? Whenever the mantis would strike it was still extremely fast so I still couldn't tell.
Actually the whole video was recorded in High Speed (recorded in slow motion) I just sped up some parts in it the video was recorded at 400FPS.

Unread 10/09/2013, 04:29 PM   #1371
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Finally after many months of procrastination and anticipation...I finally have the funds to complete the stands!

As I said in the past I have already purchased everything except the most important part...the overflows which intern has prevented me doing anything with my new equipment (except the lights which are all in place).

With the arrival of the overflows I can finally kiss the large canister filters goodbye! I'm very very anxious to see these skimmers in action!

Then the reefing begins

I'm also contemplating on NOT changing the Juggernauts old tank for some spearers...I am leaning towards just being patient and waiting for a phone call about the elusive Hemisquilla australiensis.

Unread 10/09/2013, 05:22 PM   #1372
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

I just posted about the sqwd due to all the algae growing in one direction . Not for any other reason.

Unread 10/09/2013, 05:47 PM   #1373
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

Also I would add that with the current drain holes being taken off line for the new overflow box replacements you can now use these bulkheads as returns and put a sqwd on to make the water change in direction. Just mount the overflow boxes in the middle compartments. I I under stand the set ups right you would still end up with laminar flow but instead of everything flowing in one long direction you would end up with everything being pushed to the middle. Also you would not have to sacrifice flow in the tanks by just splitting the returns with a t having flow cut in half.

As you know I am always throwing ideas at people, looking forward to see some nasty nog headed skimmers in your near futer pix.

Unread 10/09/2013, 09:17 PM   #1374
Kharn
MANTISMAN

I really did NOT design my tanks well...

Having said that the overflows incoming are JUST for the bottom tank of each stand to connect the whole stand to the sump.

Down the track I will probably replace all tanks in STAND A & B or at least modify them with internal rear wall overflows for maximum surface skimming.

Flow rite now ain't a problem...its my ATO system...which is me and a bucket and a hose and a tap....I'm in NO WAY using the proper water...but again that is about to all change with my large 500L-1000L modified rainwater tank / RODI storage and ATO system.

Unread 10/09/2013, 09:20 PM   #1375
Kharn
MANTISMAN

I can purchase in bulk supply RODI water at 50c/litre and I suspect such a large ATO storage tank could last well over 6months