Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/11/2016, 10:38 PM   #351
gus6464
Registered Member

Sorry to say this but Kessil needs to hire American software developers for their lights. I see this all the time in my line of work and Asian developers tend to not care much about polish. Even with EU developers, UX is but an afterthought. That is why all the German lights have such crappy looking software.

gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2016, 01:56 PM   #352
hitawaah
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
Yea, you know I am happy with the light but Kessil really dropped the ball on this one big time. If they had not had the app control questions, uncertainty, and issues the AP700 would have really taken off by this point in sales. The light it's self is just fantastic! I still don't see anything to beat it now or future soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm getting close to setting up my lights in my canopy, now I'm wondering if someone like you who has ran the light since (I believe you said January) sorry if that's incorrect but anyway, a newbie like me is going to have way more problems with it? You had a lot of time to use it play around with settings and intensity and such, yet you love the light but dislike the app that lets you really use it to its full potential.

hitawaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2016, 02:20 PM   #353
LXXero
Moved On

i think the biggest mistake they made was not putting kessil logic and/or some equivalent to it on this thing. that way people struggling with the app would have had the option to just go do their own thing, even if it doesn't give as much control and just emulates the curves of the a160/a360

LXXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2016, 02:27 PM   #354
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitawaah View Post
I'm getting close to setting up my lights in my canopy, now I'm wondering if someone like you who has ran the light since (I believe you said January) sorry if that's incorrect but anyway, a newbie like me is going to have way more problems with it? You had a lot of time to use it play around with settings and intensity and such, yet you love the light but dislike the app that lets you really use it to its full potential.

I never said I dislike the app, just was just indicating that with the questions going around with the app Kessil may have lost sales.

You shouldn't have any problems, I never did. The apps I have used are the iPad and iPhone apps, the phone app I find is the best of the two. The only little quirk I have found was that the green levels are hidden until you adjust the main spectrum. I just change it and change it back and the green bar appears. It took me just 15 min to set my lights up in the beginning, and any adjustments after that are easy.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2016, 02:28 PM   #355
dartier
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXXero View Post
i think the biggest mistake they made was not putting kessil logic and/or some equivalent to it on this thing. that way people struggling with the app would have had the option to just go do their own thing, even if it doesn't give as much control and just emulates the curves of the a160/a360
I was under the impression that it had Kessil logic built in? I thought that was the reason for the lack of control compared to other LEDs on the market (E.g You can't really setup the spectrum "wrong"). Not sure what marketing material I read it in ...

Dennis

Current Tank Info: 560G Miracles tank in progress, 80Frag Temporary
dartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2016, 02:29 PM   #356
bif24701
Registered Member

Kessil AP 700 Owners Gather Here!

Quote:

The light dose have Kessil logic. You can control the light just fine with the buttons but you cannot program it to ramp or stuff like that. The app also uses Kessil logic also.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Last edited by bif24701; 10/12/2016 at 02:36 PM.
Unread 10/12/2016, 02:32 PM   #357
dartier
Registered Member

Yep, the webpage for the AP700 states that it does use Kessil Logic (http://www.kessil.com/aquarium/Saltwater_AP700.php).

Dennis

Current Tank Info: 560G Miracles tank in progress, 80Frag Temporary
dartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2016, 02:37 PM   #358
bif24701
Registered Member

Kessil logic might be the single best thing about these Kessil lights. It removes the guessing and errors that beginners face when setting up LEDs and ensures that no matter what the lights will provide exactly what the corals need.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 10/12/2016, 02:38 PM   #359
Thor2j
Registered Member

Quote:
The light dose have Kessil logic. You can control the light just fine with the buttons but you cannot program it to ramp or stuff like that. The app also uses Kessil logic also.

Intensity does ramp, color doesnt

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Thor2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2016, 02:45 PM   #360
vhuang168
Registered Member

Quote:

It does have kessil logic in it. The control is the same as on the A160/360 lights. Color n intensity are the only options. With the newer app, they added separate red n green sliders if you want to add those to the mix. I personally don't use any red or green in my schedule.

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2016, 03:04 PM   #361
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor2j View Post
Intensity does ramp, color doesnt

As in programming? A schedule ramp up and down. You can manually control both color and intensity.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 10/12/2016, 03:12 PM   #362
Thor2j
Registered Member

Quote:
As in programming? A schedule ramp up and down. You can manually control both color and intensity.

When u build a schedule the intensity ramps up and down between the 2 points. Color is a hard change at that point.

Unread 10/12/2016, 08:27 PM   #363
Natural Blue
Registered Member

How high and what program are you Red Sea Reefer 250 guys running your AP700 at? I don't have access to a par meter and I've just been ramping mine up slowly but I have mine at 8" above the water with a max intensity of 50% for an hour and half.

I just turned the lunar cycle on tonight but it looks way to bright so I'll probably turn it off.

Natural Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2016, 08:29 PM   #364
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Blue View Post
How high and what program are you Red Sea Reefer 250 guys running your AP700 at? I don't have access to a par meter and I've just been ramping mine up slowly but I have mine at 8" above the water with a max intensity of 50% for an hour and half.

I just turned the lunar cycle on tonight but it looks way to bright so I'll probably turn it off.

According to Kessil you need a minimum of 4 hour consistent peak.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 10/12/2016, 08:31 PM   #365
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor2j View Post
When u build a schedule the intensity ramps up and down between the 2 points. Color is a hard change at that point.

I'm sorry I must have been confused. I thought we where discussing the manual control buttons on the fixture and controlling color and intensity.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 10/12/2016, 08:37 PM   #366
Natural Blue
Registered Member

Quote:
According to Kessil you need a minimum of 4 hour consistent peak.

4 hours of peak.....I'm guessing I should work up to that? I just went from 45% to 50% peak the last week. It's so hard to tell if its to much intensity without a par meter. Corals are doing good with the exception of a couple of zoas that won't open, but my other zoas are fine.

I went ahead and extended peak time an hour for now.

Also, is there a way to play with your program points without the light changing? I asked Kessil for this with the beta app. Like right now my blues are at 15% and I want to play with my lighting schedule without having the lights actually change to my peak lighting time. It freaks the fish out.

Natural Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2016, 11:39 PM   #367
hitawaah
Registered Member

Quote:
I never said I dislike the app, just was just indicating that with the questions going around with the app Kessil may have lost sales.

You shouldn't have any problems, I never did. The apps I have used are the iPad and iPhone apps, the phone app I find is the best of the two. The only little quirk I have found was that the green levels are hidden until you adjust the main spectrum. I just change it and change it back and the green bar appengars. It took me just 15 min to set my lights up in the beginning, and any adjustments after that are easy.

bif, sorry for misquoting you. I believe we had talked in an earlier post and I said that all I have are andriod products. Anyway are they(andriod) working as good as the iphone app? I kinda sucks that kessil has such a great light yet some people can't use it to it's full potential. I'm sure eventually they will get all the bugs worked out but at the price of that light it should have come ready to go.

Unread 10/13/2016, 10:49 AM   #368
Thor2j
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Blue View Post
4 hours of peak.....I'm guessing I should work up to that? I just went from 45% to 50% peak the last week. It's so hard to tell if its to much intensity without a par meter. Corals are doing good with the exception of a couple of zoas that won't open, but my other zoas are fine.

I went ahead and extended peak time an hour for now.

Also, is there a way to play with your program points without the light changing? I asked Kessil for this with the beta app. Like right now my blues are at 15% and I want to play with my lighting schedule without having the lights actually change to my peak lighting time. It freaks the fish out.
+100000000

This is so annoying

Unread 10/13/2016, 12:37 PM   #369
gus6464
Registered Member

You should have a long peak for pretty much any light you buy. The ramp up should be quick like an hour or two and then keep the peak for a while with the same ramp down. A standard setup is 2 hour ramp up, 6 hour peak, 2 hour ramp down.

gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2016, 02:14 PM   #370
ktownhero
Registered Member

Has anyone put an AP700 on a Kill-A-Watt and recorded it's actual draw? I'm curious!

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2016, 04:17 PM   #371
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitawaah View Post
bif, sorry for misquoting you. I believe we had talked in an earlier post and I said that all I have are andriod products. Anyway are they(andriod) working as good as the iphone app? I kinda sucks that kessil has such a great light yet some people can't use it to it's full potential. I'm sure eventually they will get all the bugs worked out but at the price of that light it should have come ready to go.

I don't think the app really is of any issue any more and I also think you will get the full potential from the fixture.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 10/13/2016, 07:24 PM   #372
ninjamyst
Registered Member

I am running a Kessil AP700 over Red Sea Reefer 350. Just bumped my peak from 65% to 70%. I bought the Major Diffusers but didn't like how much it reduces the shimmer. I am using the Android tablet app, and I often find the AP700 is on past the time I set it to go off. For example, it should shut off at 9:30pm but on more than one occasion, it's 10:00pm and the light is still on. I have to connect to the light with the tablet and it automatically shuts off. Weird and annoying... Has anyone else ran into this?

ninjamyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2016, 07:55 PM   #373
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamyst View Post
I am running a Kessil AP700 over Red Sea Reefer 350. Just bumped my peak from 65% to 70%. I bought the Major Diffusers but didn't like how much it reduces the shimmer. I am using the Android tablet app, and I often find the AP700 is on past the time I set it to go off. For example, it should shut off at 9:30pm but on more than one occasion, it's 10:00pm and the light is still on. I have to connect to the light with the tablet and it automatically shuts off. Weird and annoying... Has anyone else ran into this?
The internal timer is known to drift and connecting to it via the app resets the time. Are you on the latest firmware?

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2016, 12:59 AM   #374
hitawaah
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't think the app really is of any issue any more and I also think you will get the full potential from the fixture.

I guess I wont be using my samsung tablet, last night I went to the app store to download the kessil app and the message in bold said that the kessil app isn't compatible with my tablet. I know I have the samsung note it must be the note 5 I've read they aren't working with the kessil app. I am going to try my phone it's a samsung too hopefully it's compatible. I also have different samsung tablet that's not the note series so I'll try that too. Otherwise I guess I'm going back to Ipad. You'd think that kessil would be compatible with the two biggest companies prpducts Maybe they'll do an update for samsung products in the next few months.

Unread 10/14/2016, 03:14 PM   #375
johnnydoe
Registered Member

just wondering how do i get them to go to 100%