Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2018, 03:58 PM   #1
shamoo
Registered Member

Cycleing tank, no nitrite or nitrate spike after 2 weeks

Hello all

i have been cycling my tank for 2 weeks now. i purchased 50kg of live rock, and was told it was only out of the DT for a few days.
Anyway i have been testing the water (RO/DI @0ppm) every other day or there abouts. i have not got any spike in nitrite or nitrate both constant at 0. Obviuosly i need "waste" in there to start the cycle so i chose not to go the phanton feeding method but instead i added "API quick start"
it states to remove ammonia and nitrite and also ADD "live, nitrifying bacteria"

Has anyone used this and why haven't i got any readings yet? would the live rock if it was only just out of a DT be working so well already?

i am going to have soft corals and fish

Salt level 1.024 (will increase this to 1.025)
Temp 78
Ammonia 0
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
PH - 7.8 (want to get to 8.2)
KH - 143.2ppm and dropped to 71.6ppm (8dkh - 4dkh) is KH alkalinity?
phosphate 0.02
Calcium -240 ( want 400)
Magnesium - 1400

any tips? should i add my firsh few fishes yet?

Unread 02/14/2018, 06:55 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

When a tank has live rock added, there's no practical way to predict what will happen with the parameters. Did the tank ever show any ammonia? If so, I'd wait for the level to be a solid zero for a week before adding much, but I am cautious.

The alkalinity and calcium levels are low enough that I wonder whether the kits are accurate. I'd get a second opinion before doing much. As far as names go, technically, dKH corresponds only to the carbonate and bicarbonate in the system, but our test kits actually measure total alkalinity, and we use the terms interchangeably. There's more here:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/2/chemistry

The other numbers are okay. pH at 7.8 is normal for a tank in a house, and I'd just ignore it.

Unread 02/15/2018, 05:40 AM   #3
shamoo
Registered Member

Thanks Jon

I've never had any signs of ammonia after 5 tests and 2 weeks of cycling. Would the fact i've had no lighting make a differance? i have ordered it and it should be here this week, but for the 2 weeks its been cycling its only had the light from the room

i have yet to perform a water change and will do so in the next week. When i go to get more salt, i'll take a sample of the water to the LFS and see what readings they get and compare with mine.

Unread 02/15/2018, 05:53 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Light won't matter..

As stated live rock can contain all the bacterial population needed to process ammonia quickly..
As such its entirely possible to have no cycle at all as the rock is already live..

Thats why local fish stores have vats of rock.. so that you can buy your screaming kit a tank/nemo fish and some rock and take it home and set it all up that day..

If you are really concerned get some ammonia without any surfactants (shake the bottle.. if it foams up try another brand) and dose the tank up to 1 or 2ppm of ammonia and see how/if it processes that..

Unread 02/15/2018, 10:29 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

I think getting a second opinion is a good idea, and I'd probably add some food to check for an ammonia spike, but I agree that the tank likely is fine to go.