Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 08/30/2012, 08:33 AM   #3626
Mxx
Registered Member

Thanks in advance for advising me on this! I bought a used 34 gallon all in one JAD (Boyu 550/Orca clone). It was modified with decent LED lighting, a Tunze 9002 skimmer, and I have a good extra powerhead in the tank, so filtration, flow, and lighting should be decent. I have about 20kg of live rock from an established system, arranged so I won't have dead spots, and the tank is fishless cycling for a while. And I plan on keeping primarily soft corals, some hard corals eventually, and seagrass.

For fish I was thinking of the following, added in this order:
2 Common/Percula Clownfish
2 Banggai Cardinals (A pair if I kind find one)
2 Royal Gramma
1 Banana Wrasse
(2 Purple Filefish Goby pair, perhaps, and I have a tight fitting canopy)

However, Aqadvisor suggests that takes me to 118% percent stocking capacity, so perhaps I'd either drop the Filefish, or drop one of the Royal Grammas and the Banana Wrasse. Nevertheless this was more fish than I had expected to be able to accommodate, which is why I thought I should check. I was considering a Cherub Pygmy Angelfish as well, in case I was willing to replace one of the others. And I'd either add these fish in two or three lots over 8 to 12 months.

For cleanup crew/algae control, I'd anticipate adding:
1 Blood Red Shrimp
5 Cerith Snails
5 Nassarius Snails
5 Nerite Snails
5 Trochus Snails
5 Tectus Snails
These are the snail numbers I had seen recommended for this size tank, though I'm not quite sure if the numbers were cumulative if I happen to have 4 different species of snails for eating algae, (and hopefully not eating my seagrasses)?

Last edited by Mxx; 08/30/2012 at 08:40 AM.
Unread 08/30/2012, 02:09 PM   #3627
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCabe0930 View Post
We are setting up a 36x36x26 tank looking to add Led's either Ecotech Radion or AI Vega or Sol. We want to have a reef tank, we will have a mud refugium and vortex protein skimmer. 135lb++ live rock from tampa bay rocks
Corals to include:
Sponge, Gorgonians, Star Polyps, Bubble Tip Anemone, Pagoda Cup, Mushrooms, Leathers, Zoanthids, Montipora, Plate Corals and maybe a welso

Inverts to include:
3 Cleaner shirmp, 2 serpent stars, 2 tiger tail cucumbers, 3 peppermint shrimp, 62 mexican turbo snails, 20 nassarius snails, 135 blue leg hermits, 1 urchin, maxima clam, porcelin crab, 1 arrow crab, refuge starting with 2000 pods to seed from reefs2go.com arrow crabs take fish, hermits kill snails

Fish to include:
Foxface, Midas Blenny, 4 Pearly Jawfish, Pair Clownfish occelaris, Pair Green Mandarin, 2 Neon Gobys, Yasha Goby, Wheelers Goby, Royal Gamma, 3 Firefish, Forktail Blenny, and Barnacle Blenny

Blennies do not like each other, neon gobies can only exist as mated pairs or singles, firefish can only exist long term as mated pairs or singles, I would wait on the mandarins until the tank is 9 months old.

Any input or suggestions are welcome.

Unread 08/30/2012, 02:14 PM   #3628
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
Thanks in advance for advising me on this! I bought a used 34 gallon all in one JAD (Boyu 550/Orca clone). It was modified with decent LED lighting, a Tunze 9002 skimmer, and I have a good extra powerhead in the tank, so filtration, flow, and lighting should be decent. I have about 20kg of live rock from an established system, arranged so I won't have dead spots, and the tank is fishless cycling for a while. And I plan on keeping primarily soft corals, some hard corals eventually, and seagrass.

For fish I was thinking of the following, added in this order:
2 Common/Percula Clownfish
2 Banggai Cardinals (A pair if I kind find one) Should be tank raised and if not a pair, only one
2 Royal Gramma in a small tank, only one
1 Banana Wrasse needs a much larger tank
(2 Purple Filefish Goby pair, perhaps, and I have a tight fitting canopy) two if only a pair

However, Aqadvisor suggests that takes me to 118% percent stocking capacity,

anyone providing such a number has no idea of what they are talking about

so perhaps I'd either drop the Filefish, or drop one of the Royal Grammas and the Banana Wrasse. Nevertheless this was more fish than I had expected to be able to accommodate, which is why I thought I should check. I was considering a Cherub Pygmy Angelfish as well, in case I was willing to replace one of the others. And I'd either add these fish in two or three lots over 8 to 12 months.

For cleanup crew/algae control, I'd anticipate adding:
1 Blood Red Shrimp
5 Cerith Snails
5 Nassarius Snails
5 Nerite Snails
5 Trochus Snails
5 Tectus Snails
These are the snail numbers I had seen recommended for this size tank, though I'm not quite sure if the numbers were cumulative if I happen to have 4 different species of snails for eating algae, (and hopefully not eating my seagrasses)?

Unread 08/30/2012, 03:25 PM   #3629
Mxx
Registered Member

I'm certainly glad I asked!

I'm not sure of the metrics which Aqadvisor uses, but with that fish load how close to my maximum stocking capacity do you think I actually am? (Not that I want to necessarily be at absolutely full stocking capacity either, of course).

There are a decent number of captive-bred Banggai Cardinals here just recently, fortunately, and otherwise I'd have skipped them. I'd actually heard it suggested that it's best to get four of them young, and as soon as two of them pair off then make sure to get the other two out quickly. At least four juvenile Bang's shouldn't have a larger bioload than 2 mature adults.

Okay, so out with one of the Royal Gramma's and the Banana Wrasse, and in with a Pygmy Cherub Angelfish, if I can find one.

The moment I got my tank the wife and kids were all insisting that I get a Yellow Tang, Blue Tang, and anemone... So that took a bit of explaining on why we couldn't possibly do that. The wife really wanted a yellow fish though, so I'm in trouble when I tell her now that she can't have a Banana Wrasse either. I'd considered a Lemonpeel Dwarf Angel, but my tank is on the small side for that, and I heard that they have a bad reputation for not being coral safe.

I'm sure I can lie to the kids and convince them that a Hammer Coral is actually an anemone, despite that they might hold that against me later in life! I would like to get a Bubble Tip Anemone, but of course should hold off for a year before doing that, which is a little unfortunate as I hear it is good to get them in early so they can find a place where they are happy instead of trampling around the tank zapping all the corals in its path subsequently.

Unread 08/30/2012, 04:10 PM   #3630
88rxna
Registered Member

90 gallon DT
30 gallon sump
currently have only a CUC, eagle eye zoas and some GSP
been up and running since june.

heres what im thinking?
1 yellow goby watchman/pistol shrimp pair
2-3 blue reef chromis
1 blue head faire wrasse
(2)pair of tank bred clowns
(the maybes)
flame angelfish (IF i can keep it from eating my corals)
green mandarin

reefkeeper lite
a pair of ocean revive S026 led fixtures
Unread 08/30/2012, 04:12 PM   #3631
Denzil
Registered Member

Thanks for your responses, Steve!

Unread 08/30/2012, 07:36 PM   #3632
Ryand63
Registered Member

29 AGA standard tank. 25lbs LR, 40 lbs LS. No sump, skimmer being bought next week or two. Currently have 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 bangaii cardinal and 1 misbar clown. Would like:

1 flame angel
1 yellow wrasse

A concern is the yellow wrasse eating the shrimp? Do you know if they are known to pick at larger shrimp or just the small feeder type?

Unread 08/30/2012, 07:40 PM   #3633
morgan175
Registered Member

110 gal
cpr aquafuge 36 x 12
2 150 halide with power compacts

4 green chromis in tank
now in order to put into tank
lawnmower blenny
fox face
powder brown tang
dwarf angel (flame angel)

sps at the end zoas and softies now

Current tank 110 gal, CPR Aquafuge, cpr102 return, panworld 150ps, 2 hydor koralia 1400gph,
Unread 08/30/2012, 08:32 PM   #3634
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88rxna View Post
90 gallon DT
30 gallon sump
currently have only a CUC, eagle eye zoas and some GSP
been up and running since june.

heres what im thinking?
1 yellow goby watchman/pistol shrimp pair
2-3 blue reef chromis
1 blue head faire wrasse
(2)pair of tank bred clowns
(the maybes)
flame angelfish (IF i can keep it from eating my corals)
green mandarin
Dwarf angels are pretty much a roll of the dice with regards to not eating coral. Otherwise, fine.

Unread 08/30/2012, 08:33 PM   #3635
SnowflakeE
Registered Member

I have a 110G with around 70+ pounds of live rock and a 40 gallon sump and I'm giving some fish away and hoping to start with a small harlequin tusk is that possible I have a friend with a 280G that could take it when it gets to large

Unread 08/30/2012, 08:34 PM   #3636
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryand63 View Post
29 AGA standard tank. 25lbs LR, 40 lbs LS. No sump, skimmer being bought next week or two. Currently have 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 bangaii cardinal and 1 misbar clown. Would like:

1 flame angel
1 yellow wrasse

A concern is the yellow wrasse eating the shrimp? Do you know if they are known to pick at larger shrimp or just the small feeder type?
Non-reef safe wrasses are a danger to shrimp and similar. Otherwise, your stocking list is fine except know that any dwarf angel is not coral safe.

Unread 08/30/2012, 08:35 PM   #3637
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowflakeE View Post
I have a 110G with around 70+ pounds of live rock and a 40 gallon sump and I'm giving some fish away and hoping to start with a small harlequin tusk is that possible I have a friend with a 280G that could take it when it gets to large
We at Reef Central do not believe in acquiring fish that must be later re-homed.

Unread 08/30/2012, 08:36 PM   #3638
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan175 View Post
110 gal
cpr aquafuge 36 x 12
2 150 halide with power compacts

4 green chromis in tank will eventually become one or two
now in order to put into tank
lawnmower blenny
fox face
powder brown tang
dwarf angel (flame angel) not coral safe

sps at the end zoas and softies now

Unread 08/30/2012, 08:58 PM   #3639
SnowflakeE
Registered Member

Could I keep the tusk in my tank?

Unread 08/31/2012, 12:06 AM   #3640
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

Okay I have a 29 gallon setup for about a year now with lots of rock and sand. In another year I would like to upgrade to a 50 or 75 gallon. Right now I have 4 fish all about an inch long:

sixline wrasse
ocellaris clown
blue/green chromis

and a newly added royal gramma

I feed the fish heavy and they all get along. I hope the sixline doesn't get territorial.

I gave up on getting a captive bred kaudern's cardinal from Liveaquaria. Two of them in a row were DOA. I think I'll stay away from those.

I would like to add soon:

fireball angel (C. aurantonotus) but I don't know what to do if he starts nipping corals. I have very few corals now since I just started stocking corals and don't know what I'd get rid of, fish or coral. Is there any rule of thumb which corals these angels will nip?

Thanks for looking at my build thread and subscribe to it if you already haven't yet!

Current Tank Info: thirty rimless
Unread 08/31/2012, 02:28 AM   #3641
priscacara
Registered Member

Hi could you advise me on this fish list for an Aquaone Aqua Reef 400L tank please.
Salarias fasciatus (in tank)
Ptereleotris zebra (in tank)
Nemateleoris decora - 4 or 6
Neocirrhites armatus - flame hawkfish
Foxface rabbitfish
Cirrhilabrus scottorum - scott's fairy wrasse
or
Paracheilinus mccoskeri - McCoskers flasher wrasse
Assessor macneilli or Assessor flavissimus
Ctenochaetus strigosus

Neopomacentrus cyanomos (yellowtail chromis?), I have 2 of these in my QT that I was given with all good intentions but after reading up a little about them I'm not sure they would be a good addition along with what is on the list.

Cheers!

Unread 08/31/2012, 06:09 AM   #3642
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherubfish pair View Post
Okay I have a 29 gallon setup for about a year now with lots of rock and sand. In another year I would like to upgrade to a 50 or 75 gallon. Right now I have 4 fish all about an inch long:

sixline wrasse
ocellaris clown
blue/green chromis

and a newly added royal gramma

I feed the fish heavy and they all get along. I hope the sixline doesn't get territorial.

I gave up on getting a captive bred kaudern's cardinal from Liveaquaria. Two of them in a row were DOA. I think I'll stay away from those.

I would like to add soon:

fireball angel (C. aurantonotus) but I don't know what to do if he starts nipping corals. I have very few corals now since I just started stocking corals and don't know what I'd get rid of, fish or coral. Is there any rule of thumb which corals these angels will nip?
dwarf angels are very likely to nip corals although C. aurantonotus is one of the least likely to do so. The sixline may not allow for additions

Unread 08/31/2012, 06:14 AM   #3643
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by priscacara View Post
Hi could you advise me on this fish list for an Aquaone Aqua Reef 400L tank please.
Salarias fasciatus (in tank)
Ptereleotris zebra (in tank)
Nemateleoris decora - 4 or 6 long term best case is that you end up with a pair
Neocirrhites armatus - flame hawkfish precludes shrimp
Foxface rabbitfish
Cirrhilabrus scottorum - scott's fairy wrasse avoid, they are very aggressive
or
Paracheilinus mccoskeri - McCoskers flasher wrasse
Assessor macneilli or Assessor flavissimus I think you would be much happier with any flasher wrasse
Ctenochaetus strigosus two grazers in this sized tank may be a bit much

Neopomacentrus cyanomos (yellowtail chromis?), I have 2 of these in my QT that I was given with all good intentions but after reading up a little about them I'm not sure they would be a good addition along with what is on the list. I would not add them

Cheers!

Unread 08/31/2012, 07:10 AM   #3644
barriosman
Registered Member

55 gallon capacity question

Here is what I currently have:
55 gallon with 70# LR, 50# Live Sand, 20# regular sand
2 HOB Refugiums with algae and chemical filtration (chempure and purigen)
HOB Skimmer
Plenty of current

Fish:
2 Percula Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 yellow tail damsel (has not been aggressive...yet)
1 blue/green chromus
2 serpent stars
various CUC

Would it be ok to add additional blue/green chromis or is my tank at capacity? My water readings are all 0 except my nitrates are between 0-5ppm.

Chris

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon reef tank (Fish and basic corals)
Unread 08/31/2012, 07:56 AM   #3645
Mxx
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm certainly glad I asked!

I'm not sure of the metrics which Aqadvisor uses, but with that fish load how close to my maximum stocking capacity do you think I actually am? (Not that I want to necessarily be at absolutely full stocking capacity either, of course).

There are a decent number of captive-bred Banggai Cardinals here just recently, fortunately, and otherwise I'd have skipped them. I'd actually heard it suggested that it's best to get four of them young, and as soon as two of them pair off then make sure to get the other two out quickly. At least four juvenile Bang's shouldn't have a larger bioload than 2 mature adults.

Okay, so out with one of the Royal Gramma's and the Banana Wrasse, and in with a Pygmy Cherub Angelfish, if I can find one.

The moment I got my tank the wife and kids were all insisting that I get a Yellow Tang, Blue Tang, and anemone... So that took a bit of explaining on why we couldn't possibly do that. The wife really wanted a yellow fish though, so I'm in trouble when I tell her now that she can't have a Banana Wrasse either. I'd considered a Lemonpeel Dwarf Angel, but my tank is on the small side for that, and I heard that they have a bad reputation for not being coral safe.

I'm sure I can lie to the kids and convince them that a Hammer Coral is actually an anemone, despite that they might hold that against me later in life! I would like to get a Bubble Tip Anemone, but of course should hold off for a year before doing that, which is a little unfortunate as I hear it is good to get them in early so they can find a place where they are happy instead of trampling around the tank zapping all the corals in its path subsequently.
I thought I should bump one part of my response there, which would would be brilliant if I could still get some clarification on.

You seemed to suggest Steve that Aqadvisor was far off when they suggested that my fish list above would put me over my maximum stocking capacity by 18%? Can you explain?

And can you please advise on perhaps what % of maximum stocking capacity you might yourself estimate I would be at for a mature tank with the fish list below in a 34 gallon Boyu all-in-one? Aqadvisor suggests 109%, but I'm not sure now whether it should be trusted whatsoever or not).

2 x Percula Clownfish
1 x Royal Gramma
2 Bangaii Cardinals
2 Purple Firefish Goby
1 African Pygmy Angelfish (Cherub)

Unread 08/31/2012, 08:55 AM   #3646
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barriosman View Post
Here is what I currently have:
55 gallon with 70# LR, 50# Live Sand, 20# regular sand
2 HOB Refugiums with algae and chemical filtration (chempure and purigen)
HOB Skimmer
Plenty of current

Fish:
2 Percula Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 yellow tail damsel (has not been aggressive...yet)
1 blue/green chromus
2 serpent stars
various CUC

Would it be ok to add additional blue/green chromis or is my tank at capacity? My water readings are all 0 except my nitrates are between 0-5ppm.
While you have not reached your biocapacity, a second chromis may or may not survive long term.

Unread 08/31/2012, 08:58 AM   #3647
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:

You seemed to suggest Steve that Aqadvisor was far off when they suggested that my fish list above would put me over my maximum stocking capacity by 18%? Can you explain?
There is no real algorithm for stocking capacity and an answer suggesting a level of precision at 118% is spurious at best to me.

Unread 08/31/2012, 09:09 AM   #3648
SnowflakeE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
We at Reef Central do not believe in acquiring fish that must be later re-homed.
Could I keep a tusk in my 110G long term

Unread 08/31/2012, 09:32 AM   #3649
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowflakeE View Post
Could I keep a tusk in my 110G long term
I would need a complete stocking list to determine that.

Unread 08/31/2012, 10:02 AM   #3650
SnowflakeE
Registered Member

It would be my first fish and I would stock according to his/her needs

Closed Thread

Tags
marine fish compatibility