Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/10/2009, 10:02 PM   #26
SHARKBAITNC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 0rbital
How do you get your Wild Orchids to look like that? I bought a frag of six of them at the last meeting that were almost translucent light pink that supposedly needed to be in the shade to color up. 2 months later of them being shaded they have darkened up but still don't look anywhere near like yours.

Who did you get them from??? The only frag I sold at the last meeting was a colony in the auction and I Guarantee it looked just like the picture.... Also I know they didnt come from me because I never would have told you they need to be in the shade....I dont think I own a Zoa, Paly that needs shade to color up, and I never would have suggested that.

I would Question who you bought them from.

Check water param as this can alter color in any corals

Check your bulbs (old bulbs shift in color and can affect coral health and color)

HTH
Nick

Current Tank Info: 240gal sps lps, 105gal soft
SHARKBAITNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2009, 11:12 PM   #27
ArizonaReefer
And Now a FloridaReefer

Quote:
Originally posted by bucs_fan
arizona reefer pm'ed on lights.
Lights are still available

ArizonaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2009, 11:48 PM   #28
0rbital
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by SHARKBAITNC
Who did you get them from??? The only frag I sold at the last meeting was a colony in the auction and I Guarantee it looked just like the picture.... Also I know they didnt come from me because I never would have told you they need to be in the shade....I dont think I own a Zoa, Paly that needs shade to color up, and I never would have suggested that.

I would Question who you bought them from.

Check water param as this can alter color in any corals

Check your bulbs (old bulbs shift in color and can affect coral health and color)

HTH
Nick
Yeah no it wasn't from you. It was the meeting before the auction. I can't search on the forum since I'm not a premium member but someone was selling them in the buy/sell/free thread for the meeting and had a picture of really bleached out ones that were basically see through pink. They had said it was because they were in too much light and one in the back was shaded and looked like yours. On a whim at the meeting I bought a frag of 5 or 6 of them for $10 from their table. When I brought them home they had no color and were see through light pink. Now that I looked at them tonight they do have the same patterns as yours they are just not colored up with the pink skirt. They are kind of solid orangish brown now with the same banded skirt and striped middle. Maybe they will color up in the end. I think I'll put them up in the light and see what effect that has now that I know yours are not shaded.

0rbital is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2009, 11:55 PM   #29
0rbital
Moved On

Ah search worked for me. It was Garage1217's in this buy/sell/free thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ht=wild+orchid

That's what mine looked like in his post. Garage do you still have any of these? If so have yours colored up like Shark Baits if so what did you do?

Unread 06/11/2009, 12:00 AM   #30
Garage1217
GET OFF MY LAWN

They came from me, And the one head I bought from you turned a translucent pink / lighter shade within a week. The single head multiplied 20x over, all the same light color. 2 heads were in the shade & they looked similar to the original I bought from you that you pictured. It gained it's banded skirt back and so forth, but the centers turned yellow, so I recommended people keep them in a darker area hoping they would gain the original color. All in all, I cannot get any of the 40+ heads that I still have that have grown from the original head to turn anything close to the original I purchased. But then again, I have no way to duplicate your tank conditions which must be the factor. I am not mad about it at all, just cannot duplicate what the original looked like for a short time.

I tried them under even medium to high light "high light almost killed them" & they still remained a translucent pinkish color.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? ~ Albert Einstein

I'm just as bent as ever. Hellishly so ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

Current Tank Info: Systems and goodies by Lee-Mar / Coralvue / Neptune Systems / Jager / Spectrapure / Cree / Meanwell + more!

Last edited by Garage1217; 06/11/2009 at 12:07 AM.
Garage1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2009, 12:18 AM   #31
0rbital
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Garage1217
They came from me, And the one head I bought from you turned a translucent pink / lighter shade within a week. The single head multiplied 20x over, all the same light color. 2 heads were in the shade & they looked similar to the original I bought from you that you pictured. It gained it's banded skirt back and so forth, but the centers turned yellow, so I recommended people keep them in a darker area hoping they would gain the original color. All in all, I cannot get any of the 40+ heads that I still have that have grown from the original head to turn anything close to the original I purchased. But then again, I have no way to duplicate your tank conditions which must be the factor. I am not mad about it at all, just cannot duplicate what the original looked like for a short time.

I tried them under even medium to high light "high light almost killed them" & they still remained a translucent pinkish color.
Hmm very odd. Mine look healthy and have stretched up out of the shade to reach more light. I wonder what conditions would cause it? I just looked at the disc and have a couple small ones that have sprouted in the couple months I've had them. But mine aren't translucent anymore they do have the banded skirt too kind of a brown/orange alternating and the center is an orangish color. Just one of those things I guess. I have had other zoa I bought morph into different colors from the originals too after a few weeks in my tank.

Unread 06/11/2009, 12:23 AM   #32
Garage1217
GET OFF MY LAWN

Wish I knew as well! Looked so cool when I got my original. All the skirts on mine are just plain except for the few that still are in the shade. Guess my tank is not right for them.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? ~ Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: Systems and goodies by Lee-Mar / Coralvue / Neptune Systems / Jager / Spectrapure / Cree / Meanwell + more!
Unread 06/11/2009, 01:15 AM   #33
Prototype
Zoa Collector

i got mine from nick,
heres a pic of them...i havnt been able to get that blue mouth though..still looks cool to me.

mine look just like azsb's massive wild orchid colony..

Current Tank Info: 75g Reef. 10g.
Prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2009, 09:01 AM   #34
Fish4us
Registered Member

Hey folks we're going to venture out of our bubble again and attend.

I will have some

small mounted cabbage leather (x2) - $10 (mounted on discs and fully healed been mounted a month)

I also have some yellow or green Mille(color depends on your light) $10 for decent sized frag... will frag larger pieces upon request.

Orange digi (love this very fast grower) I can frag whatever size you like same price as the Mille -- if you're looking for a starter colony I can accomodate 1 person on that ...

I can also frag pretty much anything in the picture below - just lmk!

I also have plenty of regular (not the brightest neon green) candy cane coral for $2/head. (Can accomodate a large frag on this one too!)

I know I'm missing some things... so I'm sure we'll bring extra odds and ends again!

Oh we'll also take trades just pm me what you have and we'll chat!

Jen and Matt

Fish4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2009, 10:24 AM   #35
0rbital
Moved On

Here's what my orchids look like. Cell phone didn't take a great picture. There is a pink tinge to the skirts now that I look again.

Unread 06/11/2009, 10:46 AM   #36
Garage1217
GET OFF MY LAWN

Sweet, they colored up a lot better than they were!

Unread 06/11/2009, 01:05 PM   #37
tricketts
Animal House

Frag Meeting

I am new to Reef Central and I was wondering can anyone come to the meetings and purchase items that are for sale from other members?

Teresa

tricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2009, 01:37 PM   #38
SHARKBAITNC
Registered Member

Re: Frag Meeting

Quote:
Originally posted by tricketts
I am new to Reef Central and I was wondering can anyone come to the meetings and purchase items that are for sale from other members?

Teresa
Yep

Nick

Unread 06/11/2009, 05:28 PM   #39
KarlBob
Registered Member

Yes, anyone can show up at a meeting and purchase stuff. FRAG is a fairly loosely organized club, and we do not charge dues/membership fees/etc.

If you decide to bid in the next PROP auction, you will need to get a Bidder Number ahead of time, but that's different than attending a FRAG meeting and buying a coral directly from a FRAG member.

Current Tank Info: No tanks for now. Starting over in Austin sometime next year.
KarlBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2009, 06:57 PM   #40
hoonie778
Registered Member

I'll be attending for the first time too!

My question is, if we see something we want, do we need to arrange the person to bring it with them ahead of time, or is it understood that most people will bring their frags for sale with them?

Or does it just depend?

hoonie778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2009, 07:17 PM   #41
SHARKBAITNC
Registered Member

Most times if you see something you want post that you want it. That way you are assured you will get the item in question. Some people dont bring anything extra so just whats reserved is what they bring.

I will have some extra stuff and a few others bring some extras. But if there is something you see you want post it or pm the person thats the best way.

HTH,
Nick

Unread 06/12/2009, 12:37 AM   #42
SHARKBAITNC
Registered Member

Ok as requested in pms here is the 10 gallon frag. It needs some work but as far as growing frags out it works GREAT !!

As seen it the pics the stand has some water damage at the bottom its just the trim and can be easly taken off and replaced

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see that it just plugs into any system through the sump it also comes with a maxi jet 1200 so it is plug and play

This is what I have used for years growing most of my zoa frags and sps frags in

Nick

Unread 06/12/2009, 12:39 AM   #43
SHARKBAITNC
Registered Member

Tomorrow I should have pics of the 90 gallon and the nano tank

Nick

Unread 06/12/2009, 09:06 AM   #44
GlaringToast
Registered Member

I will be attending tomorrow unless something comes up. I was thinking about getting into some SPS if anyone has any simple frags that are relatively easy to care for?

GlaringToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2009, 09:14 AM   #45
0rbital
Moved On

I have a kids bday party to take my son to I found out about last night. Right at meeting time so looks like I won't make it. Frick you get the palys from Karlbob now

GT I'd get the green slimer or one of the milli frags from aztbs.

Unread 06/12/2009, 10:57 AM   #46
Fish4us
Registered Member

No attendance thread this month?

It looks like a lot of people are busy this month!

Fish4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2009, 11:01 AM   #47
GlaringToast
Registered Member

I was thinking about that green slimer! Are they pretty easy to care for. I've been holding off on SPS for a long time now because I really just don't want to mess it up.

GlaringToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2009, 11:44 AM   #48
DjScibbity
BooYaah!!

Anyone know if Philwd will be there tomorrow? Thanks

-JP

Current Tank Info: Currently Tankless:Had 90 Gallon with 40 Gallon Sump/10Gallon Fuge - Aquactinics TX5 T-5 HO lighting, Coralife Calcium Reactor with ginormous CO2 bottle, Generic Sol valve/regulator, AC Jr, DX-8, Osmolator, Closed Loop Running Iwaki 30RLXT, OM Squirt
DjScibbity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2009, 11:45 AM   #49
0rbital
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by GlaringToast
I was thinking about that green slimer! Are they pretty easy to care for. I've been holding off on SPS for a long time now because I really just don't want to mess it up.
Plenty of light and flow and don't it touch other things and you're good to go. I think the slimer is one of the easier SPS. It looks great too.

Unread 06/12/2009, 03:18 PM   #50
Frick
AZ FRAG President

Karlbob, i will take those Palys if they are still available. I think your mail box is full.

If any one is inerested I have some Green porites that gets a little pink in high light. 1" frags for $5.00.

Last edited by Frick; 06/12/2009 at 03:27 PM.
Frick is offline   Reply With Quote