Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2018, 10:47 PM   #1
QusaiNav
Registered Member

Smile Need help Aquascaping with odd size bull-nose aquarium

Hi guys! I am new to reef-central so please spare me the trouble of possibly not posting in the right section.

Attached below I have my custom acrylic bull nose aquarium, from my rough measurements it seems somewhere between 95-110 gallons + the sump. I re-sanded the tank and have some little bit of buffing left with the novus polish, so nevermind the slight haziness.

I am planning to use Florida reef rock.
Any ideas for how you would aquascape this tank if you had #70-100lbs of florida reef rock from reefcleaners?

I am planning to go from softies to eventually LPS and SPS once the tank is well established.

I would really value your input because this tank is suppose to be viewed from the length sides ~60" and is quite narrow in width <18"... maybe suggestions would help considering the shape of this tank, I have not been able to to find good pictures of nice reef aquascapes for this odd tank build.

Anyhow, check out the pictures and let me know what you think. Feel free of uploading a rough sketch if its easier

Happy Aquascaping

https://photos.app.goo.gl/g4dASogboFzXxO5P2

-Qusai

QusaiNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 08:28 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

This got a bit delayed in the moderation queues, so sorry for the slow response.

Unread 01/18/2018, 10:27 PM   #3
thegrun
Registered Member

I would make three towers of stacked rock with either an acrylic rod run down the middle 9holes drilled in the rock) or cemented together with possibly a bridge/arch between two of the towers.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 10:42 PM   #4
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

I have to say it would depend on the shape of my pieces. I would probably leave a stretch of open bed at the end of the tank, but do the wall of rock with an arch or two over the sand bed starting low and heading back towards the non-view end getting higher and higher so i could mimic going deeper into the ocean, and leaving occasional holes in the wall for fish to swim through (not absolute straight line through so there's cover)

Unread 01/18/2018, 11:10 PM   #5
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

See what rock you get ane aquascape as you like it.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 08:40 AM   #6
MarkW64
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefkeeperZ View Post
I would probably leave a stretch of open bed at the end of the tank, but do the wall of rock with an arch or two over the sand bed starting low and heading back towards the non-view end getting higher and higher so i could mimic going deeper into the ocean, and leaving occasional holes in the wall for fish to swim through (not absolute straight line through so there's cover)
This is exactly what I would do, in fact it is what I have done in my 230g peninsula. By far your biggest challenge is how narrow your tank is, especially with two viewing sides. You need to leave plenty of room on both sides for swimming room, coral growth, glass cleaning and other maintenance. If I could make my tank larger in only one dimension I would choose to go wider than my 24inches. Your 18 is going to be tough. To build a tall/thin structure you will need to make good use of acrylic rods, glue, etc.

That's a pretty tank, I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

Tags
acrylic, aquascaping, bull nose, bullnose, reef