Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/04/2017, 04:46 PM   #1
foredababy
Registered Member

Dosing Magnesium in ATO

I started dosing magnesium in my ATO. Only Ro in my reservoir. Just wondering if anyone sees any potential problems with this?

Current Tank Info: 109 gal mixed reef
foredababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2017, 05:39 PM   #2
Bpb
Registered Member

I dose my bolus amounts of anything in my ATO. Not all at once. But if I need to increase something I do it through my ato so it is gradual. I run a calcium reactor. So I keep that going tuned and stable. But I use 2 part for adjustments upward. I just put 1300 mL of magnesium in my ATO this morning actually to bring it from 1220 to 1450 over the next few days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2017, 05:47 PM   #3
foredababy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
I dose my bolus amounts of anything in my ATO. Not all at once. But if I need to increase something I do it through my ato so it is gradual. I run a calcium reactor. So I keep that going tuned and stable. But I use 2 part for adjustments upward. I just put 1300 mL of magnesium in my ATO this morning actually to bring it from 1220 to 1450 over the next few days

I'm glad to hear this 👍

Unread 06/05/2017, 02:34 AM   #4
gprdypoo04
Registered Member

I am very hesitant to use it in my AT0. My preference is a doser.

gprdypoo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2017, 04:06 AM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

As long as the evaporation rate matches the supplementation need, it'll be fine. My tanks ran with a reasonably constant evaporation rate, so that approach would have been fine for me, if I'd needed it. I use limewater instead, since my tanks were going through a lot of calcium and alkalinity.

Unread 06/05/2017, 04:57 AM   #6
Bpb
Registered Member

I'll echo I am only talking about bolus dosing. Not daily maintenance. I would never dream of using an auto topoff to dose 2 part as daily upkeep

Unread 06/05/2017, 07:10 AM   #7
foredababy
Registered Member

I was strictly speaking of mag. I feel like we strive for slow change and a steady state. I was bolusing my mag but since I only have RO water in my ato I thought it would be a smooth way to deliver it. I test weekly so I am dialed in. My evaporation is steady as well. I was just curious if other people did this and if there was a potential problem with it. While we are on the subject of magnesium, can anyone explain why you would use magnesium sulfate or magnesium chloride or both?

Last edited by foredababy; 06/05/2017 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Mispelling
Unread 06/05/2017, 07:15 AM   #8
foredababy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprdypoo04 View Post
I am very hesitant to use it in my AT0. My preference is a doser.
Can you explain why?

Unread 06/05/2017, 07:30 AM   #9
Bpb
Registered Member

I think some people are misinterpreting the question as asking if you do a regular maintenance dose through an ato. Like as in do you ALWAYS have it in your ato to keep up with it constantly. Versus a single isolated adjustment upward.

Unread 06/05/2017, 07:32 AM   #10
foredababy
Registered Member

Quote:
I think some people are misinterpreting the question as asking if you do a regular maintenance dose through an ato. Like as in do you ALWAYS have it in your ato to keep up with it constantly. Versus a single isolated adjustment upward.

Either really. I've been putting small amounts in every time to keep at constant as possible.

Unread 06/05/2017, 08:19 AM   #11
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foredababy View Post
While we are on the subject of magnesium, can anyone explain why you would use magnesium sulfate or magnesium chloride or both?
There is more Cl- in natural seawater than SO4. If you used large amounts of Epsom salts (or even small amounts over a long period of time), you would have a buildup of sulfate.

Therefore, mag chloride seems to be the more widely used additive. Even better yet would be a combination of mostly MgCl and a little MgSO4.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2017, 08:48 AM   #12
Bpb
Registered Member

I've actually never had to maintain magnesium. I've had to bolus dose it up a couple hundred ppm maybe once a year. That's such a tiny amount that using a dedicated doser is an unnecessary expense for such a non issue.

Unread 06/05/2017, 09:13 AM   #13
foredababy
Registered Member

Quote:
I've actually never had to maintain magnesium. I've had to bolus dose it up a couple hundred ppm maybe once a year. That's such a tiny amount that using a dedicated doser is an unnecessary expense for such a non issue.

Thanks for your input. I was dropping into 1000- 1100's after 4 weeks of not dosing magnesium. I like to keep it 1300-1400. I guess my testing could be off. I use Red Sea test kit for Mg2+

Unread 06/05/2017, 05:20 PM   #14
outssider
Registered Member

according to Randy, If you are dosing alk and calcium (not using a calcium reactor) the ideal dosing ratio of mag sulfate to mag chloride is 3/5.

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dosing, magnesium