Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/16/2006, 04:11 PM   #1
spankey
Registered Member

Why aren't butterfly fish reef safe?

I was interested in getting a butterfly to see if it would eat my pompom xenia. I had a butterfly once but can't remember the species name that ate my elongota to the nub....

Can anyone explain why butterflys aren't reef safe?

I have a mixed reef with alot of SPS.

I have heard that copper banded flys are hit or miss. But are hard to keep alive.....

Anyone offer me any ideas.....

THanks
Spankey.

On a restocking Frenzy ;0
spankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2006, 04:14 PM   #2
fat-tony
Registered Member

pretty much reef safe implies they won't nibble on things. Butterflies are hard to find that don't like nibbling so they're listed as not reef safe usually. If you could care less about things getting picked at, then you'd be fine

Current Tank Info: 125 mixed reef. Icecap 660 3x5' T5HO Icecap 430 2x6' VHO actinic
fat-tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2006, 04:44 PM   #3
Hop
Carpe Noctem!!!

Plagiarized from liveaquaria.com...

Quote:
The Copperband Butterflyfish is a difficult fish to feed; it is a shy and deliberate feeder that may need a variety of foods offered to it in order to start feeding.
and

Quote:
The Butterflyfish diet primarily consists of coral polyps, crustaceans, and algae in the wild. In an aquarium, frozen and freeze-dried diets containing algae are good substitutes and can be supplemented with asparagus, broccoli, and some dried algae.
I think the eating of coral polyps and custaceans would be why they are not reef safe

Current Tank Info: 300-gallon in-wall system (mixed reef)
Hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2006, 04:54 PM   #4
spankey
Registered Member

Well thats that. NO WAY!

Now to kill the pompom.........

On a restocking Frenzy ;0
spankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2006, 05:34 PM   #5
saltycreefer
Registered Member

copperbands are usually ok if there are no zebrasoma tangs in the tank .they usually kick their ***. try an atlantic longnose bfly or pyramid bfly if you wany something safe.

Current Tank Info: Got out of tanks for a little while.
saltycreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2006, 07:01 PM   #6
Slickdonkey
Registered Member

I recently bought some double-saddle butterflies that are proportedly "tank-raised", meaning they were wild caught as fry and raised on flakes and pellets. While in the store they were not chewing on any of the corals and ate the flake food voraciously.

Being butterflies they of course came with ich and are in my QT. Once cured I will move them to my frag tank and see if they turn it into a buffet. If not, on to the main display.

I am skeptical, but they were so cute I couldn't resist. We'll see.

Slickdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2006, 10:42 PM   #7
Steve Atkins
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saltycreefer
copperbands are usually ok if there are no zebrasoma tangs in the tank .they usually kick their ***. .....
On the other hand, there can be no trouble at all. My two zebrasoma tangs get on fine with my copperband and even when I introduced it they were not the ones that chased it the most.

For its part, the copperband does not bother anything other than aiptasia anemones and tubeworms. I have not seen it take any interest in either SPS, LPS or clams and the clams certainly don't look like they have been bothered while I was not looking.

Many years ago I had a large copperband take a sample of a Favitesl but he only did it once and ignored it after that.

Steve

Steve Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2006, 10:50 PM   #8
Ooulophilia
Registered Member

The most common species of Heniochus (Heniochus acuminis) will not mess with any corals (it will eat feather dusters). I guess you could consider that reef safe.
One of the species of longnose butterfly is very similar, I can't remember which one.

Ooulophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2006, 07:31 AM   #9
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Originally posted by Slickdonkey
I recently bought some double-saddle butterflies that are proportedly "tank-raised", meaning they were wild caught as fry and raised on flakes and pellets. While in the store they were not chewing on any of the corals and ate the flake food voraciously.

Being butterflies they of course came with ich and are in my QT. Once cured I will move them to my frag tank and see if they turn it into a buffet. If not, on to the main display.

I am skeptical, but they were so cute I couldn't resist. We'll see.
Wow, keep us posted. I'm really interested to hear how things turn out.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2006, 08:37 AM   #10
bureau13
Registered Member

I like butterflies almost as much as angels, so it pains me that most of the coolest ones are coral-eaters. I was at an LFS the other day, and they had a fairly large number of Ornate Butterflyfish. Beautiful fish, and every one of them doomed, unless someone has found a way to raise them on prepared foods...they are obligate coralivores in the wild, and eat pretty much nothing BUT coral polyps. Needless to say, I was disappointed in that store.

I just bought a pair of heniochus diphreutes (supposedly...I can NOT tell them from the less reef-safe variety by looking) so if you like that look...quite different from "standard" butterflies...you could go that route.

I've had a few copperbands, and my zebrasoma tangs didn't pay them any attention whatsoever. However, they've all been cursed in some way or the other. My last one was the best yet, he ate mysis like it was going out of style...but he perished in the Great Velvet Outbreak earlier this year. I don't know if I will be getting another one or not.

jds

bureau13 is offline   Reply With Quote