Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/13/2017, 11:03 PM   #1
mike810
Registered Member

Program RD3 230w to Apex

I have the 0-10v cable and am currently running the RD3 at 110w. Any higher and my drains become noisy. I'm looking to program the Apex to run the RD3 230w at maybe 80-90w upon start up until my full siphon drain kicks in. I have a synergy 20" overflow box and the external box is kind of small if you ask me.

Upon startup, the box gets full of water and is on the verge of overflowing. The emergency drain comes into play and keeps it from overflowing but it's a bit sketchy for me so I'd like the pump to run at a slower speed upon start up before ramping up to normal operating speed. How can I achieve this in Apex?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2017, 11:46 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike810 View Post
I have the 0-10v cable and am currently running the RD3 at 110w. Any higher and my drains become noisy. I'm looking to program the Apex to run the RD3 230w at maybe 80-90w upon start up until my full siphon drain kicks in. I have a synergy 20" overflow box and the external box is kind of small if you ask me.

Upon startup, the box gets full of water and is on the verge of overflowing. The emergency drain comes into play and keeps it from overflowing but it's a bit sketchy for me so I'd like the pump to run at a slower speed upon start up before ramping up to normal operating speed. How can I achieve this in Apex?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Hmmm. That is a good question. You might need create a profile that would run the pump at the 90w target after the power comes back on for a set amount of time and then have it switch to the profile that runs at around 110w. I'm just not sure how you would use that 90w profile after power comes back on and then switch to the 110w profile after a set amount of time. Plus, I am guessing you would want this scheme to kick in not only when you shut the pump off via the controller but also in the event of a power failure.

On the other hand, it might just be as simple as creating a slow ramp profile that brings the pump up to full speed after several minutes. You could try to create a profile that has a min intensity of 0 and a max intensity of whatever will result in 110w which would probably be around 40%. Then set a ramp time of however long you want it to take. Assuming you call this profile RD3_PWRUP you would add the following line to the Apex 0-10v outlet that the RD3 is connected to:
Set RD3_PWRUP

The profile would look something like this. I used 0% as the minimum in this example but you would likely want something more like 10 or 20% for the minimum. This should make the pump ramp from 0%-40% over the course of 10 minutes anytime the power comes back on to it when the pump is in "Auto" mode. Key word being "should"....

If that doesn't work, best bet would be to ask in the official neptune forum at forum in the link below.
https://forum.neptunesystems.com/for...rollable-Pumps

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2017, 12:51 AM   #3
mike810
Registered Member

Thanks Scott, I'll try the ramping profile.

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote