Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2007, 11:23 AM   #1
b0bby1
Registered Member

LOW PH and ALKALINITY!!!!

ok, so i went to the LFS to get my weekly water check up. everything has been fine up to now. the owner tells me that my pH is running low, i think he said 5.0. he said its supposed to be 5.3. well he told me to get some pH buffer but i didn't have enough money. he also said my alkalinity is a little low, but nothing to worry about. i told him that i have alkalinity buffer, and he said that would raise both the pH and alkalinity!!! my question is, is that true?

b0bby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2007, 11:27 AM   #2
b0bby1
Registered Member

not sure on the pH values but all i no is that it was off by .3. also i heard that baking soda rises pH, is that true?

Unread 06/21/2007, 05:42 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

Buffers for reef tanks generally don't help much with pH problems. I assume the pH was 8.0? If so, that's okay. A measurement in the morning, before the lights go on, would be useful, since that's usually the lowest pH the tank reaches.

Baking soda will lower pH a tiny bit when dosed, if alkalinity is near the normal range. The pH will rise back up as CO2 outgasses. If the baking soda is baked, then dosed, it'll raise pH temporarily. Commercial pH buffers act much like a mix of baked and unbaked baking soda.

Generally, low pH problems in established tanks come down to measurement errors (sadly common) and high CO2 problems:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

Unread 06/21/2007, 07:22 PM   #4
b0bby1
Registered Member

thanks a bunch, that link you have there is very helpful!!

Unread 06/21/2007, 07:41 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

You're welcome!

I should have safe that commercial buffers made for reef tanks act much like a mix. SeaChem Marine Buffer (for fish-only tanks) is a bit different.

Good luck!