Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/03/2011, 09:02 PM   #1
djrenimi
Registered Member

Question someone school me about skimmers

Hi all can I get some feedback on protein skimmers and the necessity of having one.

46 gall bowfront soft corals, but upgrading to a 406 watt set up with intentions to go big, including the tougher to keep.

djrenimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2011, 09:52 PM   #2
zeeter
Registered Member

Skimmers remove particles from the water that would otherwise break down into nitrites and then nitrates. If by going big means corals then you almost certainly need one. Otherwise you'll be doing water changes every other day. Well that's exaggerating, but you'll have to do water changes more often. The skimmer pays for itself eventually.

zeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2011, 10:10 PM   #3
djrenimi
Registered Member

Thx zeeter

Unread 06/03/2011, 10:26 PM   #4
jinks
Registered Member

Filters that use filter pads will grab solids out of the water. Anything that is liquid wast, or small solid wast will pass right through it. A protein skimmer put a larger amount of air bubbles into a water column. The surfaces tension of these bubbles makes this dissolved waste stick to the surface (a.k.a foam fractionation) and rise to the top on the bubble. The scum covered bubbles collect at the top till they spill over into a cup. This is not the only way to get dissolved wast out of a aquarium but its easy, affective, and aside from the initial purchase, cheap (no replacing pads and media every few days/weeks). It's an aquarium filter that runs on air and water. Seems good. If you put a filter pad over your toilet and then used it would you want to drink it?

jinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2011, 10:44 PM   #5
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

to me skimmer is the heart of ur system. it pulls alot of stuff out of the system that otherwise will settle in and break down to nitrates. another advantage is it mixes alot of air and oxygen in ur system.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2011, 11:10 PM   #6
djrenimi
Registered Member

Thx everyone good info!

Unread 06/04/2011, 06:13 AM   #7
MarcoPolo
Registered Member

If you plan to buy skimmer (which you should for a marine tank) then buy a good quality skimmer. It may cost more but in the long run it will pay off. It's like buying an expensive car...big cost upfront but it will last you for years and years delivering quality results.

Remember, having a a good skimmer is good, but to use it efficiently it needs cleaning often. I clean my one almost every day (only takes 2 minutes) and it's incredible how much dirt it extracts from the water column

MarcoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2011, 07:41 AM   #8
dlp211
Registered Member

I have a related question. When first starting a tank I know you don't run the skimmer during the cycle, but should I run it once I put a CUC in or wait until I start putting in fish to run the skimmer?

dlp211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2011, 07:49 AM   #9
MarcoPolo
Registered Member

It is not only fish which generate organic waste in a tank, other factors contribute to the generation of waste, including algae dyeing off, etc. Thus skimmer should be on all times. It will also help for aeration which will have positive impact on tank.

MarcoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2011, 09:31 AM   #10
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

When first starting a tank I know you don't run the skimmer during the cycle

I would. I can't see any valid reasons to not have it running right away.

This has more on skimming:

What is Skimming?
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-08/rhf/index.php

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2011, 10:45 AM   #11
dlp211
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley View Post
When first starting a tank I know you don't run the skimmer during the cycle

I would. I can't see any valid reasons to not have it running right away.

This has more on skimming:

What is Skimming?
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-08/rhf/index.php
OK, good to know. I could have sworn that I read that there is no reason to run the skimmer during the initial cycle, but with that information, I def will be running it.

Thanks for that Randy
DLP

dlp211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2011, 11:28 AM   #12
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

If you are cycling an sponge filter with ammonia, then it may not matter. But if there is any live rock or fish food or dead shrimp/etc. involved, there will be organic matter and bacteria to skim out.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote