Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/07/2012, 12:18 AM   #1
privitor
TC.ARK

I want to learn to dive but where do i start?

I live on the east coast of florida and it has always been a dream of mine to dive the oceans. I snorkel once in a while but the sand flats are just not that exciting.

So what should be my first step in taking the plung in real diving? Whats do i need to get started. I found a local class but what equipment and pre training do i need before i register?

privitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2012, 02:26 PM   #2
snorvich
Team RC member

I recommend taking a course where you live for pool skills, test, lessons, then doing a "referral" to a destination for the open water part of the course. Of course, in Florida, there are warm waters for the open water part too. Many community colleges run courses as well.

Unread 03/08/2012, 07:17 PM   #3
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by privitor View Post
....pre training do i need before i register?
Gotta be able to swim 4 laps in a pool. im lucky, our pool is saltwater here, pumped in from the ocean. makes it a lot easier to swim in saltwater.

aside from that, nothing really. we have housewives (60+) come out all the time.

good luck!!

c

r-balljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2012, 12:35 AM   #4
Speckled Grouper
Sticks Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by privitor View Post
I live on the east coast of florida and it has always been a dream of mine to dive the oceans. I snorkel once in a while but the sand flats are just not that exciting.

So what should be my first step in taking the plung in real diving? Whats do i need to get started. I found a local class but what equipment and pre training do i need before i register?
You are very fortunate to live near one of the best dive destinations in the continental United States (just like me )....what are you waiting for?

Take a Saturday afternoon, or whenever you have a few hours and visit your local dive shops. Find the one you are comfortable with and that offers the best deal. They should provide all the equipment you need for your BOW certification. PADI, NAUI, SSI, they are all decent and will teach you what you need to know to explore the underwater wonders of South Florida. After you have completed the course, you can take your time to decide whether this sport is for you and whether you want to invest in your own equipment. You can rent your gear for a while, look around on craigslist for used equipment or splurge and buy a new set.

Whichever route you take, I warn you.....it's addicting! Just like when you set up your first aquarium.....you will want more...bigger...more...bigger...more.....bigger...you get the picture?

Current Tank Info: 265g
Speckled Grouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2012, 01:33 PM   #5
billsreef
10 & Over Club

The only equipment you'll need to buy right off the bat are what's known as your personal equipment. Mask, snorkel, fins and booties. Usually the dive shop you take the course from will give you a discount on that stuff, as well as help you out on making sure it all fits properly.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2012, 11:58 AM   #6
privitor
TC.ARK

so what about something like a wet suit? is that something i should get on my own cause like bill said in another post that people pee in the rented one lol gross?

Just for kicks, I dont know whats worse.. Putting on someones pee'ed in suit or useing a slobbery reg out of their mouth lol Gotta love rented equipment right?

Last edited by privitor; 03/23/2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: for sh*its and giggles
privitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2012, 01:02 PM   #7
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Aside from the "p" factor, the one trick to a wetsuit is knowing how much of one you need. I'm quite comfy in a 3ml with water temps in the low to mid 70's, however, some folk I know prefer a 5ml. The trick is knowing which side of that you are on so that you don't go spending money on stuff your not going to need.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote