Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/01/2012, 08:21 PM   #1
antbreon
Registered Member

rust color filter sock in just a few hours tank hazy

tank has been up for awhile it was a transfer from a smaller tank.

i had 2 little giant #4 on it one running a old school venturi skimmer and then 1 for the main tank circulation.. the main circulation pump went was having trouble starting..i had a #2 sitting there as well..and the other night it wouldnt start..so i swapped the skimmer pump with the main tank pump and got a new cone skimmer with its own pump ..the next morning..in the process of messing around in the sump i wiped everything down had a little cyno going on in the slow sump areas.but none in the main tank..took a #2 and it now goes through the chiller ..then the media reactors..the #4 only goes through the scwd ..to the main tank picked up a little flow..taking the chiller off the main pump.

the new skimmer is in it was only skimmer less for 12 hours or so ..but since the tank is hazy ..i was concerned..i took a water sample in everything checked out ok ph 8.2 nit phos 0 or close to alk was 12 dkh..cal 410 ..

the strange thing is i usually dont run a filter sock ...only intermittently..i rely on the cleaning crew and the skimmer... but because i stirred everything up..in the sump...i put one in ...and it is rust color in 12 hours..th skimmer collection cup is also rusty color..same color as the dirt from the gfo but i have had that media in for a couple months...i did increase the flow through the reactors..the screens inthe media reactors ae also rust color..i have washed the media sock in bleach in the washing machine 3 times over the past weekend..comes out clean let it dry out rinse it well and re insert it..within 12 hours there is no hint of white..

everyting looks basically ok in the tank..the haziness is it just cyno..floating around because i disturbed it..

just not sure what to think even when i first set it up it was crystal clear in 24 hours..

antbreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2012, 08:50 PM   #2
antbreon
Registered Member

i guess i could give a little more info on the tank..it is a 90 gal mixed reef..36 x 24 x 24 lots of live rock and bunches of frags lps sps and softies..35 gal sump.with refugiem..and rock rubble..

a euroreef usa 200 needle wheel cone skimmer..i know it need to break in ..not getting much in the cup just yet but the neck is nasty..

right now..2 t 5 Hamilton actinic ..a 250 watt Hamilton 14k hailide new in december first part of jan i have 15 3 watt cree royal blue leds and 10 3 watt uv leds ..rapid stuff..on the way to removing the hot halide waiting on heat sinks to come back in..
thursday night pump wouldnt restart.

friday morning new skimmer was in..installed buy friday 5 pm..

sat am washed filter sock..skimmer starting to get into the groove..
sat pm washed filter sock..

sunday pm washing filter sock..

everything seems to be opening..even the sps acans zoos frog spawn ..
filter sock back in the washer..

Unread 04/02/2012, 04:58 AM   #3
antbreon
Registered Member

no one has any ideas..

i turned off the lights in the sump going to leave them off for a few days..in the sump so if it is cyno in the sump it shouldnt grow..let the skipper pull stuff

Last edited by antbreon; 04/02/2012 at 05:29 AM.
Unread 04/02/2012, 05:49 AM   #4
antbreon
Registered Member

ok since i am self employed..i took the time this morning to clean the screens in the reactors two little fishes..appears the increased flow in the reactors ..was pushing the gfo through the screens..i found gfo in the carbon chamber..

don't they make different screens ..for smaller media?

the second reactor was supposed to be for nit absorption media..but it was so fine and light i wanted to float and i knew it would push through..

Unread 04/02/2012, 07:39 AM   #5
dndmicks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbreon View Post
tank has been up for awhile it was a transfer from a smaller tank.

i had 2 little giant #4 on it one running a old school venturi skimmer and then 1 for the main tank circulation.. the main circulation pump went was having trouble starting..i had a #2 sitting there as well..and the other night it wouldnt start..so i swapped the skimmer pump with the main tank pump and got a new cone skimmer with its own pump ..the next morning..in the process of messing around in the sump i wiped everything down had a little cyno going on in the slow sump areas.but none in the main tank..took a #2 and it now goes through the chiller ..then the media reactors..the #4 only goes through the scwd ..to the main tank picked up a little flow..taking the chiller off the main pump.

the new skimmer is in it was only skimmer less for 12 hours or so ..but since the tank is hazy ..i was concerned..i took a water sample in everything checked out ok ph 8.2 nit phos 0 or close to alk was 12 dkh..cal 410 ..

the strange thing is i usually dont run a filter sock ...only intermittently..i rely on the cleaning crew and the skimmer... but because i stirred everything up..in the sump...i put one in ...and it is rust color in 12 hours..th skimmer collection cup is also rusty color..same color as the dirt from the gfo but i have had that media in for a couple months...i did increase the flow through the reactors..the screens inthe media reactors ae also rust color..i have washed the media sock in bleach in the washing machine 3 times over the past weekend..comes out clean let it dry out rinse it well and re insert it..within 12 hours there is no hint of white..

everyting looks basically ok in the tank..the haziness is it just cyno..floating around because i disturbed it..

just not sure what to think even when i first set it up it was crystal clear in 24 hours..
I noticed that same rust color in my socks too. I have had the GFO running for a couple of weeks too IDK i was puzzled over the weekend at this. I will swap out the socks tonight and see if i get the same thing.

dndmicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2012, 10:34 AM   #6
antbreon
Registered Member

i just came home for lunch ..and the lights arnt on just yet..but it already looks better...

Unread 04/02/2012, 11:12 AM   #7
dndmicks
Registered Member

Everything is open in my tank as well. I have been battling Cyano for a few weeks and have been running GFO and Bio pellets and just changed biopellets a week ago so Im hopping that caused a bloom and nothing else.

dndmicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2012, 01:16 PM   #8
antbreon
Registered Member

tank is clear as a bell ...so it was the gfo..dust..i rinsed the crap out of it..and it has been in the tank..2 months..ish ..the little power head i was running the reactors with barely moved it..i guess it clumped and putting the bigger pump in broke it all up...i think they make finer screens...fr the two little fishes reactors to keep the smaller media in...if not i am going to make something..and rinse the crap out of my new gfo..