Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/28/2017, 03:01 PM   #1
mlb75
Premium Member

Speedy vs HP

What's the difference between the speedy 150's and the High Pressure 150's? I'm looking for a new return pump for my 300 and the RD's are in the running I'm just trying to figure out what the options are and their pro's con's.

I think the 150's are more than I need but the 50's are nowhere near enough. I've been running a Blueline 70 for years but it died so looking at options.

TIA

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless planning ~90G nano
mlb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2017, 04:17 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

The Pressure version is designed to provide support for greater head pressure than the flow version. Unless your head pressure is greater than 14’, the standard RD3 (Flow) version would be what you would want. The Pressure version only makes sense for people that have head pressure greater than 14’. Under 14’ of head, the flow version is more efficient in terms of GPH per watt. The nice thing is that the RD3’s have a very wide range of flow settings. You can adjust them in 2w increments so you only use the amount of flow and power that you need. I run RD3 230’s on my system and my return pump runs at 150 watts while my closed loop varies during the day and night as that one is controlled via my Apex. I never run either at full power though.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2017, 09:47 AM   #3
mlb75
Premium Member

Thanks, are they different motor blocks or is the difference in the impeller or intake / output configuration?

It really seems that the 80 would have been about right and was cheaper so would I be better off waiting for the 100 to be released? Or is the 150 a better enough pump that it's worth paying a bit more to have what I imagine is a heavier duty motor block and impeller? Or will the new 100 be the same block as the 150 with a smaller impeller and driver?

Unread 11/29/2017, 10:25 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb75 View Post
Thanks, are they different motor blocks or is the difference in the impeller or intake / output configuration?

It really seems that the 80 would have been about right and was cheaper so would I be better off waiting for the 100 to be released? Or is the 150 a better enough pump that it's worth paying a bit more to have what I imagine is a heavier duty motor block and impeller? Or will the new 100 be the same block as the 150 with a smaller impeller and driver?
The motor blocks and controllers are the same. The 230 pressure pump has a different volute and impeller than the flow version and the 150 just has a different impeller.

I don't think the RD3 80 would have been enough flow for a 300 gallon after head and friction losses. Personally, I would run at least a 150 on a 300 gallon display and have peace of mind knowing I could also feed a manifold for reactors. I think you will be running at least 100 watts when all is said and done. As for the release date of the 100.. No telling yet. It's going to be at least a few more months and in all honesty, I'd still lean towards the 150 or even 230 if this were my tank. You are much better off having more flow than you need and being able to run the pump at a lower speed than not having enough flow or barely having enough and being forced to run the pump all full speed.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 11/29/2017, 11:30 AM   #5
mlb75
Premium Member

Thanks for the input, I'll probably get one on order this week.

Do the fittings that come with it plumb to standard PVC or do I need adapters?

Unread 11/29/2017, 11:38 AM   #6
mlb75
Premium Member

Also how quiet is the 150? I found the video where BRS reviewed the 80 and it was dead silent, is the 150 the same?

Unread 11/29/2017, 11:46 AM   #7
Breadman03
New Old School

I’m sure it’s effectively silent. I know my 230 is running only because there is a river running through my bubble trap.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2017, 11:51 AM   #8
mlb75
Premium Member

Thanks Breadman, any input on if I need adapters or can I use standard sch 40 PVC in 1.5" and 1.25"?

Unread 11/29/2017, 12:13 PM   #9
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks Breadman, any input on if I need adapters or can I use standard sch 40 PVC in 1.5" and 1.25"?
The 150 uses a standard 1.5 inch input and standard 1.25 inch output. It is pretty much dead silent. When I first set up my RD3 230 which is effectively the same pump as the 150 with a different controller, different volute & impeller, I thought it was dead. I felt no vibration and heard no noise which left me in a panic until I saw the sand blasting out from underneath my rocks. True story. They are one of the quietest pumps I have ever seen or heard. You will not find a quieter pump with that kind of flow.

Unread 11/29/2017, 12:16 PM   #10
mlb75
Premium Member

Man they're expensive but I'm sold, thanks for the help.

Unread 11/29/2017, 02:37 PM   #11
mlb75
Premium Member

What size plumbing would you recommend to make it as efficient as possible? I was thinking 2" bulkhead from the sump (it'll be external) and then 1.5 or 2" up and across the tank to the bulkheads for the tanks factory returns. Does that sound right or is it overkill?

Unread 11/29/2017, 03:58 PM   #12
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
What size plumbing would you recommend to make it as efficient as possible? I was thinking 2" bulkhead from the sump (it'll be external) and then 1.5 or 2" up and across the tank to the bulkheads for the tanks factory returns. Does that sound right or is it overkill?
Bigger is always better. The larger you go between the pump and the display, the less friction loss you will have and the more efficient the pump will run. I usually go up one size on return plumbing. Especially for the valves and stuff since that adds to friction losses. For my RD3 230, I ran 2” pipe, fittings and valves between the pump and display even though the pump has a 1.5” output. For the intake, as long as it matches the pumps intake size, you are fine.

If it were me, I’d probably run 2” up to the display even with an RD3 150 and then reduce it down depending on what your return connections will be in the display. In my case, I have a pair of 1” Seaswirls which are connected into the 2” pipe. Or if you are planning on using the RD3 150 go 1.5” between the pump and display but as I said, bigger is always better in terms of reducing friction loss so if you are planning the plumbing now and don’t have an issue running 2”, then that would be what I would go with for either pump.