Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/14/2018, 04:51 AM   #9701
Djbeasley05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz_XB9R View Post
Thanks mcgyvr.

Anyone got a page number for the parts list? I ran a search and only came up with people talking about the parts list lol?

Also at 314 us gallons should I be going bigger than 1"?

What I used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Djbeasley05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 05:11 AM   #9702
Gaz_XB9R
Registered Member

Max syphon flow for 32mm and 40mm plumbing and a fall of 1.2m?

Or a pointer to a calculator?

Gaz_XB9R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 05:57 AM   #9703
Gaz_XB9R
Registered Member

Also. Any difference between the black grey and white piping available? Any of them not suitable for aquarium use?

Unread 06/14/2018, 06:12 AM   #9704
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSupreme View Post
Can anyone direct me to a chart/ calculator for siphon rates of pipe/ bulkhead sizes?
https://flexpvc.com/Reference/WaterF...PipeSize.shtml

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 06:43 AM   #9705
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Also. Any difference between the black grey and white piping available? Any of them not suitable for aquarium use?
As long as they are all the same material (PVC) they should be fine. Issues arise when you try to cement PVC to ABS.

Unread 06/14/2018, 06:46 AM   #9706
Xenaph
Registered Member

Does my inside everything looks good ?
On which one i need to put my valve ?
Thanks

Xenaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 07:19 AM   #9707
Djbeasley05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenaph View Post
Does my inside everything looks good ?
On which one i need to put my valve ?
Thanks

Valve will be on your lowest elbow as it will be the full siphon

Unread 06/14/2018, 12:48 PM   #9708
Hal
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks mcgyvr.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...41946&page=389
Also at 314 us gallons should I be going bigger than 1"?
Run the siphon calculator and try to match your drain to the flow rate of your return pump (at whatever head you have).

I have a 250g tank and ran 1" for my siphon, durso, and return. I upsized my non-durso emergency drain to 1.5 inches just because I could. I figure it will give me a little extra margin in gph in draining if I ever need it.

My return pump will put about 1800 gph back into my tank and a 1" siphon at 11 feet of drop (into my basement) gives me something like 2200 gph. I'll adjust the siphon with a gate valve in the basement to get it to match the return rate from my pump.

Current Tank Info: 250g starphire: 72x28x30, BeanAnimal drain with an oversized non-durso emergency drain, 4 inch DSB, 3x Reefbreeders Value LED fixtures, SWC/MSX 300A skimmer, Geo kalk reactor, 3 Vortechs w/bb, carbon reactor, and a RKL
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 12:55 PM   #9709
Hal
Registered Member

One more thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet: make sure that you have your drains a sufficient distance below the top of your tank to allow for the necessary flow rate. This is mostly a concern for the non-durso emergency drain.

For example, if the non-durso emergency drain is rated for 500 gph (based on diameter of the pipe), usually that assumes that it is being "fed" water at the full rate that it can handle. That will usually require an inch or two or more of water above the top of the drain pipe. If the top of your tank is only 1/2 inch above the top of your non-durso emergency, then it will likely never have the full 500 gph (in this example).

So in this example, if your return pump is putting 500 gph back into your tank, and your siphon and durso drains are completely blocked (hopefully a rare or never occurrence), the non-durso emergency drain could NOT keep up with your return pump, and the water will overflow the tank, onto the floor of your room.

I've scoured the internet but was not able to find a chart that showed how much water you need above a non-siphon, gravity drain in order to get the full flowrate.

Current Tank Info: 250g starphire: 72x28x30, BeanAnimal drain with an oversized non-durso emergency drain, 4 inch DSB, 3x Reefbreeders Value LED fixtures, SWC/MSX 300A skimmer, Geo kalk reactor, 3 Vortechs w/bb, carbon reactor, and a RKL
Unread 06/14/2018, 01:01 PM   #9710
Hal
Registered Member

Finally, (and sorry for the fragmented and long posts), I've found it extraordinarily helpful to have my return pump wired to a float switch in my DT. I have the float switch inside my overflow. If the float switch trips (from high water because my BeanAnimal drain system failed), it shuts off electricity to my return pump. It's just another backup safety device to ensure no floods.

If you do this, just make sure that your float switch can handle the current going to your return pump. If not, the wiring gets a little more compicated with relays.

Unread 06/14/2018, 03:49 PM   #9711
Gaz_XB9R
Registered Member

Thanks folks. Much appreciated.
Still a lot of research before I pull the trigger on the new tank though I think.

Unread 06/14/2018, 05:26 PM   #9712
Lsufan
Registered Member

Personally, I would use 1.5” plumbing on anything over 150 gallons. It isn’t as much about the syphon being able to handle the flow. With the right circumstances a 1” syphon can handle around 2000 gph which is more then most people’s setups. It’s more about the open channel being able to handle flunctuation & to be able to handle more flow & remain quiet. A 1.5” open channel makes a big difference over 1”.

So that isn’t your tank u posted the picture of?

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 06:21 PM   #9713
DougSupreme
Registered Member

What is more important to the flow of a siphon? The weight of the water below the bulkhead? Or the weight of the water above the bulkhead?

My overflow is only about 6" deep, but I will have about a 3' fall. How do I determine my flow rate of the siphon?

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef
DougSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 09:36 PM   #9714
Lsufan
Registered Member

What is your reasoning for wanting to know the flow of your syphon? I can’t help on your question but u can run a test to see what flow u have. In my case I have a 40 gallon sump that under normal operation runs with 25 gallons of water. So if I’m curious to know how many gph I am getting when I do a water change I fill my sump up to the rim which I know is a additional 15 gallons. Then I turn on the return pump & time how long it takes to get back to the normal water level & do the math to figure out the gph. In my case it takes right at 60 seconds to pump the extra 15 gallons of water from my sump. So doing the math it’s right around 900gph. I find it easier to figure how the gpm, then just multiply it by 60 to get the gph.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2018, 06:38 AM   #9715
DougSupreme
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
What is your reasoning for wanting to know the flow of your syphon? I can’t help on your question but u can run a test to see what flow u have. In my case I have a 40 gallon sump that under normal operation runs with 25 gallons of water. So if I’m curious to know how many gph I am getting when I do a water change I fill my sump up to the rim which I know is a additional 15 gallons. Then I turn on the return pump & time how long it takes to get back to the normal water level & do the math to figure out the gph. In my case it takes right at 60 seconds to pump the extra 15 gallons of water from my sump. So doing the math it’s right around 900gph. I find it easier to figure how the gpm, then just multiply it by 60 to get the gph.
I want to have a good approximation of the flow through my drain prior to completion of the tank build. I'm going to use an inch and a half bulkhead for my 3 pipes but I want to make sure that I will have enough flow for my return pump

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Unread 06/15/2018, 06:43 AM   #9716
Djbeasley05
Registered Member

Quote:
I want to have a good approximation of the flow through my drain prior to completion of the tank build. I'm going to use an inch and a half bulkhead for my 3 pipes but I want to make sure that I will have enough flow for my return pump

You can always dial back your return pump with an in-line valve. The more important questions are:

1:your tank size
2:how many times do you want to turn over
3:size/type or overflow box.

Unread 06/15/2018, 06:46 AM   #9717
DougSupreme
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djbeasley05 View Post
You can always dial back your return pump with an in-line valve. The more important questions are:

1:your tank size. 225 Gallons
2:how many times do you want to turn over 2500gph thru sump
3:size/type or overflow box. 48"x6"x6"

The reason I want to know is so I can make sure my overflow is deep enough to create enough pressure for the siphon to flow enough. If it's not deep enough, I want to correct it now.

Unread 06/15/2018, 07:01 AM   #9718
DougSupreme
Registered Member

The question of the hour is, what influences a siphon more? The water above the inlet or below the inlet?

Unread 06/15/2018, 07:08 AM   #9719
Djbeasley05
Registered Member

Quote:
The question of the hour is, what influences a siphon more? The water above the inlet or below the inlet?

Neither in your case. If you’re building a coast to coast overflow, the pressure on any pipe in the overflow will be so small because of little water volume. Once the water level in the box reaches the emergency overflow per beans design the full siphon will start. You then just need to tune it per beans instructions. You might be thinking too much into it. I have a 4” tall coast to coast which fits two downturned 90s and an upturned 90 as emergency.

Unread 06/16/2018, 08:49 PM   #9720
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

From my experience, what determines when the full siphon begins is how deep you full siphon terminates under water in the sump. For instance if you're 4 inches below surface water will flow either through the emergency or the open channel and never obtain full siphon. However if it's 1" below surface it will be a lot more forgiving and siphon every time.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 08:50 PM   #9721
Djbeasley05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
From my experience, what determines when the full siphon begins is how deep you full siphon terminates under water in the sump. For instance if you're 4 inches below surface water will flow either through the emergency or the open channel and never obtain full siphon. However if it's 1" below surface it will be a lot more forgiving and siphon every time.

Very true statement!

Unread 06/17/2018, 06:49 AM   #9722
IUfan
Registered Member

Just started my tank last night. Using a modular marine overflow box. Full siphon drain is fully operational (Emperor voice) but it sounds like water is rushing through my open channel.

The water is about 3/4 of the height of the pass through bulkheads (tank to overflow box) and the water level is about 1/2 way up the open channel U.

Is it as simple as I have the water level too high?

Just in case a pic of my plumbing could help.

IUfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 07:14 AM   #9723
Gaz_XB9R
Registered Member

If I go with a C2C and BA overflow, where are the return(s) normally routed back into tank?

I'm not fancying pipes coming over the top. Mind you given i'm having a trim on top as opposed to rimless, maybe I can route through trim.

Also I'm thinking gyre in the middle rear, so would split return either rear corner be suitable?

Think I should move to a separate Noobie Tank setup thread, as I'm starting to stray from the subject in hand and have so many questions still.

Unread 06/17/2018, 07:16 AM   #9724
Djbeasley05
Registered Member

Quote:
If I go with a C2C and BA overflow, where are the return(s) normally routed back into tank?

I'm not fancying pipes coming over the top. Mind you given i'm having a trim on top as opposed to rimless, maybe I can route through trim.

Also I'm thinking gyre in the middle rear, so would split return either rear corner be suitable?

Think I should move to a separate Noobie Tank setup thread, as I'm starting to stray from the subject in hand and have so many questions still.

I drilled a bulkhead into the front weir of the c2c with a short pipe going from the bulkhead in the back glass to the bulkhead in the weir.

Unread 06/17/2018, 09:16 AM   #9725
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUfan View Post
Just started my tank last night. Using a modular marine overflow box. Full siphon drain is fully operational (Emperor voice) but it sounds like water is rushing through my open channel.
The open channel (the one with the air hole) should only have a trickle going thru it. Too much and you get noise. The water does not stick to the sides of the pipe. It will mix with air going down the pipe and make noise. Try opening the siphon valve some to see if that helps

The water is about 3/4 of the height of the pass through bulkheads (tank to overflow box) and the water level is about 1/2 way up the open channel U.
Is it as simple as I have the water level too high?
Opening the valve a bit more should fix this.

Tags
beananimal, plumbing