Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2021, 04:28 PM   #1
Zionas
Registered Member

Hawaiian ban has gone through.

Until we get enough CB specimens..... No more Yellows, Convicts, Koles, Lavenders, Achilles, and a couple others for now.

Zionas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2021, 04:44 PM   #2
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Can you post the source? I know people have been talking about it for years now.

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2021, 05:03 PM   #3
Zionas
Registered Member

https://bigislandnow.com/2021/01/13/...ing-in-hawaii/

Unread 01/14/2021, 05:24 PM   #4
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Crazy. The aquarium industry better complete the “Chapter 343 environmental review process”.

Unread 01/14/2021, 05:41 PM   #5
Zionas
Registered Member

Yeah screw that!

Unread 01/14/2021, 05:47 PM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

The freshwater hobby went through some similar constriction, but captive-bred has now all but replaced wild-caught, and in the cases where wild-caught still are a thing, they come in with problems, parasites, etc that not all hobbyists are ready to deal with. The marine hobby has made a lot of strides toward captive breeding. This will push it faster, very likely.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2021, 05:59 PM   #7
Zionas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
The freshwater hobby went through some similar constriction, but captive-bred has now all but replaced wild-caught, and in the cases where wild-caught still are a thing, they come in with problems, parasites, etc that not all hobbyists are ready to deal with. The marine hobby has made a lot of strides toward captive breeding. This will push it faster, very likely.

I am all for more captive breeding. If it were possible at this point in time I’d have a tank of only Captive Bred fish and aquacultured corals. Unfortunately it’s not possible yet so looks like I’ll be having wild caught fish for a while (for most species). Hopefully the longer lived ones will make it 10+, 20+ years.

Unread 01/14/2021, 07:50 PM   #8
Bernie21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple12 View Post
Crazy. The aquarium industry better complete the “Chapter 343 environmental review process”.
Soooo?? What exactly is that?

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Downgraded to a 0 Gal non Mixed Reef - Direct sun watts & 1x moon Actinics. RIO 00 return, no skimmer Skimmer.
Bernie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2021, 08:28 PM   #9
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie21 View Post
Soooo?? What exactly is that?

No idea! It's what the article said.

I'm all for reef conservation, but banning aquarium collection just isn't the way to do it. Anyway, fishing takes so much more from the ocean compared to aquarium harvesting, but we don't talk about that...

Unread 01/14/2021, 08:31 PM   #10
Bernie21
Registered Member

Lol. I read that, but equally had no clue what it was. I was hoping it was a popular thing only I didn't know. Hopefully some positives come of this for more sustainable practices as unfortunate as it is.

Current Tank Info: Downgraded to a 0 Gal non Mixed Reef - Direct sun watts & 1x moon Actinics. RIO 00 return, no skimmer Skimmer.
Bernie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2021, 01:42 AM   #11
Zionas
Registered Member

I just hope that we won’t be seeing all those crazy designer Tangs once this ban leads to more mass captive breeding!

Unread 01/15/2021, 08:13 AM   #12
Gangous
Registered Member

I don’t thin u can equate salt and fresh water breeding
I’m not a breeder but assuming that salt water breeding is far more difficult and the price for aqua cultured salt water fish is insane atm but I do agree that on the bright side it will push the industry to hope fully innovate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gangous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2021, 04:04 PM   #13
LOTUS50GOD
Registered Member

Im seeing yellow tangs for 120.00 USD each at the LFS... Time to start selling your yellow tangs..

Current Tank Info: born 6/26/2008- 340 reef + 100 fuge, 300lbs of figi LR
LOTUS50GOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2021, 04:48 PM   #14
Sk8r
RC Mod

Saltwater breeding has been done for a number of species---clowns and several types of damsels are easy. Corals are mostly very easy. With the exception of some that aren't. I swear most of the Clarkiis sold in OK for a few years must have been from a pair I had. I saw a Rubbermaid tankful of their offspring (sold them to a guy who did breed them) and it was downright scary how many, and beyond eensy fry at the time---a barrel full of stripey babies. I think breeders have managed one species of tang, which has quite a rowdy mating performance; maybe dwarf angels, etc. There is also a variety of mariculture that is run by local island settings, where lagoons are sheltered sunlit sites for coral reproduction; fish wouldn't be that much harder. An economic incentive like those 120.00 prices would certainly encourage commercial efforts.

I'm personally not entirely 'for' designer salt water fish: the oceans touch ALL shores and the chance of them getting into the wild with undocumented traits, say, might pose a problem. CF lionfish in Floridian waters.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.

Last edited by Sk8r; 01/15/2021 at 04:54 PM.
Unread 01/15/2021, 05:23 PM   #15
ThePurple12
Registered Member

The thing about tangs (and lots of other saltwater fish) is that they're much harder to breed than clowns, starting out much smaller and having a longer larvae phase.

Unread 01/15/2021, 07:19 PM   #16
Sk8r
RC Mod

And doing a fairly wide-range dance during mating. OTOH, if it were profitable, building tanks of size would become possible. We couldn't manage every species in the hobby, but some, yes. Assuring the survival of a major portion of a hatch (I think of that barrel full of clowns from just one pair) could make up large numbers from fairly small endeavors. We might be able to produce healthy, less-stressed fish and satisfy our needs as well as take the pressure off over-accessed environments. It's fraught with difficulties and obstacles, but hobbyists and marine researchers know things ;.. and would learn things in the process. Dreaming, perhaps, but it is within reach.

Unread 01/15/2021, 10:52 PM   #17
Zionas
Registered Member

I’m not entirely in agreement with designer SW fish with one condition: That the particular morph or hybrid is found in the wild and / or is derived from two naturally occurring, organically occurring species. Other than that I’m much more in favor of only the naturally occurring varieties.

Unread 01/16/2021, 08:13 AM   #18
Timfish
Registered Member

My first thought is this is by a judge and it doesn't seem to be an outright ban but a temporary stop because an animal rights activists found a loophole in a law or regulation they were able to take to court. So it'll be interesting to see how long this actually stays in place. Many of the fish we have have been raised in captivity but they're not profitable and as mentioned above this is may provide the economic incentive to increase the number of species raised commercially in captivity.

Unread 01/16/2021, 08:20 AM   #19
Zionas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfish View Post
My first thought is this is by a judge and it doesn't seem to be an outright ban but a temporary stop because an animal rights activists found a loophole in a law or regulation they were able to take to court. So it'll be interesting to see how long this actually stays in place. Many of the fish we have have been raised in captivity but they're not profitable and as mentioned above this is may provide the economic incentive to increase the number of species raised commercially in captivity.

Yes if it speeds up the captive breeding programs I’m all for that.

Unread 01/21/2021, 11:28 AM   #20
asudavew
Registered Member

ORA continues to have success breeding more and more species.

ORA captive bred fish.

Link to ORA Captive Bred Saltwater Fish

I hear many are having great success with keeping captive bred dragonettes. But I don't know that for sure.

Many captive bred fish are available at LiveAquaria.

Link to LiveAquaria Captive Bred Saltwater Fish

Ora-Fish

Current Tank Info: 180, 125, 75
asudavew is offline   Reply With Quote