Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/08/2010, 05:10 PM   #51
streak
Reef Madness!

If the bristle worm is small put it in the fuge I have heard so many go back and forth on here about them.. I also heard so many different conficting things even at the LFS's but but have seen tons in there DT's so.. Id say its up to you.. if your running a dsb i do know they they help with stirring up the top layer of sand. But if you see dude or dudett get to be like 6" long 1" around then maybe time to thing about tossing it... just use some tongs..

Current Tank Info: 10g nano with 2 clowns 1 Royal Gorama 1 RBTA!
streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2010, 06:46 PM   #52
rayn
Registered Member

Bristleworms are good cleaners, I'd leave it. Thought long time ago was they were bad, but that has changed.

Unread 10/09/2010, 09:06 AM   #53
Coasterfrk
Registered Member

Yay! The NET module for my reef keeper elite came yesterday. I ordered it separately from the rest of the system. The rest will come Monday and I'll make a video starting from the unboxing, the install, and maybe even covering some programming. (If I figure it out enough to be able to show). So let me know what you think.

Coasterfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2010, 11:33 AM   #54
saltymight
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasterfrk View Post
also added a 1/2" Sea-Swirl unit. Got it at my LFS for 70% off. Mounted it in middle of tank and ordered a Y fitting to make it cover 180 degrees.
What does a sea swirl do? Is it like a power head

saltymight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2010, 11:43 AM   #55
saltymight
Registered Member

Nvm I saw your video about the sea swirl. You will want to get a top for your tank it will save on adding water a lot

Unread 10/09/2010, 12:06 PM   #56
Coasterfrk
Registered Member

I've debated a lid but the clips for my light are on the sides of the tank and in the back I have the sea swirl and overflow box. So I don't know what kind would fit best.

Unread 10/09/2010, 01:36 PM   #57
saltymight
Registered Member

I have a 55, and I just hang my lamp from the ceiling. Too easy to do that just grab some chain from home depot and some metal hangers that go into the ceiling. Than for my hood i got some plexie glass and cut it out.

Unread 10/10/2010, 04:25 PM   #58
Coasterfrk
Registered Member

Looking for some help. I know all new aquariums go through algae stages I've been beginning to get alot of brown algae. It's behind to look vert stringy and with bubbles in it I was wondering if this is cause for concern.
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. All 0ppm
Ak at 107ppm

Unread 10/10/2010, 05:57 PM   #59
Coasterfrk
Registered Member

So looking to get a 20g for a quarantine setup and then getting my first fish and leaving it in gt until my tank cycles. What is a good starter fish. I am not interested in damsels because I've had bad experience with their older aggression. Also do you quarantine corals?

Unread 10/11/2010, 05:33 PM   #60
Coasterfrk
Registered Member

My Reef Keeper Elite came today. Working on getting it setup I'll update when it's all ready.

Unread 10/11/2010, 06:49 PM   #61
saltymight
Registered Member

You Can get clown fish they are pretty hearty. You don't QT corals, but I hope you don't plan on getting any for a while. You need to make sure the tank is fully cycled, and than wait until your ph stabilizes.

Unread 10/11/2010, 07:21 PM   #62
Jarret
Registered Member

You also don't want to add a lid to your tank, an open tank allows for a greater exchange of oxygen at the surface assuming you have enough agitation. Putting a lid on top reduces the amount of oxygen that your tank will receive.

Contrary to some belief a protein skimmer does not add enough oxygen into your tanks water.

Jarret is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2010, 07:30 PM   #63
samdaman
Registered Member

Quote:
So I added 30lbs of the live sand to my refugium tank. Boy did that make a mess.

Nice looking forward to seeing the progress. Im curious. Why is it red?

samdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2010, 08:03 PM   #64
red19841984
Registered Member

i like how you update your tank build with video's,to me its more intresting to see it that way,rather than 100 pictures to lookk at,nothing wrong with pictures..but i like seein videos better...i think i might be doin that to...my custom 25 gallon tank is coming on 10/12 of tuesday...tank size is 22x22x12...a shallow tank which i prefer....

red19841984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2010, 03:53 AM   #65
streak
Reef Madness!

Might want to use some water from you DT tank thats cycled and maybe a sponge filter thats been running in your sump for couple of weeks for the QT tank maybe a LR or 2 unless the worse happens and yo have to treat with sumthing.. Corals have to be dipped from what i read they make a dipping solution to rid them of parasites and other hitchikers from tank to tank. some use freshwater and another dip..

Unread 10/12/2010, 11:08 AM   #66
Reefer-Dude1888
Registered Member

Looks great m8 video was good happy reefing..

Reefer-Dude1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2010, 02:26 PM   #67
rayn
Registered Member

For the record if if you truly want to make sure you keep a disease free tank, and are serious about QT, then QT your corals. Some of the hardy ones will make it with less light, but for the more demanding light ones you should invest in atleast a T5 setup for them. Remember while corals and inverts can not get ich, they can transfer ich cysts in any water that is on them and infect your DT.

The red algea in your pic looks like cyano. The remedy for that is clean it off and direct more flow in that area. It grows where there is no flow.

Unread 10/12/2010, 03:49 PM   #68
zvonmonet
Registered Member

great set up, i am also in a middle of setting up mine ), got a youtube if you guys want to see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqa85_ULYKw

my question is how are those odyssea bulbs and the fixture it self, heard mixed reviews but i ordered 2 48" t5 ho fixtures but i heard a bulb swap is a must, on your tank it looks good enough for a start eventually till i get to the hard corals and more advanced stuff i think it will take 6 months and it will be time to swap them anyways

and how did u post the youtube right on the thread is it just an embedded code into here?

zvonmonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2010, 03:50 PM   #69
Coasterfrk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvonmonet View Post

my question is how are those odyssea bulbs and the fixture it self, heard mixed reviews but i ordered 2 48" t5 ho fixtures but i heard a bulb swap is a must, on your tank it looks good enough for a start eventually till i get to the hard corals and more advanced stuff i think it will take 6 months and it will be time to swap them anyways

and how did u post the youtube right on the thread is it just an embedded code into here?
So far I like it I wish it had separate power cords so I could use my reefkeeper instead of the built in timer

Yes it's the imbed code

Unread 10/13/2010, 03:54 PM   #70
Coasterfrk
Registered Member

Set up my gt with an aquaclear 30 and a 20g long. Have two clowns in it now. I know I should wait till my dt cycles then move a filter pad over to the qt. But I got such a good deal on the fish. So I bought an ammonia monitor and I'm gonna keep a close eye on the water quality and do frequent water changes till the dt cycles completely then I'll move them over.

Unread 10/13/2010, 06:33 PM   #71
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Nice build you have going there. I like your videos as well. Looking forward to following your progress. I am in my 7th week of a 36G tank - my first SW.

Pat

Patrick Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2010, 09:31 PM   #72
Coasterfrk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayn View Post
The red algea in your pic looks like cyano. The remedy for that is clean it off and direct more flow in that area. It grows where there is no flow.
I agree it is cyano however the flow is most turbulent in the area it's growing.

Unread 10/13/2010, 11:02 PM   #73
streak
Reef Madness!

Quote:
I agree it is cyano however the flow is most turbulent in the area it's growing.
I had the same thing happend to me i had red slime happen to me all over the floor and some of the rocks in my nano i dono what happened.. i have a mj900 in there cannot recall the gph but it moves the water really well i have set to do a figure 8 and with my hang on back protien skimmer i have some serious movement in my 10 nano.. and i still had the outbreak.. only thing i could come up with was to much feeding.. or too much light. so i got a timer and i feed alot less 2 times a day.

Unread 10/13/2010, 11:14 PM   #74
zvonmonet
Registered Member

is that the brownish algea? or something else? cus i got that brownish algea and the LFS told me its b/c its finishing cycling

zvonmonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2010, 04:53 AM   #75
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvonmonet View Post
is that the brownish algea? or something else? cus i got that brownish algea and the LFS told me its b/c its finishing cycling
typically you will experience algae blooms as your tank matures. from brown diatoms to green hair algae to red/maroon slime algae (cynobacteria). Patients, time, and nutrient export are key I believe in dealing with all three.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon blue line rimless tank
reeftanknewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
55g, build, reef, refugium, sump