Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/24/2017, 07:06 PM   #1
mjc0760
Registered Member

Cool use for ALD Module?

Sometimes, skimmers will run wet... really wet. Of course when this happens, the collection cup fills up quickly. I'm running the Vertex 150 and the problem is that the bubbles start coming out of the four holes in the lid and splattering salty / nasty spray over about a one foot radius. To control the spray, I started to put a folded rag on the lid to cover the holes. The rag will get soaked, but will drip straight down into the sump. I eventually discover the mess and readjust the sump to run drier.

THE SOLUTION: I connected another Leak Detection Probe to my ALD module and put it on top of the folded rag on the lid. Now when the rag gets wet, the Apex will turn off my skimmer and send an Alert to my phone.

A simple solution, but I'm pretty happy that I came up with it. Way easier than installing a float switch in the lid, for sure.

Aqueon 90g RR, Trigger Systems Emerald 34 sump, 2 Radion XR30w G3 PROs, Vertex Omega 150 Skimmer, MaxSpect Gyre XF130 and XF230, Sicce Syncra Silent 4.0 Return, Apex Controller, Avast ATO, BRS Media R

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon mixed reef
mjc0760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 06:26 AM   #2
mjc0760
Registered Member

UPDATE: Apparently, even when the skimmer is running normally, or the slightest bit "wet", enough moisture comes out of the lid to set off the leak detection probe. So, I'm going to try the using just the probe on the lid - - no towel.

Aqueon 90g RR, Trigger Systems Emerald 34 sump, 2 Radion XR30w G3 PROs, Vertex Omega 150 Skimmer, MaxSpect Gyre XF130 and XF230, Sicce Syncra Silent 4.0 Return, Apex Controller, Avast ATO, BRS Media R

Unread 09/25/2017, 12:06 PM   #3
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc0760 View Post
UPDATE: Apparently, even when the skimmer is running normally, or the slightest bit "wet", enough moisture comes out of the lid to set off the leak detection probe. So, I'm going to try the using just the probe on the lid - - no towel.
Are you really needing to adjust your skimmer that much? How come? Is your sump levels fluctuating that much?

I don't think I've touched mine in over a year, atleast.

Unread 09/25/2017, 01:54 PM   #4
Jyetman
Registered Member

I just attach a drain hose to skimmer cup to a small reservoir. I inserted a float switch to the reservoir so when skimmer goes crazy the float activates and my apex controller shuts it off.

Jyetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 03:59 PM   #5
mjc0760
Registered Member

I recently made changes to my ATO float switches, so my water level has been fluctuating more than usual. Once I get them dialed in I'll worry less about my skimmer.

As for the remote reservoir for the skimmate, I have considered that but things are kinda tight in my stand. And my tank is in the living room... I already get an ear full from my wife about all the stuff around the tank stand.

Unread 09/25/2017, 04:37 PM   #6
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc0760 View Post
I recently made changes to my ATO float switches, so my water level has been fluctuating more than usual. Once I get them dialed in I'll worry less about my skimmer.

As for the remote reservoir for the skimmate, I have considered that but things are kinda tight in my stand. And my tank is in the living room... I already get an ear full from my wife about all the stuff around the tank stand.
Doesn't have to be a large reservoir just large enough to slip behind the tank and fit a float inside. Mainly use it as a over flow detector to shut off the skimmer.

Jyetman is offline   Reply With Quote