Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/15/2017, 09:23 AM   #1
Ambiguities
Registered Member

Exclamation Puffy Gill on Clownfish - left side only

Hi Everyone,

First off I want to thank anyone who joins the discussion and brings some ideas and suggestions to it.

I have a young Wyoming White that I purchased from my LFS about 3 weeks ago. He has a slightly puffy gill on one side (left) that appeared out of nowhere about 4 days ago. I didn't come for help sooner because there was no change in behaviour and I thought I was seeing things. I'm worried that it is an infection or something that may be causing him harm and won't heal. He eats, swims, and defends himself (mostly when he isn't cowering) normally. Appetite hasn't changed (except when the Midnight Black Clown pecks at him while he eats).

To give some background, my water parameters are pristine, I have my tank on a feeding schedule of twice daily, none of the other clowns are showing the same problem.

I am worried it may have been an injury caused by the Midnight Black Clownfish as she seems to pester him and nip at him to no end at certain points of the day.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I am truly grateful, I am very worried about him.

Full Image: https://i.imgur.com/Hki2GZm.jpg

Ambiguities is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 09:52 AM   #2
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Hmm none of the places I usually look for information about clownfish disease mentions this kind of swollen gill. It looks very bad to be honest but since it didn't directly fit what I saw of pictures of common clownfish disease that attacks the gills I am a bit out of good advice.

Perhaps it is a physical damage as you suggested with the clowns competing for hirachy and this guy being the last you added?

Make sure to also see if you can see anything physically stuck inside the gill, besides common parasites, I did once see a clown that simply had a piece of gravel stuck in the side of its gill and the seller had given up on removing it but I managed to get it out.

Since you have more than that one clown, it is important to figure out if it can transfer to your other livestock or if it is merely physical damage.

Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 10:08 AM   #3
Ambiguities
Registered Member

This has me really worried. I took advantage of him coming really close to the glass and I couldn't see any colour difference in the gills, it all looks that beautiful orange colour. How would I even go about getting a better look, he is so small, I don't want to hurt him.

Unread 10/15/2017, 10:19 AM   #4
Ambiguities
Registered Member

He was added at the same time as the Midnight but the Midnight clearly wants to be the dominant. If it is a physical injury, will it heal?

Unread 10/15/2017, 11:35 AM   #5
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

I have heard of them dislocating their jaw, yes that kind of stuff can heal. If the midnight pulled in his gill, could it have been pulled outwards like that?

Unread 10/15/2017, 11:38 AM   #6
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

I took a clown and pulled it out of the water and use a cuticle knife to remove gravel from its gill. Doing that can still collaps it's gills from the air, but it is a last resort to try surgery.

First try to locate possible cures to all kinds of clownfish diseases so you can act fast if the symptoms develope.

Here is an excellent list of clownfish ailments, that is the best advice I can think of sadly

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/clnfshdisart.htm

Unread 10/16/2017, 08:06 AM   #7
Ambiguities
Registered Member

I went to my LFS and the guy told me it was most likely from fighting. He said that the gill plate could have locked or broken into a more open position while backing up too quickly during a fight. He basically said the little guy will either be okay but always have the damage or die shortly...

I have him in QT and treating him with Herbtana to try and stave off a possible infection. I feel sick about this. I like him more than the midnight...

Unread 10/16/2017, 01:06 PM   #8
pfan151
Registered Member

Flared gills is pretty common on CB clowns. Are you sure it wasn't always like that and you just didn't notice before?

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 12:58 PM   #9
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

I finally found something specific about it.
Here, read this:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2370800

Tags
clownfish, gill, puffy, swollen