Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/01/2012, 02:11 AM   #1076
Loonytic
Registered Member

I have a few Typhon 1.0 boards left over. Message or email me if you want one.

Loonytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 12:09 AM   #1077
Jay1982
Registered Member

Quote:

The design files are here:

http://code.google.com/p/typhon-reef/

There's a schematic and board file in EAGLE format. You will need to download the EAGLE software and convert these to gerbers (search google if you don't know how to do that) and then send the gerbers to a board manufacturer (iteadstudio, seeedstudio, batchpcb, etc) to get the pcbs made. Here are those two files:

http://typhon-reef.googlecode.com/sv...hon/typhon.brd
http://typhon-reef.googlecode.com/sv...hon/typhon.sch

Then you will need to order the parts on the BOM (bill of materials) which is here:

http://typhon-reef.googlecode.com/sv...typhon_bom.xls

Then, solder it up.

Then, you will need to put the Arduino IDE on your PC, and get a way for the PC to talk to the controller. Typically this is with a USB-TTL converter from FTDI, like one of these:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9718

Then, get the Typhon firmware from the repo:

http://typhon-reef.googlecode.com/sv...hon/typhon.pde

And upload it to the board.
Anyways, this post here was pretty useful but I still have a lot of gaping holes for me to fill. 99% of the jargon in this thread is Chinese to me so forgive me for my basic questions.

I`m in waaaaaaay over my head but I`m in desperate need of a controller. So I will try and do this myself despite having 0 experience. Originally I had someone who was ready to help me out but I think he`s either backed out or gotten fed up with my constant questions, lol.

I guess the important thing to ask is, if I screw up is there the potential for burning out or blowing my drivers or LEDs? If so I will need to find someone to build me one because I can`t lose the odd thousand dollars I sunk into my array.

My setup is 9 meanwell ELN 60 48ps; currently they are run with analog devices but my schedule leads me to not being around my aquarium when the lights need to be turned off and on. What I am looking for in this controller is one that can turn on and off the LEDs throughout the day as well as have extra programs like storms and cloud cover.

Anyways, now that that is out of the way, here are my main questions regarding the build process:

Can this unit be constructed in a day or should I plan a few days worth of time to making this?

The BOM file is my holy grail at this point because I have no idea what these parts are or look like. My main problem though is that some parts don`t have a part number to it; if I go on mouser and input the device or value name I get either 0 hits or a thousand. Is this because the list I am using is old?

Another issue I am having is when I go to http://code.google.com/p/typhon-reef/ for design files I am getting a empty pages. Also, I see I will have to download eagle to get the schematics to wire the device; I did a search for eagle software and have quite a few hits. Is this freeware or is there a specific company that has the software?

I would need at least 5 10v channels since I am running 9 drivers, what do I need to do differently to achieve this?

In terms of loading sketch I see I will need to put the Arduino IDE on my PC, and get a way for the PC to talk to the controller. Typically this is with a USB-TTL converter from FTDI; however I have noticed that this is a wire; is there a wireless way of doing this? My computer is no where close to where my controller will be.

Finally, my last question (for now ) is that someone mentioned a wiring diagram for the drivers controller and LEDs; I can`t find it for the life of me on this thread. Does someone have one I could borrow; I`ll give it back, promise.

Thanks to anyone still reading, lol

Current Tank Info: 135 reef tank, 50 gallon turtle aquarium, 1.21 Gigawatts?!
Jay1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2012, 04:23 PM   #1078
Jay1982
Registered Member

I no longer need help resolving the problem of having the google page come up blank.

If someone can look at the picture below just tell me if this is right for wiring the final unit to the LEDs. I see from reading the thread that I can only have 2 drivers per channel; hook up the blues with the blues, blacks with the blacks. My confusion is where do the red wires lead to? I assume its the LEDs; do I wire the beginning and end of the series of LEDs with the red wire from the meanwell?

Unread 05/09/2012, 07:19 PM   #1079
hebhaphop
Registered Member

hey all! I just wanted to say that I have also built the typhon using an arduino mega 2560 and i have been super impressed !!

I have made added a few things to try to push its abilities a little further and so far I have working:
*using 20x4 lcd instead of 16x2
*set 1 channel to be moonlight by making it inverted and then modifying
the analogwrite map to match the non inverted map except make the
minimum value of this channel as the maximum value of the
moonlight(used a string of only RB cree 3w XT-E).
*using dallas temperature probes, 3x and displaying them on the screen
beneath the 4 channel values (extra room in lcd thanks to 20x4 size).

still working on:
*adding 5th channel to act only at dawn and dusk...hoping to have a few
orange/yellow led's simulate sunrise and sunset beyond just typical
white/blue spectrum
*extra menu to choose which string is the moonlight (switch the boolean
value to true or false through the menu)
*ethernet connection for both display of temp and light settings as well as
ability to adjust led channels using android smartphone
* use relay board to make wavemaker with arduino (thinking of using a
simple blink program and modifying the delay between blinks to be appropriate for wavemaking
*use a magnetic relay (typically used in security systems on doors or windows) on sump cabinet doors that can trigger a worklight for
extra lighting beneath the tank

just a few fun ideas to see what can be done using this platform........I'm quite new to the whole scene and so far have enjoyed the heck out of messing with arduino language and getting this thing put together from scratch.

I hope there are others out there tinkering with this as well still.

thanks all!

Last edited by hebhaphop; 05/09/2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: accidenly submitted incomplete post
hebhaphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2012, 08:25 PM   #1080
O2Surplus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebhaphop View Post
hey all! I just wanted to say that I have also built the typhon using an arduino mega 2560 and i have been super impressed !!

I have made added a few things to try to push its abilities a little further and so far I have working:
*using 20x4 lcd instead of 16x2
*set 1 channel to be moonlight by making it inverted and then modifying
the analogwrite map to match the non inverted map except make the
minimum value of this channel as the maximum value of the
moonlight(used a string of only RB cree 3w XT-E).
*using dallas temperature probes, 3x and displaying them on the screen
beneath the 4 channel values (extra room in lcd thanks to 20x4 size).

still working on:
*adding 5th channel to act only at dawn and dusk...hoping to have a few
orange/yellow led's simulate sunrise and sunset beyond just typical
white/blue spectrum
*extra menu to choose which string is the moonlight (switch the boolean
value to true or false through the menu)
*ethernet connection for both display of temp and light settings as well as
ability to adjust led channels using android smartphone
* use relay board to make wavemaker with arduino (thinking of using a
simple blink program and modifying the delay between blinks to be appropriate for wavemaking
*use a magnetic relay (typically used in security systems on doors or windows) on sump cabinet doors that can trigger a worklight for
extra lighting beneath the tank

just a few fun ideas to see what can be done using this platform........I'm quite new to the whole scene and so far have enjoyed the heck out of messing with arduino language and getting this thing put together from scratch.

I hope there are others out there tinkering with this as well still.

thanks all!
Sounds Cool, I'd like to see more details on that when you get it done. I'm still building SMD versions of the original typhon, so I'm a bit behind in adding extra functionality.

O2Surplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 12:56 PM   #1081
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1982 View Post
I guess the important thing to ask is, if I screw up is there the potential for burning out or blowing my drivers or LEDs? If so I will need to find someone to build me one because I can`t lose the odd thousand dollars I sunk into my array.
You could possibly blow things up but it's not entirely likely. The dimming control is really only sending a signal to the driver, and the signal the Typhon generates can not really cause damage. The big potentials for damage in these arrays are there no matter what you're doing for a controller (i.e. shorting multiple LEDs to the heatsink, sloppy driver wiring, incorrect driver adjustment, etc).

Quote:
Can this unit be constructed in a day or should I plan a few days worth of time to making this?
I can put one together, load the firmware, configure the variables, wire it up, and test it in less than an hour. My FIRST ever unit though took more like several hours spread over a few weeks. There's definitely a range here. Plan on plenty of time to troubleshoot and test, not just build.

[quote]The BOM file is my holy grail at this point because I have no idea what these parts are or look like. My main problem though is that some parts don`t have a part number to it; if I go on mouser and input the device or value name I get either 0 hits or a thousand. Is this because the list I am using is old?[quote]

Can you post some specific parts you are having problems with? The mouser part numbers from the BOM are what you want to search on. You should get one or two hits per. If anything is not in stock, you should still get a hit, just with zero stock.

Quote:
In terms of loading sketch I see I will need to put the Arduino IDE on my PC, and get a way for the PC to talk to the controller. Typically this is with a USB-TTL converter from FTDI; however I have noticed that this is a wire; is there a wireless way of doing this? My computer is no where close to where my controller will be.
You load the firmware once when you build the controller, then you never need to connect it to a PC again.

Quote:
If someone can look at the picture below just tell me if this is right for wiring the final unit to the LEDs. I see from reading the thread that I can only have 2 drivers per channel; hook up the blues with the blues, blacks with the blacks. My confusion is where do the red wires lead to? I assume its the LEDs; do I wire the beginning and end of the series of LEDs with the red wire from the meanwell?

Red and black on the output side go to + and - of the LED string(s), respectively. Blue and white go to + and gnd from the 10v header on the Typhon, respectively.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 02:31 PM   #1082
Jay1982
Registered Member

Thank you

Unread 05/19/2012, 09:46 AM   #1083
byee
Registered Member

Quote:
Anyways, this post here was pretty useful but I still have a lot of gaping holes for me to fill. 99% of the jargon in this thread is Chinese to me so forgive me for my basic questions.

I`m in waaaaaaay over my head but I`m in desperate need of a controller. So I will try and do this myself despite having 0 experience. Originally I had someone who was ready to help me out but I think he`s either backed out or gotten fed up with my constant questions, lol.

My setup is 9 meanwell ELN 60 48ps; currently they are run with analog devices but my schedule leads me to not being around my aquarium when the lights need to be turned off and on. What I am looking for in this controller is one that can turn on and off the LEDs throughout the day as well as have extra programs like storms and cloud cover.

Anyways, now that that is out of the way, here are my main questions regarding the build process:

The BOM file is my holy grail at this point because I have no idea what these parts are or look like. My main problem though is that some parts don`t have a part number to it; if I go on mouser and input the device or value name I get either 0 hits or a thousand. Is this because the list I am using is old?

Another issue I am having is when I go to http://code.google.com/p/typhon-reef/ for design files I am getting a empty pages. Also, I see I will have to download eagle to get the schematics to wire the device; I did a search for eagle software and have quite a few hits. Is this freeware or is there a specific company that has the software?

I would need at least 5 10v channels since I am running 9 drivers, what do I need to do differently to achieve this?

Finally, my last question (for now ) is that someone mentioned a wiring diagram for the drivers controller and LEDs; I can`t find it for the life of me on this thread. Does someone have one I could borrow; I`ll give it back, promise.

Thanks to anyone still reading, lol

jay1982,

which one of these LCD display should be I purchasing from moderndevice 5vdc or 3.3vdc?

5v version - http://shop.moderndevice.com/products/16x2-blue-lcd
3.3v version - http://shop.moderndevice.com/product...racter-display

byee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2012, 04:09 PM   #1084
SurfCastinRI
Registered Member

Just about ready to start ordering parts I think. Just trying to track down some of the last small parts that don't have parts numbers listed and trying you figure out exactly what I need for pin headers. Also just having a little trouble figuring out what I need to do to get the boards ordered from seeeds. Thank you to everyone that put the time and effort in to this. Even if I spend the same amount as I would just ordering this complete, I am happy to be building my own!

SurfCastinRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2012, 08:13 PM   #1085
jc286006
Registered Member

i am having a little trouble finding a few parts locally mainly the battery holder i cant find the 12 mm holder and i dont really want to make an order from mouser for just that can i use a 2032 holder and mount it remotely? the battery is only for back-up in case of power failure correct?

also on the relay boards for the hydra controller i used 2n2222a transistors instead of the 2n2222 did i F$%^ up doing this? the specs i find on the 2n2222a transistor looks to make it a little beefier than the 2n2222.

also i have some 2n4401`s that seem to have almost the same specs would these work in place of the 2n2222`s

sorry for all the questions but i am not an electrical engineer just a diy er that probably gets in over my head on these things but i enjoy building them and experiencing the hopeful end success!!! without smoke LOL!!

thanks for any help james

Last edited by jc286006; 06/03/2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: forgot a question
jc286006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2012, 10:15 AM   #1086
shark boy
Registered Member

Typhon ][

Is there any word on the second edition of the Typhon?
I haven't checked for a new thread, I figured when the V2.0 came out
someone would post it here first.
I'm interested in finding out what the changes are going to be, will have the 328 chip or the 2560, on board FDTI, more pwm channels?
shark boy

shark boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2012, 08:42 PM   #1087
rk_tek
Registered Member

Im also interested in knowing if there's any general timeline for the newest hardware version. I've built 4 of the old version but would like to streamline my equipment and possibly use the new version to do so. Not in a rush, just wondering.

rk_tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2012, 09:28 AM   #1088
JarekS
Registered Member

Has anyone hooke up another board to typhoon? I have one of those BBB from modern device, and though to myself, insted of trying to re-invent the wheel with typhoon, why not hook up BBB to typhoon and have plenty of free pins to do temp sensors, relays and such. But I have not a clue how to de the coding part the two boards to talk to eachother. Does anyon have some sample code to look at, so i could try to adapt it to my board. Such as have the BBB to get time from typhoon, operate relays on BBB at specific times, and get temp reading that are on BBB to be seen on typhoon, (and possibly do the dimming of the moon lights)

Thanks for any info on the subject!

jarek

JarekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2012, 01:45 PM   #1089
Zoanut
Registered Member

Great thread. Now who would like to make me one? think it might be a little out of my depth.

Zoanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2012, 08:30 PM   #1090
jc286006
Registered Member

i have a typhon built and its alive!!! now i need to know what pins are for hooking up to a programmer? i am using a parallel port programmer i am building to program the sketches but do not know which pins it should hook to any help would be appreciated
thanks james

Unread 06/30/2012, 09:17 PM   #1091
O2Surplus
Registered Member

The 6 pin FTDI connection is used to program the "Typhon Controller". The pins are lined up inline just to the right of the lcd header. I use a USB/FTDI adapter to program the ones that I build, so I can't really help with your parallel programmer.

Unread 07/09/2012, 10:22 PM   #1092
pandimus
Registered Member

How much memory is left after the current program has been burned in? Is there enough room to program presets? i/e a preset of channel one only, or a preset for channel one 30%, channel two 80%?

4x AI Sol Blues/Director + 2 80w T5 retrofit/Apex Controller

Current Tank Info: 125 gal 72X18X22
pandimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2012, 04:39 AM   #1093
SteveT
Registered Member

Any news on the Typhon mkII yet, rumors, timeline etc ?

SteveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2012, 03:59 PM   #1094
skunkmere
Registered Member

i want a typhoon, anyone have one?

thanks
skunk

skunkmere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2012, 08:27 PM   #1095
jc286006
Registered Member

i am to the point of uploading sketches but keep getting avrdude out of sync errors what board should i be telling the arduino program a typhon is ? has anyone else had this problem? help!!!!!
thanks james

Unread 07/29/2012, 10:12 PM   #1096
jc286006
Registered Member

typhon sketches

can anyone send me a sketch to get my typhon started up? i have downloaded the PDE file at the wiki but when i compile it in the arduino environment it gives me numerous errors missing data etc
all i want is a sketch to get it doing more than blinking the back light i have now and the row of chars where it should say hello world can anyone help?

Unread 07/30/2012, 11:14 AM   #1097
O2Surplus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc286006 View Post
can anyone send me a sketch to get my typhon started up? i have downloaded the PDE file at the wiki but when i compile it in the arduino environment it gives me numerous errors missing data etc
all i want is a sketch to get it doing more than blinking the back light i have now and the row of chars where it should say hello world can anyone help?
Which version of the Arduino IDE are you using? If you're using the new 1.0 version- that may be the reason you're having problems. I haven't looked at the latest release of the typhon firmware, I'd imagine that's it's still compatible with Arduino version 23 or earlier, not Arduino 1.0. If this is your issue, go back to arduino.cc and down load the earlier version 23 and try compiling the sketch again. Unless there's something a miss with your construction of the typhon pcb, it should compile and load properly.

Unread 07/30/2012, 05:59 PM   #1098
jc286006
Registered Member

i am using the newest version of arduino ide i will redownload the older version and try it again thanks james

Unread 07/30/2012, 06:52 PM   #1099
jc286006
Registered Member

ok that didnt work now i am more confused when i look at the schematic for the lcd pin connections they show one thing for the pinouts then on the atmega328 chip they are showing hooking into other pin numbers
i am probably just missing something but the light has not even flickered yet Help!!!!

Unread 07/30/2012, 09:06 PM   #1100
O2Surplus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc286006 View Post
ok that didnt work now i am more confused when i look at the schematic for the lcd pin connections they show one thing for the pinouts then on the atmega328 chip they are showing hooking into other pin numbers
i am probably just missing something but the light has not even flickered yet Help!!!!
Are you building a Typhon on the actual "Typhon" PCB? or are you trying to build one on a bread board based on just the circuit schematic?