Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 06/05/2015, 11:46 AM   #14876
kptompk
Registered Member

8 month old tank

I have a 20 Gal reef tank with 20lb of live rock and a deep sand bed

I have a fluval m24 LED light

Filtration: power head and an in the tank filter with carbon infused filter material.

Fish: osilarus clown, bangi cardinal, sailfin blenny (lawnmower)
Softies: mushrooms, leather, zoanthids, xina, gsp, kenya tree
CUC: snails, hermits, bristle worms, brittle stars, asterina stars, peppermint shrimp
other: 1 Hawaii feather duster, sexy shrimp

looking to get two more fish and some more soft coral.

Possibly: royal gramma and a six line wras

What other fish and colorful softies would you recommend?

Note:
All my levels are spot on with no water changes in 7.5 months

Last edited by kptompk; 06/05/2015 at 12:12 PM.
Unread 06/05/2015, 12:02 PM   #14877
thestreetzking
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS Mike D View Post
I'll let the experts answer for sure, but I have a similar set up and put 3 pajama in and they keep together at the top of the tank - which is very nice. They are nocturnal so in the group they don't hide during the day.

Also, I added a small school of blue/green chromis and they really brought the tank to life. Small peaceful and active fish. They'll school in the water flow as well as cycle in, out and all around the reef rock.

Once cool thing is from time to time they will circle about the cleaner shrimp and cycle right into it and let the shrimp clean them, like a group of cars and the car wash.

Not sure if you can add more pajama cardinals after having one in the tank, but they are very peaceful.

The clowns did get a little more defensive of their territory, but nothing of concern.
I don't know if I can do 3. I at least would like one more if it's a good idea. I also don't have any shrimp yet but a cleaner is on the list! thanks for the input

Unread 06/05/2015, 02:49 PM   #14878
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
Your the one who said you dont recommend because you are concerned about uronema marinum so i figure you would explain why your concerned. Are you concerned because qt is not an effective tool to eliminate that?
This thread is not a discussion thread. If you want to start your own thread in reef fish, I am sure you can get lots of opinions. However I am clearly not the right person to help you at this point.

Unread 06/05/2015, 02:51 PM   #14879
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestreetzking View Post
Ok so im currently running a 29g (not a cube) with 30lbs rock, all in one, with lots of coral in future (only 6 pieces currently)

I have:
*pair of Oc. Clowns
*neon goby
*pajama cardinal
*10 assorted snails
*emerald crab

Should I add another pajama so there together? or bangai cardinal?
If not, is there one more small fish that I could add. I dont wanna push the limits to much and some might think I am already
There is no need to add another fish and you are right on the margin for this sized tank currently.

Unread 06/05/2015, 02:59 PM   #14880
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:

The clowns did get a little more defensive of their territory, but nothing of concern.
This thread is only answered by Reef Central Staff, in this case, me. While we encourage you to participate in all other areas of Reef Central, we would appreciate your not answering in this thread. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Unread 06/05/2015, 02:59 PM   #14881
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestreetzking View Post
I don't know if I can do 3. I at least would like one more if it's a good idea. I also don't have any shrimp yet but a cleaner is on the list! thanks for the input
This thread is only answered by Reef Central Staff, in this case, me. While we encourage you to participate in all other areas of Reef Central, we would appreciate your not answering in this thread. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Unread 06/05/2015, 03:02 PM   #14882
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
pistol shrimp?

29g (not a cube)

2 clowns ocelaris
4 blue/green chromis
1 blue/green reef chromis
3 pajama cardinals
1 tail spot blenny
1 watchman goby
1 coral beauty coral angel
1 purple dotty back
1 black cardinal

1 cleaner shrimp
1 emerald crab
3 hermits
1 mexican turbo snail

various corals, soft, mushroom, lps, sps, hawaiin feather duster worm and one very happy and fast growing long tentacle anemone.

about 30lbs of live rock

It's a an active yet peaceful tank. I'm keeping a close eye on my numbers and the alga in case I need more cleanup crew, but as it is now, they doing their job just fine (in fact i would prefer if they would leave some algae in the rock for the blenny and angel)

The power heads shift the sand to partially close up the gobi's spot. I wold like to add a pistol shrimp to help out with keeping the goby happy.
this is way overstocked for this sized tank and you will definitely have behavior problems soon if not already. Sorry, I cannot even begin to help you with this current stocking.

Unread 06/05/2015, 03:59 PM   #14883
mmittlesteadt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
In this sized tank you do not want an active swimmer; the tank is just not large enough
Thanks. That is understandable. Would a pair of Percula Clowns be alright with the rest of these selections?

40 breeder (with a 65 gallon sump/27 gallon refugium)

Diamond Watchman Goby (pods in my fuge/DT)
Lawnmower Blenny (only with established tank)
Royal Gramma
Bangaii Cardinal
Pajama Cardinal
Firefish

40 Gallon Build Thread - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2486801

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder, Eshopps PSK-100, Kessil A160WE, 70 lbs. rock, 65 gallon sump, 27 gallon refugium
Unread 06/05/2015, 04:03 PM   #14884
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmittlesteadt View Post
Thanks. That is understandable. Would a pair of Percula Clowns be alright with the rest of these selections?

Royal Gramma
Bangaii Cardinal
Pajama Cardinal
Firefish
Yes. Be sure you get either a bonded pair or two tiny ones which will bond as they mature.

Unread 06/05/2015, 04:08 PM   #14885
mmittlesteadt
Registered Member

Would a pair of Percula Clowns be alright with the rest of these selections?

Royal Gramma
Bangaii Cardinal
Pajama Cardinal
Firefish

Quote:
Yes. Be sure you get either a bonded pair or two tiny ones which will bond as they mature.
Thanks. The pair I'm interested in are only about an inch long at the present time. They may be my first purchase then.

40 Gallon Build Thread - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2486801

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder, Eshopps PSK-100, Kessil A160WE, 70 lbs. rock, 65 gallon sump, 27 gallon refugium
Unread 06/05/2015, 04:11 PM   #14886
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmittlesteadt View Post
Would a pair of Percula Clowns be alright with the rest of these selections?

Royal Gramma
Bangaii Cardinal
Pajama Cardinal
Firefish

Thanks. The pair I'm interested in are only about an inch long at the present time. They may be my first purchase then.
That size should be fine. You simply want to insure that they have not yet begun sexual maturation. They will work it out! Just like when we were in high school.

Unread 06/05/2015, 06:32 PM   #14887
juniorrocketdad
Registered Member

Are porcelain crabs fish/coral eaters? My tank is 34 gallons containing two occelaris black ice clowns, a bicolor blenny, and a sixline wrasse

Unread 06/05/2015, 06:34 PM   #14888
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorrocketdad View Post
Are porcelain crabs fish/coral eaters? My tank is 34 gallons containing two occelaris black ice clowns, a bicolor blenny, and a sixline wrasse
No, but the sixline wrasse may not allow it to exist (very long).

Unread 06/05/2015, 10:46 PM   #14889
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Quote:
This thread is not a discussion thread. If you want to start your own thread in reef fish, I am sure you can get lots of opinions. However I am clearly not the right person to help you at this point.
Clearly. I thought that's what this thread was about......intended fish purchases. Was just a simple question. I'll leave you to it

Unread 06/06/2015, 06:55 AM   #14890
Jrambo88
Registered Member

40b LPS tank, Melanurus wrasse, flame angel and what else would get along with these?

Unread 06/06/2015, 07:00 AM   #14891
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrambo88 View Post
40b LPS tank, Melanurus wrasse, flame angel and what else would get along with these?
A flame angel needs a somewhat larger mature tank because it is an algae grazer. As those who follow this thread know, I do not provide recommendations. However I am always happy to analyze any stocking plan as long as tank size is provided.

Unread 06/06/2015, 07:29 AM   #14892
Jrambo88
Registered Member

Hmmm, I know the wrasse can be a bully so I know any fairy is out and. I know I can't get another dwarf angel. I was just curious on any recommendations.

Unread 06/06/2015, 11:54 PM   #14893
Noob2015
Registered Member

Tang for 90 gallon

I just added a pair of chocolate clowns today. Both small from same tank at LFS. One slightly larger than other which I read helps when they compete for dominance. I'd like one tang but looking for suggestions on which are good options for my 90 gallon tank (36x24x24) with 30 gallon sump. Also.... is adding him next ok? And if there aren't issues with adding next, then how long should I wait before adding? A week? 2?
Blue Tang or powder blue are two I hope would work.

Unread 06/07/2015, 04:35 AM   #14894
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob2015 View Post
I just added a pair of chocolate clowns today. Both small from same tank at LFS. One slightly larger than other which I read helps when they compete for dominance. I'd like one tang but looking for suggestions on which are good options for my 90 gallon tank (36x24x24) with 30 gallon sump. Also.... is adding him next ok? And if there aren't issues with adding next, then how long should I wait before adding? A week? 2?
Blue Tang or powder blue are two I hope would work.
Reef Central's recommendations for tank sizes for tangs can be found here.

Unread 06/07/2015, 08:21 PM   #14895
itsmeraja86
Registered Member

Hi,
MY Tank is 30 Gallon with following Equipments
1 HOB Aqueon QuietFlow 50 Bio Filter
1 9W HOB Aqueon UV Sterilizer
1 Koralia 550gph Pump
Fluval Heater with adjustable temperature(Set to 24)
33 LB's of Live Rocks
2 inches of Gravel

Live Stocks:

2 Ocillaris clown fishes
1 six line wrass
1 fire goby
1 blood red fire shrimp
1 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp

My purpose now is to add yellow and blue color to my tank because everything i have are red/orange/white

Note: I went to a LFS and they suggested me to get 1 Bi Color angel which i later realized that a very tough species to keep in aquarium. It didnt ate anything and died in 2 weeks.

Now i need to know if i am at my full capacity if not please suggest me some unique colored fishes. Yellow , Blue, Purple are my preferences to add colors to my aquarium.

Thanks,

Unread 06/07/2015, 08:28 PM   #14896
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeraja86 View Post
Hi,
MY Tank is 30 Gallon with following Equipments
1 HOB Aqueon QuietFlow 50 Bio Filter
1 9W HOB Aqueon UV Sterilizer
1 Koralia 550gph Pump
Fluval Heater with adjustable temperature(Set to 24)
33 LB's of Live Rocks
2 inches of Gravel

Live Stocks:

2 Ocillaris clown fishes
1 six line wrass
1 fire goby
1 blood red fire shrimp
1 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp

My purpose now is to add yellow and blue color to my tank because everything i have are red/orange/white

Note: I went to a LFS and they suggested me to get 1 Bi Color angel which i later realized that a very tough species to keep in aquarium. It didnt ate anything and died in 2 weeks.

Now i need to know if i am at my full capacity if not please suggest me some unique colored fishes. Yellow , Blue, Purple are my preferences to add colors to my aquarium.

Thanks,
You are at full capacity; also the six line wrasse will probably not allow additional fish in any case

Unread 06/08/2015, 05:52 AM   #14897
itsmeraja86
Registered Member

Thank you Steve...

Unread 06/08/2015, 11:46 AM   #14898
Noob2015
Registered Member

Earlier post (just added a pair of chocolate clowns today. Both small from same tank at LFS. One slightly larger than other which I read helps when they compete for dominance. I'd like one tang but looking for suggestions on which are good options for my 90 gallon tank (36x24x24) with 30 gallon sump. Also.... is adding him next ok? And if there aren't issues with adding next, then how long should I wait before adding? A week? 2?
Blue Tang or powder blue are two I hope would work.)
----------------------------------
I have a relatively small algae issue so have decided to make 3rd fish an algae eater. Mostly hair algae as far as I know by comparing to pics and blogs I've found here. What do you think would be best?
-fox face (want one anyway)
-lawnmower blenny (would actually like in addition to fox face
-court jester
Only added the two clowns this past sat so was going to wait a week or two before next fish. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Noob2015; 06/08/2015 at 11:58 AM.
Unread 06/08/2015, 01:00 PM   #14899
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob2015 View Post
Earlier post (just added a pair of chocolate clowns today. Both small from same tank at LFS. One slightly larger than other which I read helps when they compete for dominance. I'd like one tang but looking for suggestions on which are good options for my 90 gallon tank (36x24x24) with 30 gallon sump. Also.... is adding him next ok? And if there aren't issues with adding next, then how long should I wait before adding? A week? 2?
Blue Tang or powder blue are two I hope would work.)
----------------------------------
I have a relatively small algae issue so have decided to make 3rd fish an algae eater. Mostly hair algae as far as I know by comparing to pics and blogs I've found here. What do you think would be best?
-fox face (want one anyway)
-lawnmower blenny (would actually like in addition to fox face
-court jester
Only added the two clowns this past sat so was going to wait a week or two before next fish. Any thoughts?
Reef Central's recommendations for tank sizes for tangs can be found here. However, a tang and a foxface will not work in this sized tank. I would slow down rather than go as fast as you are planning.

Unread 06/08/2015, 03:06 PM   #14900
Herstead
Registered Member

Thanks!

Hi Steve,

It has been a long time since I asked about compatibility. Last time I posted I had no fish.

Our tank is a 250 gallon display tank + 100 gallon sump/refugium.

Currently we have
1) Pair of Amphiprion ocellaris (Snowflake Clowns)
2) Pair of Pterapogon kauderni (Banggai Cardinals) M+F (almost 100% sure we have an actual pair, the jaws look different and they are always together in the tank for 3 months now)
3) Harem of Pseudanthias bimaculatus (Twin-spot Anthias) M+F (are going to add more females when our local store gets them in)
4) Pair of Synchiropus splendidus (Mandarin Dragonets) M+F They have been in tank almost a year and are nice and plump.
5) An Ecsenius midas (Midas Blenny)
6) A Siganus Vigratus (Lined Rabbitfish)

We want to add:

1) A Gramma melacara (Black Cap Basslet)
2) A Chromis cyaneus (Blue Reef Chromis)
3) Centropyge loriculus (Flame Angel) We will be limiting our corals accordingly.
4) Two Acanthurus coeruleus (Atlantic Blue Tang) Planning on getting them when they are both yellow still. In the wild they mate in large groups but travel in pairs that are not sex specific so we are planning on attempting it.

Thanks again for all your work!

- The Hersteads

Closed Thread

Tags
marine fish compatibility