Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/27/2005, 03:02 AM   #26
jeffreylam1132
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefpeep2004
Actually I've been using Catalina Water for more than a year. I usually drive over to Reef Collection, since they only charge .25/gallon.

My ears perked up at "FREE" water in LB, but sadly....it was rumor only
Hi Reefpeep,

Do you know the address for Reef Collection. That is a very good deal for Catalina water. Here in L.A., I have to paid .60/gallon.

Current Tank Info: Tankless
jeffreylam1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2005, 01:28 PM   #27
raskal311
Registered Member

Reef Collection up their price to 35cent, which is about average in OC. I think coral oasis has it for 30 cent, everyone else has it for 39cent. Ooo and there is Pet Town who charges $1.29 rip off!!!!

for info on reef collection go to reefcollection.com

btw unless your in the area or need a lot of water I wouldn't drive down to OC just for water. The gas would make up for the savings.

raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2005, 01:32 PM   #28
raskal311
Registered Member

And go to coraloasis.com for info on them.

raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2005, 04:25 PM   #29
FrozenSurfer
Here Fishy Fishy

Ok, for all the reefers in LB....There is free water, it's called "harbour water" and there is a rumor going around that you can grow a new species of LPS... it's the same kinda stuff they found down in San O off the power plant... they say it is neon green... very pretty... and splits quite easliy too.

FrozenSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2005, 06:43 PM   #30
abad36
Registered Member

where the LB one...
I get my water from aqutic outlet near lax... 60 gal card for 13.99 on sale !! comes out to about $ 0.56,.... I pick up 60 gals in one shot so i dont make so many trips... but i would love to get water from LB... PM me the location

abad36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2005, 06:49 PM   #31
jeffreylam1132
Registered Member

Thanks Kevin. I actually drop by reefcollection last week. A very nice little place. Where's coraloasis located? I went to their website by it's under construction.

Current Tank Info: Tankless
jeffreylam1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2005, 08:05 AM   #32
jarhed
Premium Member

It's in Irvine, across Main street from the airport. Definitely check them out. Dont mess with my 180 tank thats sitting on the floor in the front of the store. Just gotta figure out a way to get it home.

jarhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2005, 10:24 AM   #33
glaudds
Registered Member

Thanks, boarder, for the great directions! Just got back from visiting my son at UCSB and picked up 40 gallons of the free NSW.

Out of curiosity, I tested the water and no surprise, the readings were consistent with NSW... CA=410, alk=2.5 meq/L, nitrates undetectable, salinity 1.026.

Anybody have detailed directions to the Scripp water in SD (or is it in La Jolla)? I can't remember where it is.

glaudds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2005, 07:11 PM   #34
Konadog
Master of the 16 hour day

Quote:
Originally posted by glaudds
Anybody have detailed directions to the Scripp water in SD (or is it in La Jolla)? I can't remember where it is.
Try this: http://www.sio.ucsd.edu/about/directory/ The place to get water is at the pier, just to the left of it.

-Ken

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless, and loving it!
Konadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2005, 03:44 AM   #35
fish @ chips 29
Registered Member

is there a limt to how much water to can take from the scipps location?

fish @ chips 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2005, 09:11 AM   #36
tigerczr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by abad36
where the LB one...
I get my water from aqutic outlet near lax... 60 gal card for 13.99 on sale !! comes out to about $ 0.56,.... I pick up 60 gals in one shot so i dont make so many trips... but i would love to get water from LB... PM me the location
It actually comes out to about .23 cents per gallon and it's the best deal in anywhere on Catalina water. I also go there for my water.

Current Tank Info: In-Wall 150g tank, 230lbs LR, 200lbs LS, MRC 3 Protein Skimmer, 3x 250w MH, Close Loop
tigerczr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2005, 07:06 PM   #37
JHReef
Registered Member

UCSB is the only water for me! Since I was "turned on" to that source, I have a really REALLY hard time opening my wallet to pay for Catalina water. Incidentally the Catalina stuff is the only thing I use if I can't get to SB. One problem w/the Cat. stuff is usually low in SG compared to UCSB. I feel bad for those poor souls who actually mix water, I don't think I even remember how to do it anymore.

Current Tank Info: 180 gal acrylic reef, dual rear corner overflows, 50 gal sump, TopFathom TF200 skim. NO flour. 80wt., VHO - 320 wt., MH 400wt x2. Zoas,shrooms, rics,LPS,SPS. 20 gal. reef running 3+ years, DIY sump/fuge, new 130wt PC w lunar LED
JHReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2005, 02:55 PM   #38
sbgreen
Registered Member

UCSB water is what i use, granted, i am on my first reef tank and only 3 weeks into it. i have a few quetions:

I was wondering since the water in SB isnt exactly tropical and a much lower temp than tropical environments, am I going to be lacking important trace elements and the such? I love the free water, in fact i just filled up today, just heating the water now. For those that have been using it for a while - are they any additives that you have found necessary or if i keep up my 5 gallon water change once a week on my 50 gal should i be fine.

thanks for all the help

sbgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2005, 02:55 PM   #39
sbgreen
Registered Member

UCSB water is what i use, granted, i am on my first reef tank and only 3 weeks into it. i have a few quetions:

I was wondering since the water in SB isnt exactly tropical and a much lower temp than tropical environments, am I going to be lacking important trace elements and the such? I love the free water, in fact i just filled up today, just heating the water now. For those that have been using it for a while - are they any additives that you have found necessary or if i keep up my 5 gallon water change once a week on my 50 gal should i be fine.

thanks for all the help

sbgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2005, 06:41 PM   #40
rehren
Registered Member

refer to my post (and photo) on the first page of this thread.

only thing i added to my tank was kalkwasser mixed into my RO. once or twice i added strontium (to buildup corraline algae).

rehren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2005, 01:30 PM   #41
JHReef
Registered Member

I use Kalk drip and B-ionic 2 part. I've alse been experimenting with Sea Lab 28. It's a trace element supplement block that you dump into the sump or in a filter. Since they (UCSB) filter the water so well, it does lose some trace elements, but nothing you can't easily fix. FWIW, I just dump it in when I do changes and let things settle for a couple of days before I add anything. The oceans are all pretty much the same, so no worries about the difference in water in SB vs. Fiji except temp. It's still way better than Catalina water. HTH

Current Tank Info: 180 gal acrylic reef, dual rear corner overflows, 50 gal sump, TopFathom TF200 skim. NO flour. 80wt., VHO - 320 wt., MH 400wt x2. Zoas,shrooms, rics,LPS,SPS. 20 gal. reef running 3+ years, DIY sump/fuge, new 130wt PC w lunar LED
Unread 05/26/2005, 01:56 PM   #42
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

I use mine straight out of the bucket, don't add a thing. When I add my top off water, I'll alternate between calicum, buffer and trace elements. My corals always seem to perk up when I do a water change so I think it's a good sign and the water is fine.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2005, 09:50 PM   #43
shy07guy
Premium Member

Just FYI you may want to test the water for PO4 ocassionally. I know of at least one time that it was off the charts not saying its not good water just know that it has not always been perfect.

shy07guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2005, 12:59 PM   #44
JHReef
Registered Member

I'm curious if that PO4 spike was after some of those major rains we had this winter/spring? I've gotten so used to the excellent quality of the water, I hardly even check the salinity anymore.

Unread 06/07/2005, 01:07 PM   #45
shy07guy
Premium Member

I can not remember at all but it could have been during the winter after a rain.

shy07guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2005, 01:16 PM   #46
JHReef
Registered Member

Well, probably not a bad idea to test it a little more often anyway.

Unread 07/11/2005, 07:43 PM   #47
Lo0seR
Premium Member

You can take as much from Scripps as you want, all they ask you to do is let them know in advance for large amounts (like tanker amounts) so that they know whats going on. As far as that, take all that you need for your own personal use. It's a nice plus thats for sure for all the reefer people here S.D. .

Lo0seR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2005, 02:06 PM   #48
CamBarr
Registered Member

What about filtration??? Is the water filtered?

Unread 08/02/2005, 02:26 PM   #49
Jim in santa barbara
Registered Member

Quote:
What about filtration??? Is the water filtered?
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim in santa barbara
The water from UCSB is filtered to 20 microns and is pulled from 500 yds out. I avoid using it after heavy rains due to the slough runoff but have never had problems with it.

Its funny how many RC'ers I run into down there.

Stop trying to control everything and just let go.
-Tyler Durden

Current Tank Info: 40 aga zoos, stars, leathers, mated GSM , PC 65's , wet/dry/refugiums 5 - 15 gal frag/test tanks 20 gal FW Amzn 300 gal pond/aquagarden (6 yo feeders) 20 15's to set-up..lots of other various tubs and containers.
Jim in santa barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2005, 09:34 AM   #50
CamBarr
Registered Member

Uv, or chemical??? What about dissolved toxins I can tell you from being in the wholesale side of the industry that Catalina can come in bad.
High PO4 and who knows what else (lb harbor).