Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Avast Marine Works
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/23/2010, 01:08 AM   #1
jlaudiofreak
Registered Member

Diy Skimmer from Avast

Well my mother bought me this kit for xmas from my kids. Justin from Avast was very heplfull and making sure I got the kit in time for xmas.

here is the kit

Got the parts glued together

Here is the skimmer all glued up

Letting all the glue dry , then vinager bath tomorrow. Then it gets wrapped up for me to open .

jlaudiofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2010, 01:17 AM   #2
buy_baff
Registered Member

A friend in our local club built one of these and it skims like a champ.

Unread 12/23/2010, 08:47 AM   #3
harber79
Registered Member

I've been eye-balling this same skimmer! Interested in performance, please keep us updated!

harber79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2010, 09:59 AM   #4
jlaudiofreak
Registered Member

harber79
I will

Unread 12/23/2010, 02:48 PM   #5
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

That's a nice looking skimmer. I watched the assembly video and it all looked easy enough. I too am intested in how well it works.

Is anyone using the self cleaning head for it?

Keep us posted on the operation!

Merry Christmas!
Tim

Current Tank Info: 210 AGA RR, Apex, 3x Kessil A360W & 2x 80W T5s, GEO 618 Ca Rx, BM220 CS2 skimmer, Tunze 6100s, 42" ETSS/AE Tech refugium/sump
hllywd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2010, 01:11 PM   #6
jlaudiofreak
Registered Member

So far I am very happy with this skimmer
Here is the skimmer installed in my temp sump

It does make some very fine bubbles

Here is was I got after only 6 hrs of being on. Just to let everyone know my tank is new and the only thing in my tank is sand and dry base rock . So i was suprised on getting what I got out of the skimmer

Here is my 120 DT

Unread 12/26/2010, 04:15 PM   #7
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

well done!

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Avast Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2010, 11:53 PM   #8
javickrey
Registered Member

Wow that's a killer deal on those. I wish they had those before I bought my octopus cone

javickrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2010, 12:06 AM   #9
Fishamatank
Registered Member

Looks good. I bought a Swabbie from them for my SRO XP skimmer. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase more from Avast, products seem to be top notch as does customer service. Hope they keep it up.

Fishamatank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2010, 10:21 AM   #10
harber79
Registered Member

Looks like a solid setup! Thanks for the follow up!

harber79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2010, 10:49 AM   #11
skh
Registered Member

Hey jlaudiofreak, really nice review, thanks. Can you give us some more details about the volute and the reducer on the PSK-2500? I understand that those pumps can have startup problems unless the volute is symmetrical (so that it doesn't matter which direction the impeller spins). If you have pictures of the volute and the reducer, that would be awesome.

skh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2010, 11:19 AM   #12
jlaudiofreak
Registered Member

When I take the temp sump out and replace it with the new one I will get pictures for you. I have unpluged and pluged the pump in serveral time to see if there was any start up issues and there are none. Seem like Avast has got it right with this pump.

Unread 12/28/2010, 12:19 PM   #13
skh
Registered Member

Awesome, thanks. I found this picture on the Avast website, which seems like it's probably what you have on your pump.
http://www.avastmarine.com/cb/2010/0...sicce-volutes/

Quote:
As part of the upcoming launch of the CS1 Cone Skimmer Kit, we are releasing our newly developed venturi and modified volute for the Sicce PSK-2500 pinwheel pump, which is an optional component of the kit. This custom venturi was designed by us in-house, optimized for the cone body that comes with the kit, and made of polished acrylic. It’s interesting to watch the interaction of the air and water as it mixes upon contact with the pinwheel. Airflow and waterflow details coming soon.

Last edited by skh; 12/28/2010 at 12:32 PM.
Unread 12/28/2010, 12:58 PM   #14
jlaudiofreak
Registered Member

that is the same thing that came with mine

Unread 12/28/2010, 01:03 PM   #15
skh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaudiofreak View Post
that is the same thing that came with mine
Cool, that takes care of the venturi and reducer. But if you'd be willing to post pictures of your volute, that would be awesome.

Unread 12/29/2010, 05:13 PM   #16
skh
Registered Member

From the looks of it, the Avast CS1 is paired with the standard PSK-2500 asymmetrical volute and needle wheel. I guess it's only the venturi/reducer that's custom.
http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/pr...CE-PSK2500-MOD

Unread 12/29/2010, 05:45 PM   #17
jlaudiofreak
Registered Member

SKH
is there a big difference between the needle wheel that came with the pump and the purple needle wheel I have seen for sale for these pumps?

Unread 12/29/2010, 06:51 PM   #18
Gangous
Registered Member

R they cheaper if u build it ?

Gangous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2010, 08:19 PM   #19
jlaudiofreak
Registered Member

Im sure they are cheaper if you build it. Its realy not hard at all It is not hard at all to build plus its nice where your done knowing you put it together

Unread 12/29/2010, 08:59 PM   #20
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

The PSK 2500 is a darn good and very reliable pump if you modify it correctly and don't try and push the pump beyond it's limits.

I would say this pump has more aftermarket accessories than any other pump before it, trying to get just a little more air to skim a bigger tank or fill up a bigger skimmer body has destroyed the reputation of the pump to a large degree.

The white pinwheel we use is actually from Jon Warner's K2 skimmer (original), we bought them a year ago when he changed to the Red Demon and found that it had the right balance of weight, number of pins, size of pins and diameter to accomplish our goal: To create a RELIABLE Sicce pump without the LPH bragging rights. 800LPH is what it pulls and it does so day in and out without start up issues, we matched the skimmer body (7.5" base) and neck (3.75") to the pumps capabilities rather than trying to beef up the pump to put on a larger body skimmer (like the K2). More air, means bigger pins, larger diameter wheel, etc which pushes the pump past it's safe trouble free operating range. AVAST's core philosophy is to provide reasonably priced and reliable equipment, not win SCFH trophies :-)

The only modification done to the volute is to machine out the water intake on the cover, install the air intake and to add the right size reducer to tune the air to the 800LPH mark.

Unread 12/29/2010, 09:44 PM   #21
jlaudiofreak
Registered Member

Dan
Thank you very much I am very happy with the skimmer. The one thing I didnt want was a skimmer that needed to be modded straight out of the box. After reading what you wrote about the pinwheel I intend to stay with the stock white wheel

Unread 12/29/2010, 09:47 PM   #22
jlaudiofreak
Registered Member

Here is a quick video of the skimmer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=TRS9Z8ih-qI

Unread 12/30/2010, 12:22 AM   #23
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Dan
Thank you very much I am very happy with the skimmer. The one thing I didnt want was a skimmer that needed to be modded straight out of the box. After reading what you wrote about the pinwheel I intend to stay with the stock white wheel
I love that you bought a DIY skimmer kit with over 50 parts so you wouldn't have to "mod" it :-)

That video is fantastic, thank you for the kind words

Unread 12/30/2010, 12:50 AM   #24
skh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avast Marine View Post
The PSK 2500 is a darn good and very reliable pump if you modify it correctly and don't try and push the pump beyond it's limits.

I would say this pump has more aftermarket accessories than any other pump before it, trying to get just a little more air to skim a bigger tank or fill up a bigger skimmer body has destroyed the reputation of the pump to a large degree.

The white pinwheel we use is actually from Jon Warner's K2 skimmer (original), we bought them a year ago when he changed to the Red Demon and found that it had the right balance of weight, number of pins, size of pins and diameter to accomplish our goal: To create a RELIABLE Sicce pump without the LPH bragging rights. 800LPH is what it pulls and it does so day in and out without start up issues, we matched the skimmer body (7.5" base) and neck (3.75") to the pumps capabilities rather than trying to beef up the pump to put on a larger body skimmer (like the K2). More air, means bigger pins, larger diameter wheel, etc which pushes the pump past it's safe trouble free operating range. AVAST's core philosophy is to provide reasonably priced and reliable equipment, not win SCFH trophies :-)

The only modification done to the volute is to machine out the water intake on the cover, install the air intake and to add the right size reducer to tune the air to the 800LPH mark.
Hey Dan, thanks for the clarification. 800 lph is a solid air draw -- the same as the ATB 840 with the "mini airstar" PSK 2500, if I'm not mistaken. The only thing I wonder about is the asymmetrical volute, which I understand results in reduced performance whenever the pump starts in the reverse direction. It's not a huge deal, but it's obviously something other manufacturers have seen fit to change with a custom volute (e.g., ATB with mini airstar v1.5 and Tunze with the hydrofoamer). Is that not an issue with your version of the PSK-2500?

Unread 12/30/2010, 12:53 AM   #25
skh
Registered Member

Quote:
SKH
is there a big difference between the needle wheel that came with the pump and the purple needle wheel I have seen for sale for these pumps?
I don't know much about the Avast pinwheel, but I've heard that the purple pinwheel can have startup and wear issues precisely for the reasons Dan has said -- a too large diameter spindle that the PSK 2500 simply is not meant to run. If this version really pulls 800 lph then that seems like more than enough for this size skimmer body (based on comparison to other well-regarded skimmers with similar body/neck diameters and air draw).