Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/08/2013, 06:33 PM   #276
Tek
Mr. Vu

Red bugs normally kill slowly. Are you sure it is just redbugs? And have you positively identified the nudi as a bad one?

I believe a full tab for the 130G, 3/4 for the 90G, and 1/2 for the 65G. Someone else might be able to chime in. It is not very harmful to corals so guesstimates normally work as long as not under dosed. Yes 25% water change and then run carbon until the next does a week later.

Tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2013, 07:10 PM   #277
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdivine View Post
I'm trying to identify this sort of algae pest. It's maroon in color and spreads quickly. Is there anything that will eat this? Thanks
Never seen that before try removing manually also I have read that elevated magnesium levels will kill certain types of algae. Keeping magnesium at 1500 does the trick for some type.
Can you get a close up of it?
Sorry but I think it looks nice even if it has to go lol

LIVE SAND ITS THE CURE........®

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
trueblackpercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2013, 07:11 PM   #278
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terri_ann View Post
Going with Sentinel.........
I never used it all I ever use was intercept and that was years ago but I still have three tabs left just incase

LIVE SAND ITS THE CURE........®

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
trueblackpercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2013, 08:00 AM   #279
cdivine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblackpercula View Post
Never seen that before try removing manually also I have read that elevated magnesium levels will kill certain types of algae. Keeping magnesium at 1500 does the trick for some type.
Can you get a close up of it?
Sorry but I think it looks nice even if it has to go lol
Thank,
After some investigating I believe it's some sort of hydroid. I put some kalk paste one some aread and it seemed to kill it. It will take a long time to get rid of all of it.

cdivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2013, 02:58 AM   #280
terri_ann
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek View Post
Red bugs normally kill slowly. Are you sure it is just redbugs? And have you positively identified the nudi as a bad one?

I believe a full tab for the 130G, 3/4 for the 90G, and 1/2 for the 65G. Someone else might be able to chime in. It is not very harmful to corals so guesstimates normally work as long as not under dosed. Yes 25% water change and then run carbon until the next does a week later.
I crushed the pill and then used a Salifert spoon to count how many spoonfuls there were in the Tab. As my total systems are probably between 250 and 300g (a long stretch), I used just 1 Tab. There were 33 spoonfuls so here's how I divided it: 135g-16 and a smidge spoons, 75/80g system- 10 and a good smidge, and the 50/60g-7 spoons. I hope it works and that I didn't under-dose

No, I haven't positively identified that it was a Nudi but the edges of it was frilly/ruffled looking. It was moving on the frag plug. I'm sure that it wasn't a RB or an isopod. Maybe a flatworm?! It was a dark tan/brown color. For a split second, I would have thought that it could have been a deflated aiptasia but they don't move/walk. I also just flicked it off the plug with a tweezer's. By the time I got back to it, it was dead and shriveled to where I couldn't identify it or take a pic

I've been searching Nudi's and haven't seen a pic yet of what I had. Haven't seen but one pic of a flatworm and, it didn't look like that one. Do Flatworms all look the same or are there different/several varieties?

Would a Flatworm treatment be a good option after finishing with the Sentinel? My SPS's have always had great polyp extension and now there is hardly any, some not showing any PE at all. The Green Slimer and ORA Red Planet are almost to where the polyp is gone/cannot see it, almost If you think the flatworm treatment might be in order, can I make that determination by seeing either good PE or no change after this Sentinel treatment...if I don't see RB's ? How long does it normally take for the PE after RB treatment?

If yes on the Flatworm Treatment, what is used(in tank), how much, etc!

You have been so helpful to me Tek that I can't thank you enough!

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed 40B Anemone 5' raceway frag tank
terri_ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2013, 04:00 AM   #281
terri_ann
Registered Member

The color of this looks identical to what I saw/had. However, I cannot say if it was a Nudi positively ;9(

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/galler....php?i=405&c=6
This is a zoa eating Nudi. Since I found the one on a zoa plug, am I safe to say that this is it? I have TONS of zoas.....YIKES!!!

It would be the sh*its if I had RB, AEFW and Zoa eating Nudi's... OMG :9(

Unread 12/10/2013, 11:24 AM   #282
Tek
Mr. Vu

PE ext improves within days after the treatment. My friends red planet was almost white but has since started to get color again and PE is everywhere. You will be able to visually see the red bugs not on the corals after treatment as they will fall off. The consecutive treatments are to kill ones that hatch after. The eggs are protected and hard to kill.

This stuff is strong per dose but surprising easy on other inhabitants since it targets a particular body function which only certain crustaceans have.

There are different types of flatworms. I have a non coral eating variety which my wrasses eats. Search on google images for AEFW and you will get good pics of the bad ones and how to identify their coral bite marks.

I have the "SPS bug" and very addicted. Glad I can help a fellow reefer. I got red bugs 10 years ago when I had my first SPS and did not know much about pest. It scared me enough to stay away from SPS until last year. Now it is all I want to keep.

Unread 12/10/2013, 11:34 AM   #283
Tek
Mr. Vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by terri_ann View Post
The color of this looks identical to what I saw/had. However, I cannot say if it was a Nudi positively ;9(

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/galler....php?i=405&c=6
This is a zoa eating Nudi. Since I found the one on a zoa plug, am I safe to say that this is it? I have TONS of zoas.....YIKES!!!

It would be the sh*its if I had RB, AEFW and Zoa eating Nudi's... OMG :9(
Yikes! I have had zoa eating nudis. You can see them on zoas but look closely. They camouflage into the color of the polyp they are eating. Sometimes they roam around on rocks to fins more. I never treated mine but I had a large blue linkia and it seemed to clear them out of my tank. One day it went over all of my zoas since I kept them in one corner. I never saw another nudi from that day and started to dip new addtions.

AEFW may be harder to treat. I have no experience treating those but another friend has been battling it for over a year.
Make sure you properly identify it as being AEFW. Others here have had success.

Unread 12/11/2013, 09:26 PM   #284
terri_ann
Registered Member

Quote:
PE ext improves within days after the treatment. My friends red planet was almost white but has since started to get color again and PE is everywhere. You will be able to visually see the red bugs not on the corals after treatment as they will fall off. The consecutive treatments are to kill ones that hatch after. The eggs are protected and hard to kill.

This stuff is strong per dose but surprising easy on other inhabitants since it targets a particular body function which only certain crustaceans have.

There are different types of flatworms. I have a non coral eating variety which my wrasses eats. Search on google images for AEFW and you will get good pics of the bad ones and how to identify their coral bite marks.

I have the "SPS bug" and very addicted. Glad I can help a fellow reefer. I got red bugs 10 years ago when I had my first SPS and did not know much about pest. It scared me enough to stay away from SPS until last year. Now it is all I want to keep.
17 SPS's are severely affected. I removed them from the 135g to the 40B because I will be able to better observe and care for them. These 17 may be lost as that's how bad they are. No or very little polyp extension, white coloration, brown out and tissue loss. Makes me sick as 3/4ths are high dollar sticks

I did a test of the ORA and YZ Red Planets...Lugul's for 5 minutes and then blasted them. I didn't find any flatworms, nudi's or eggs. That's good and I didn't see any signs on the other 15 SPS's. I didn't realize that RB's could reek so much havoc on them!

Stick keepers are great! I have been keeping them for about 5 years. I really like Milli's because of the polyps...I like movement in the tanks! I had just received in late September 13 new SPS's. Many of the 17 are those I dropped about a grand on them so......... But, I try to look on the positive side of things...things could be worse Over the years, I have had 2 tank crashes That's the worst!! Think I need to get a really good magnifying glass as my eye's just aren't what they used to be

I will Google AEFW's. Thanks again!

Unread 12/12/2013, 01:48 AM   #285
Tek
Mr. Vu

Sorry to hear. It went smoothly when we dosed 3 treatments these past few weeks and did not see any issues with multiple types of corals.

It must have been the second dose in succession. I would have done a water change and ran carbon before dosing again.

Unread 12/12/2013, 03:10 PM   #286
ThorEffex
Registered Member

Hello, how would you guys go about getting rid of those tube snails with the mucus lines? I have a full blown infestation and need help. I have mixed reef with a couple fish

ThorEffex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2013, 01:05 AM   #287
terri_ann
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear. It went smoothly when we dosed 3 treatments these past few weeks and did not see any issues with multiple types of corals.

It must have been the second dose in succession. I would have done a water change and ran carbon before dosing again.
No, the SPS's were in that bad of shape before starting treatment. Sorry if I was unclear. When I transferred them to the 40B, I was able to see how bad of shape they are in. I think I'm going to have to move the encrusted Green Slimer to the 40B also. I see a lot of white on a main/primary branch which hasn't changed today:9(

I still have some crabs alive. Also saw an amphipod and a mini brittle star alive. As I said, I don't think the second dose/treatment killed everything as one can tell just by having crabs, amphipod, etc alive. Anyone who has RB's should definitely do the recommended 3 treatments of Sentinel if my tanks are any indication Six Tabs of the Sentinel was almost $90. I may do 4 treatments just as a precaution since the first seemed rather ineffective......

Unread 12/18/2013, 09:00 AM   #288
Andyf30
Registered Member

Want to use Sentinel to get rid of my Red Bugs. Any suggestions as to how much the dosage should be and what equipment I should turn off, add carbon, etc. Also would a clam be affected at all by the Sentinel? I have a 4 inch derasa in my tank that would make me really sad to lose. No shrimp, and few hermits in my tank so no worries there. Just need to know the dosage, equipment instructions, and the clam question.

Thanks,
Andy

Unread 12/19/2013, 06:49 PM   #289
Tek
Mr. Vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyf30 View Post
Want to use Sentinel to get rid of my Red Bugs. Any suggestions as to how much the dosage should be and what equipment I should turn off, add carbon, etc. Also would a clam be affected at all by the Sentinel? I have a 4 inch derasa in my tank that would make me really sad to lose. No shrimp, and few hermits in my tank so no worries there. Just need to know the dosage, equipment instructions, and the clam question.

Thanks,
Andy

Have you read through the thread or the other one? A few users mentioned clams were fine.

Dosage ranged from 1 23g tablet for 100G-300G with good results. Remove all carbon, let anything with water run (ie all pumps and skimmer on low/no air bubbles. I am not sure about UV. Medicate for 10-12 hours and then do a 25% WC. Run carbon for a week until the next dosage. Repeat for a total of 3 times.

Unread 12/20/2013, 10:45 PM   #290
Andyf30
Registered Member

I figured they were just wanted to confirm. Ok sounds good to me. So for a 50 gallon I'm assuming 11.5g is appropriate.

Unread 12/21/2013, 03:15 AM   #291
Tek
Mr. Vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyf30 View Post
I figured they were just wanted to confirm. Ok sounds good to me. So for a 50 gallon I'm assuming 11.5g is appropriate.
That should be more than enough. Make sure to have enough for 3 treatments spread out a week apart.

Unread 12/21/2013, 01:35 PM   #292
Andyf30
Registered Member

First treatment is under way. Unplugged my carbon reactor, and put the airline for the skimmer underwater. Added roughly 11.5g of Sentinel. Here goes nothing. I have enough for 2 more treatments.

Unread 12/21/2013, 02:19 PM   #293
reefwiser
Registered Member

https://www.microryza.com/projects/t...ating-flatworm

September 23rd,2017 11 am till 3pm
Saint Thomas Fellowship hall,9616 Westport Road,Louisvi
reefwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2013, 01:23 AM   #294
Andyf30
Registered Member

Just did my water change! I had the flashlight on my phone on, and I have one piece of stag in my tank that is essentially my canary in the coal mine for red bugs. They are glued to this thing and it is always the first thing to go when they show up. This morning they were swarming it and there were probably hundreds of red bugs on this one 3 inch piece of stag. Now with the flashlight, I see none! I think the treatment worked!

Unread 12/22/2013, 09:56 AM   #295
fishdoc11
catch and release

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwiser View Post
Here you go:
AEFW life cycle research project

Chris

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon mixed reef
fishdoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2013, 10:15 AM   #296
Crackem
Registered Member

I'm confused on which product to use. The website I went to has interceptor spectrum and it also has sentinal spectrum. I know people use the large pill for large dogs, but they also sell both products in large, medium, small, and very small. My total water volume is between 50-60 gallons.

So which product should I buy? Interceptor spectrum or sentinal spectrum? Also which size for 50-60 total volume.

I wish I could just use bayer and dip but some of my infected corals are encrusted on large live rocks.

Unread 12/31/2013, 03:14 PM   #297
terri_ann
Registered Member

You could use either. For 50-60g, a half pill for large dogs should take care of it. I had encrusting corals and they took a beating trying to get them off the rock :9( Good luck!

Unread 12/31/2013, 05:03 PM   #298
Crackem
Registered Member

I don't plan on removing any corals.

Unread 01/02/2014, 06:26 AM   #299
fishdoc11
catch and release

I don't have any experience with Sentinel treating a tank (sounds like many people have though) but it does have a growth regulator aimed at fleas that Interceptor does not called lufenuron. Intercetor went off the market several years ago for reasons I won't mention here. I talk to Novartis reps often and they honestly don't know if Interceptor will ever be made again.

hth, Chris

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon mixed reef
fishdoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2014, 04:26 PM   #300
dorado_bite
Registered Member

Following along

dorado_bite is offline   Reply With Quote