Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/27/2017, 08:24 AM   #51
imjdoggie
Registered Member

^^thanks for the info, appreciate that...they were both same size and 3 weeks later the one was still getting after the other. He was in really bad shape half of tail missing fins on top missing. I honestly didn't think he was going to make it another hour, maybe I was a little impatient but as I said I really felt he was going to kill him. As you can tell by how fast I added fish patience is not one of my best qualities................not a good combo with this hobby I know but I'm trying lol.

imjdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2017, 08:24 AM   #52
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Congrats to you and pictures look great. I am just a beginner but it seems that you are going super fast. Do you even know if your tank cycled at all...? Do you know if the ammonia can be safely converted to nitrites? Also, from everything I have read it's best to add fish slowly as to not get bio overload but again....I'm just a beginner. The only thing I have realized is that everyone has a different experience..you can follow things to a T and might get different results than others.

I might suggest starting your own thread and asking for advice on what you have done so far regarding the fish/livestock. That's the only thing I really worry about...these are live animals and our pets and I want to do whatever is possible to avoid injury and stress for them.

I like your clownfish and the shrimp btw...super cute.

Jenyphur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2017, 08:30 AM   #53
imjdoggie
Registered Member

^^^^didn't mean to hijack your thread and make this about me I was just surprised and excited to see someone at the same stage as myself. I admire you for starting this and appreciate you starting this. Everything seems to be testing well so far.......

Unread 03/27/2017, 08:33 AM   #54
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjdoggie View Post
^^^^didn't mean to hijack your thread and make this about me I was just surprised and excited to see someone at the same stage as myself. I admire you for starting this and appreciate you starting this. Everything seems to be testing well so far.......
Oh no worries...I didn't think you hijacked it. I just know that you might get more responses from people that have more experience than I do. It seems like your tank is going well so far and that is awesome....I'm a little envious actually. Hopefully this weekend I will have some fish in there...whoohoo!

Jen

Unread 03/27/2017, 08:37 AM   #55
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritten View Post
You'll get used to the putty fast. Coralline algea will grow on the putty as well as the rocks and after you start adding corals it won't be long until they hide it. Do you have a stocking list? Its so fun to follow along with new tanks because most of us remember the excitement and patience required on our own start ups .
Funny you posted this, I was just researching how to remove it from rock. I seriously hate the look but I'm sure it will be fine in a few months. Again..patience. My boyfriend told me this is the lesson I am supposed to be learning with my new hobby. I agree...we are so used to instant gratification these days.

My stocking list at this time is this:

2 ocellaris clownfish
1 yellow watchman goby
1 candy pistol shrimp (hoping they will become buddies)
1 firefish

CUC

Pretty boring and basic but I am trying to go with the tried and true fish and corals first so I get some 'wins' under my belt. I have a LOT to learn about corals and want to eventually get some softies and easy LPS corals.

Unread 03/27/2017, 09:13 AM   #56
Ritten
Registered Member

Fun list!

Ritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 10:00 PM   #57
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Ok, so I think Friday will be the big day. My ammonia and nitrites are both at 0 and just did a big water change to hopefully get the nitrates down as well. I am getting some diatoms on my rock and things are progressing.

If all things still look good on Friday, I am taking the plunge and going to get my 2 clowns. Picked up their food today so I am ready to go.

Unread 03/30/2017, 07:10 AM   #58
imjdoggie
Registered Member

Cant wait to hear if you take the plunge lol AND see pics.........

Unread 03/30/2017, 07:24 AM   #59
TOOMANYFISH
Registered Member

Doit lol
Lots of pictures too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOOMANYFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 08:08 AM   #60
Jenyphur
Registered Member

A few things to do before tomorrow....probably need one more decent size water change as my nitrates are still pretty high. They were at about 100, now they are at about 30.

My ATO arrived yesterday so need to install that today. Also, now that I have pretty much all the parts, I am going to get my dj power strip controller installed and move my shelf up a bit in my cabinet...going to require a little help from my BF for that one.

Went to a new fish store in town (a little out of the way for me) but totally worth it. I am in LOVE with some of their modern tank setups. Seriously...in love. I already know that I will be upgrading this cube at some point to one of their pieces. But that's a year or so down the line. The store was immaculate and the owner was so friendly and they had some amazing corals.

I'll post some pics next.

Unread 03/30/2017, 08:10 AM   #61
Jenyphur
Registered Member

I have to have this some day.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Unread 03/30/2017, 08:11 AM   #62
Jenyphur
Registered Member

My ATO and power bar need to get installed today...20170330_070339.jpg20170330_070351.jpg

Unread 03/30/2017, 11:10 PM   #63
rajilnaja
Registered Member

Didn't want to hijack the other thread. I have another par picture around here somewhere. And ignore the messy full tank picture.

rajilnaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 04:35 PM   #64
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Awesome!!!! Thanks so much!!!

Unread 04/02/2017, 07:48 PM   #65
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Lots to update on! Yesterday...April Fools Day I pulled the trigger and bought the my first fish, a few corals and some CUC. To be honest, I was a bit overwhelmed and excited when buying the corals..it's all kind of a blur.

I finished installing the ATO (super simple setup) and also the power bar and organized all the cords up and away so that I can still use the shelf.

The corals are NOT in their final spots, they are just places now so I can observe them and see how they are doing.

The clowns seem to be doing ok...they seemed to feed better last night, today they were a bit more picky about the food and spit out quit a few pieces. Not sure what that's all about.

The cleaner shrimp is hiding in the back but he did come out for a few minutes when I was feeding.

The snails are doing a great job on the diatoms...those guys are actually pretty cool.

Here are a few pics, please ignore the ugly grey epoxy putty. My big rock split apart when I was trying to drill a hole in it (which I saw someone do on a video and though it would be a cool idea). I will cover those up soon with some neat corals once I figure out what the hell I am doing.

The corals are doing pretty good so far, most are coming out and seem to be ok but again, I have no idea really what to look for...this is the scariest part for me.

I actually had a nightmare last night about my tank...in my dream I woke up to find a yellow tang and a coral beauty angel in my tank and all the sand pushed to one side. Not really sure what that was all about. I was over at my b/f house so I got up at 5am and went home to check on everything. I swear I am as nervous as when I brought my kids home the first time many years ago. LOL

Anyways, I'll post the pics next.

Unread 04/02/2017, 07:51 PM   #66
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Here are a few pics as described above.

Unread 04/02/2017, 07:54 PM   #67
TOOMANYFISH
Registered Member

Very nice , just be careful with palys and zoas ( most softies)on your main rock. They can take over

Unread 04/02/2017, 07:56 PM   #68
TOOMANYFISH
Registered Member

Your going to see time ( or not lol ) fly by and all you did was take a peak at what was going on inside the tank lol

Unread 04/02/2017, 08:01 PM   #69
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Yes, that's why nothing is really attached anywhere right now...I have to figure some things out regarding placement, etc.

Now is the exciting part...I can start to see how the corals are really the centerpiece of the tank and the fish are just the accessories. They are really cute though.

Unread 04/02/2017, 08:03 PM   #70
TOOMANYFISH
Registered Member

I only saw turbo snails in there. Did you get anything else?

Unread 04/02/2017, 08:05 PM   #71
Jenyphur
Registered Member

3 turbo snails and 3 ______ snails that dig into the sand. Not sure of the name but as soon as we put them in, the flipped themselves over and went down under the sand. Do you know what they are by chance?

Unread 04/02/2017, 08:05 PM   #72
TOOMANYFISH
Registered Member

Nasarius

Unread 04/02/2017, 08:07 PM   #73
TOOMANYFISH
Registered Member

They eat leftovers, not algae. Get some cerith snails, they're good all around snail that likes diatoms ( brown stuff on your sand and rocks )

Unread 04/02/2017, 08:07 PM   #74
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Great..thanks. I like that I don't see them lol. Not a huge fan of snails in general. The cleaner shrimp "Pepe" is hanging out in the back a lot.

Unread 04/02/2017, 08:12 PM   #75
Jenyphur
Registered Member

I am looking for some now...how many do you think?