Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/20/2018, 02:29 PM   #1
icliao
Registered Member

Holiday emergency. Please help

I had my tank ran fallow since March 5th and added 5 black mollies on May 16 after going fallow for 74 days. It is only the 5th day of the black molly test. I lost one of the molly during my time away and had no idea when or how it died. The rest of the mollies appears to be clear of any disease and is health and eating. Since the dead molly has been stripped to its bones so there is no way of telling how it died. I am leaving for 3 weeks vacation on June 9th so I don’t know how to proceed. Can the molly died of velvet or Brook within day 5 of introduction while 4 others show no symptoms?

icliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2018, 01:32 AM   #2
Dsekula
Registered Member

If your sure the black mollys weren't preexposed to marine illness I'd say the chance of 4 showing no signs of illness would be slim. This is just my opinion but the factors I consider are;
1- that the fallow periods listed online are for the most resilient strains, you may have one of these but there is also I decent chance ime that you have a normal strain that is already dead.
2- if the one molly died of any of these parasite type illnesses the other fish most likely nibbled on the dead fish (since you stated it was all bones) if so they have a high risk of coming in direct contact with the infestation increasing their chances of getting infected even more.
3- a compleatly unimmune animal will almost always show some symptoms of the parasite and usually die. This is just my experience with aquaculture speciments in a system that I did not realize contained such a parasite since noone else had shown symptoms. But there's also historic examples of plagues in the human race to support this if your remember some history lessons.

If you want to be extra safe I'd try a few more mollies but I'd personally be willing to roll the dice on this bet if I we're my current stock etc as long as you know they weren't already preexposed to marine illness. Just my opinion, if your in doubt try more mollies and monitor them this time.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2018, 01:17 AM   #3
Louis Z
Registered Member

Were these mollies acclimated to sal or did you go straight from freshwater . Yes the tolerate salt but need acclimation going to fulll strength seawater from completely freshwater

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote