Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/26/2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Fishareawesome
Registered Member

Candy Cane Coral suddenly dying

Howdy All,

So here's that stats: Tank is 180 gallon, up for about 6 months, one Marine betta (1.5" little cutie), some mushrooms and zoa/palys, and a handful of LPS included a most beloved Candy Cane. We've had the Candy cane for about 2 months and was really thriving: feeding response nightly, growing quickly, two heads splitting, etc, etc.

Then suddenly, in the course of like 12-24 hours it's srinking so much that I can see a little bit of exposed skeleton in the middle.

Everybody else seems unaffected expect I have notice one small zoa colony also retracted and hasn't really come back open fully. Everyone else including some hidden cup corals, acans, favia, ricordea's, etc all happy go lucky.

Here's the one catch: About a week ago winter arrived and the house got cold when I was out of town for a night and the temp dropped from about 78 to about 69 because I didn't have the furnance on auto. oops.

how likely is this the cause and anything I can do??

ph: 8.2
SG: 1.024
Amm: 0.0
Nitrites: 0.0
kH: 10
Ca: 450-550
Mg: 1400+

Na: 0-.5
Phospates: .5 (I know, I know, working on it but it's always been that high)

current temps: 76-78

any thoughts?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Candy Cane 20131014.jpg (89.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Candy Cane 20131026.jpg (66.0 KB, 41 views)
Fishareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2013, 03:01 PM   #2
Fishareawesome
Registered Member

The first pic was taken about a week ago and it looked just like that until overnight it started collapsing. At first, only 1 head was retracted, then 3, then all 6...

Unread 10/26/2013, 05:01 PM   #3
schatzi
Professional amateur

how many days has it looked that way? My candy cane looks great most of the time but every few weeks or month or so it has a day or two where it looks shriveled. I don't know if this is normal but mine has always bounced back and it's done it several times.

Unread 10/26/2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Fishareawesome
Registered Member

about 2 days now

Current Tank Info: 180 Gal FOLWR+, 29gal freshwater 1 pearl gourami 1 b-nose long finned pleco 2 ottos 2 cory cats 3 glass cats 6 neon tetras 1 cherry shrimp 1 banded shrimp 2 alge shrimp 3 assasin snails