Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/28/2017, 06:55 PM   #2176
Reefpuck
Registered Member

Awesome looking tank! How's your damsel with the other fish?

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2017, 09:08 PM   #2177
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefpuck View Post
Awesome looking tank! How's your damsel with the other fish?
Thanks, the Springeri Damsels are great. Not aggressive.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2017, 04:02 PM   #2178
biecacka
Registered Member

Dennis why are you no longer using the masterflex?

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2017, 05:35 PM   #2179
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Dennis why are you no longer using the masterflex?

Corey
I used that on my old calcium reactor setup on my previous tank. This is all new.
I don't have room in my stand for one of those big honkin things.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 10/31/2017, 06:20 PM   #2180
biecacka
Registered Member

I know it was on your previous set up, just thought you might carry it over. Which pump are you using now?

Corey

Unread 10/31/2017, 06:50 PM   #2181
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
I know it was on your previous set up, just thought you might carry it over. Which pump are you using now?

Corey
Just a little sicce for now.

Unread 11/09/2017, 09:16 AM   #2182
biecacka
Registered Member

Dennis, in the past I know you had some spreadsheet or program you were using to track your water parameters. If I recall correctly ppl could log in and see them maybe?? I don't remember for sure.
What program is that? Do you still use it, like it?

Corey

Unread 11/09/2017, 09:49 AM   #2183
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Dennis, in the past I know you had some spreadsheet or program you were using to track your water parameters. If I recall correctly ppl could log in and see them maybe?? I don't remember for sure.
What program is that? Do you still use it, like it?

Corey
Yes, I use AquaticLog.
The website as well as the iphone app.
I need to do some serious updating as far as my coral collection and stuff though.

http://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/d2mini/8

Unread 11/10/2017, 03:04 PM   #2184
pitbullceasar
Registered Member

So what is your opinion after all this on the Triton method? Only reason I ask is I will be starting my 200 gallon build this winter and was contemplating the Triton method.

pitbullceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 03:22 PM   #2185
biecacka
Registered Member

I don't think he uses is anymore.....

Corey

Unread 11/10/2017, 03:52 PM   #2186
pitbullceasar
Registered Member

I know he doesn’t but was still wondering his personal opinion on it meaning is he done with it all together and prefers the old school Berlin method?

Unread 11/10/2017, 05:37 PM   #2187
biecacka
Registered Member

Fair enough. I just wasn't sure if you were aware he be stopped it, that's all.
I'll pull my nose from others business

Corey

Unread 11/10/2017, 07:51 PM   #2188
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbullceasar View Post
So what is your opinion after all this on the Triton method? Only reason I ask is I will be starting my 200 gallon build this winter and was contemplating the Triton method.
It works and it's easy but I feel like it's less forgiving to mistakes.
But no different than any of the new "systems" that are out, like aquaforest, zeo, red sea, etc.
I guess after using it I'm not sure I see the advantage over just a standard Berlin style system with a calcium reactor.
I still like to periodically send in the ICP test though.

Unread 11/10/2017, 08:18 PM   #2189
pitbullceasar
Registered Member

Thanks Dennis that really helps me in deciding which direction I’ll go. A buddy of mine had his 200 DD lose a seal after years of use so he sold it to me with the stand for $200 so I jumped on and am in the process of stripping it and resealing it. Awesome thread keep it up!

Unread 11/10/2017, 08:21 PM   #2190
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbullceasar View Post
Thanks Dennis that really helps me in deciding which direction I’ll go. A buddy of mine had his 200 DD lose a seal after years of use so he sold it to me with the stand for $200 so I jumped on and am in the process of stripping it and resealing it. Awesome thread keep it up!
You're welcome. Good luck!

Unread 11/11/2017, 03:46 PM   #2191
Bpb
Registered Member

Where did you find this fitting circled in red. I️ have a geo reactor also and want to switch to rigid airline tubing, but mine came with a barb fitting here for soft airline tube. I’d like to swap that piece for a push connect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 06:14 PM   #2192
Misled
RC Mod

That looks like two fittings. The one on the left is a guest fitting screwed into the right. The right is an adaptor for size.

Unread 11/11/2017, 07:26 PM   #2193
Bpb
Registered Member

I’ll have to pull the barb fitting and take it to the hardware store and see if I can find something that will fit. It’s so small I don’t see many male fittings at Lowe’s that size. They have guest fittings there but theyre all much bigger than this one on the male side

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 08:48 PM   #2194
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post

Where did you find this fitting circled in red. I️ have a geo reactor also and want to switch to rigid airline tubing, but mine came with a barb fitting here for soft airline tube. I’d like to swap that piece for a push connect

The circled fittings came on the reactor.

Unread 11/12/2017, 05:09 AM   #2195
Jeramirez85
Registered Member

Ion from Houston and have seen some of your previous tank builds before. Awsome build setup you got there like always a lot of thorough planning involved.

Jeramirez85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 08:39 AM   #2196
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeramirez85 View Post
Ion from Houston and have seen some of your previous tank builds before. Awsome build setup you got there like always a lot of thorough planning involved.
Thanks

Unread 11/13/2017, 09:32 PM   #2197
miston
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
It works and it's easy but I feel like it's less forgiving to mistakes.
But no different than any of the new "systems" that are out, like aquaforest, zeo, red sea, etc.
I guess after using it I'm not sure I see the advantage over just a standard Berlin style system with a calcium reactor.
I still like to periodically send in the ICP test though.
Wonderful build! Very inspiring!

I read this thread over the weekend because I recently learned about the Triton method. The idea that I could successfully run a tank without water changes and have someone else do the bulk of the water testing was EXTREMELY EXCITING.

Thus I was extremely disappointed when you abandoned the Triton method after less than a year, about the time a tank starts to get established.

Do you really think it works? I am abandoning the idea of Triton after reading your thread in its entirety.

miston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 09:45 PM   #2198
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miston View Post
Wonderful build! Very inspiring!

I read this thread over the weekend because I recently learned about the Triton method. The idea that I could successfully run a tank without water changes and have someone else do the bulk of the water testing was EXTREMELY EXCITING.

Thus I was extremely disappointed when you abandoned the Triton method after less than a year, about the time a tank starts to get established.

Do you really think it works? I am abandoning the idea of Triton after reading your thread in its entirety.

Thanks!

It works fine.
I️ guess for me I️ just didn’t see the point. Other than not having to do water changes I️ didn’t see an advantage. And a simple mistake like letting my nutrients get too low had some nasty results.
I️ felt I️ was just as happy running the old school Berlin method with refugium, calcium reactor and daily auto water changes.

Unread 11/13/2017, 10:05 PM   #2199
saf1
Registered Member

And to follow-up a bit what D2Mini said above, the Triton method does work. In fact another good read would be to search for GlennF's 1500 liter mixed reef (I think that is it). It is pretty lengthy and informative.

There are many ways to skin the cat (figure of speech, please don't call PETA ). Just remember it is a hobby and some people like to keep it simple, some complex, and some middle of the road. I've always been of the mindset with D2's threads that he pays a lot of attention to detail, likes to automate, but more importantly, pays attention to the pulse of his tank and lets that guide his next step. In the end it falls back to the Berlin system with gadgets to support his inner-technology-reef-geekiness In all seriousness I think the Berlin or similar systems do well but it doesn't mean there are not other ways. Heck, people run long term successful tanks without skimmers

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 08:20 AM   #2200
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
And to follow-up a bit what D2Mini said above, the Triton method does work. In fact another good read would be to search for GlennF's 1500 liter mixed reef (I think that is it). It is pretty lengthy and informative.

There are many ways to skin the cat (figure of speech, please don't call PETA ). Just remember it is a hobby and some people like to keep it simple, some complex, and some middle of the road. I've always been of the mindset with D2's threads that he pays a lot of attention to detail, likes to automate, but more importantly, pays attention to the pulse of his tank and lets that guide his next step. In the end it falls back to the Berlin system with gadgets to support his inner-technology-reef-geekiness In all seriousness I think the Berlin or similar systems do well but it doesn't mean there are not other ways. Heck, people run long term successful tanks without skimmers
Thank you, very well put. And any "gadgets" are just to help automate things or for the health of the tank. Never for the sake of just having gadgets.
For instance the CaRx adds more than just Alk and Calc, compared to two-part dosing. So the reactor is being used in place of a doser. The only additional piece of equipment is I'm now using the doser to perform my daily automatic water changes.

I've been asked this question A LOT this year, and I have absolutely nothing against Triton or their "method", and I still use their ICP tests. In fact I completely agree with the whole basis of the Triton Method which is using a refugium for natural filtration along with a skimmer and replicating NSW as closely as possible. That's what attracted me to it in the first place, not so much the water change thing. So the only real difference between what I'm doing now vs Triton is that I'm using the reactor instead of dosing their elements, and nothing is being dosed to feed the macro algae.