Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2012, 03:49 PM   #151
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBJones View Post
Peter, Shawn, Dave, Drago, Steve, and all the members of this community,

This thread has consumed much of my free time for the last month and a half as I endeavored to read every word. Much deserving praise has been lavished on you, Peter, the team you have assembled, and the incredible community created in this thread; every word well deserved. I would echo the sentiments expressed by so many as I cannot express them as eloquently. I would, however, like to speak on the two aspects of this build that have touched me the most.

First, your performance as the CEO of this project has been astounding. When I began reading the thread I had my doubts about the outcome. You had the foresight to know what you did not know and to outsource much of the work, but you still lacked the knowledge of whom to hire to assemble the best team. I was concerned you were unwittingly setting yourself up for failure. But your continued insistence on gaining knowledge and creating best practices led to the assembly of a truly world class team, which in turn led the creation of a world class tank. Well done! To me, this thread has been as much about building an aquarium as about how to be an effective leader. Thank you.

Second, your insistence on best practices and not current trends is worthy of applause. I have been in this hobby a long time and watched a number of individuals (myself included) chase the latest and greatest trend. Often times those trends are created by marketing hype that belies the lack of scientific foundation for the claims. Your insistence on the scientific principles behind every piece of equipment and maintenance philosophy is something we could all benefit by adopting. It is easy to believe that money and the most expensive equipment will create a flourishing tank, but hard to remember that a properly designed and maintained system can be much more effective.

I am sad to have caught up with the thread as it means I must now wait for the updates in real time. However, I am inspired by the work of the entire team and have already changed a number of features of my next tank as a result. I look forward to seeing what the future holds for this tank.
Jason, I am always humbled when someone has the fortitude to join this community by plodding through the long history of this build. I/we all thank you for your persistence and your praise. There will be continuing updates so stay tuned........ However I liken your experience to the recent trend for folks to skip a real time TV series in order to wait for the DVDs to come out so they can go on a viewing binge without any commercials. In that vein i do recommend using the website (petersfishtank) and following up on either the best practices or the specifications links for access to the worthwhile science behind this build.

Peter

Current Tank Info: SW mixed reef 1350 gal in progress
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2012, 04:23 PM   #152
Elliott
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Elliott, That is incredible. Are you sure you don't have a Delorean to go with it?

Seriously that's great work. I like that you can feed often. I'm convinced that its better for all the life in the tank.

Well done.

Peter
thanks Peter, yes you can feed as often as you want, even while out in the Delorean

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2012, 05:51 PM   #153
Briney Dave
Registered Member

Peter, thanks again so very much for sharing all of this with us! I was still on the fence about LED lighting but after seeing the amazing results you have been able to produce there is little doubt about the "best practice".

Now all I have to do is fine a mega grant for a poor teacher LOL

My real question(s) are about how you used the "mud" in your mangrove system: did you use it straight up or mix it. And I really want to create a tangle of roots but still not have a good way to mount the trees to create the long root growth without the trees falling over all the time. Any suggestions?

My goal is to create a mangrove micro-environment for the students to study but any nutrients that are taken out of the system a nice bonus

Briney Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2012, 08:33 PM   #154
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaheda View Post
Your tank is looking amazingly beautifull. You forgot to show us your Bentley pics.
Hopefully Dave M's advice works......

Peter

Unread 02/14/2012, 08:34 PM   #155
psusocr
Registered Member

Any chance I can have that?

Current Tank Info: Custom 300 in-wall mixed reef, SRO Diablo DCRS EXT 250 Skimmer ,LED's with 6' VHO Actinics, Custom fuge, (2)Tunze 6105's (2)Tunze 6095's on Tunze 7095 controller, MRC CR-4 Dual, ATO & Aquacontroller III
psusocr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2012, 08:42 PM   #156
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briney Dave View Post
Peter, thanks again so very much for sharing all of this with us! I was still on the fence about LED lighting but after seeing the amazing results you have been able to produce there is little doubt about the "best practice".

My real question(s) are about how you used the "mud" in your mangrove system: did you use it straight up or mix it. And I really want to create a tangle of roots but still not have a good way to mount the trees to create the long root growth without the trees falling over all the time. Any suggestions?

My goal is to create a mangrove micro-environment for the students to study but any nutrients that are taken out of the system a nice bonus
The Miracle Mud was used straight out of the bag. Mr. Wilson will probably offer some advice on how to plant to get the root growth you want. We tried after the fact without success but the trees are doing extremely well just in the mud......

Peter

Unread 02/14/2012, 09:14 PM   #157
Robb in Austin
Registered Member

That sedan is SEXY!

Robb in Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2012, 02:06 AM   #158
zaheda
Registered Member

Wow, thats a really cool car Peter.

zaheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2012, 08:33 AM   #159
JasonBJones
Registered Member

Peter,

I was just wondering if there were any plans for Steve to share information on this thread regarding his methodology, the reasons behind it, and the changes he has made to your tank? I know I have benefited tremendously from the other members of the team sharing information, and I am very interested in learning from Steve as well.

Thanks.

JasonBJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2012, 01:23 PM   #160
Briney Dave
Registered Member

thanks for the knowledge sir!

Unread 02/16/2012, 07:41 AM   #161
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Hopefully Dave M's advice works......

Peter

Those are nice cars but money can buy.
But your tank is exceptional.
Peter. You are the man.

chingchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2012, 08:16 AM   #162
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
Hi Peter,

Here is my DIY auto feeder, capable of delivering frozen and liquid food anytime and for an extended time, all off the shelf parts, controlled by my Apex and very reliable.

1. In fridge sump consisting of an open and upright 4" pvc pipe standing a bit higher than my other sumps so it won't ever overflow, located just before my return pump

2. Hole drilled from the freezer compartment to the cooler compartment to accept a pvc pipe for delivery of frozen food to the 4" pvc sump. I make my own food consisting of various other frozen foods but mostly mysis, reefroids and garlic.

3. Rotating food bin that drops frozen food into the pvc pipe for delivery

4. Small hair dryer (green in picture) that turns on for 1 minute, directed down the shoot, so food does not stick to side walls of pvc food holders.

5. Liquid food in cooler dispensed into 4" sump via peristaltic pumps. I'm using Reef Nutrition products, combining oyster and rotifeast into one bottle, the other is phytofeast. I checked with Reef Nutrition, they said one can combine products except for phytofeast due to ph.
Elliot you win the creativity award for installing a hair dryer in the freezer. Combining two ways off freaking out your wife in one invention, genius!

mr.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2012, 08:34 AM   #163
d3hree
Registered Member

Elliot, that is a cool design, the best I have seen for long term ( two weeks) feeding of frozen foods. Most designs seem to fluidise frozen food and deliver those via peri pump. Unfortunately that method would mean the food could spoil after a couple of days. You have designed a feeder that gets around that...awesome!

d3hree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2012, 08:37 AM   #164
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Peter, Shawn, Dave, Drago, Steve, and all the members of this community,

This thread has consumed much of my free time for the last month and a half as I endeavored to read every word. Much deserving praise has been lavished on you, Peter, the team you have assembled, and the incredible community created in this thread; every word well deserved. I would echo the sentiments expressed by so many as I cannot express them as eloquently. I would, however, like to speak on the two aspects of this build that have touched me the most.

First, your performance as the CEO of this project has been astounding. When I began reading the thread I had my doubts about the outcome. You had the foresight to know what you did not know and to outsource much of the work, but you still lacked the knowledge of whom to hire to assemble the best team. I was concerned you were unwittingly setting yourself up for failure. But your continued insistence on gaining knowledge and creating best practices led to the assembly of a truly world class team, which in turn led the creation of a world class tank. Well done! To me, this thread has been as much about building an aquarium as about how to be an effective leader. Thank you.

Second, your insistence on best practices and not current trends is worthy of applause. I have been in this hobby a long time and watched a number of individuals (myself included) chase the latest and greatest trend. Often times those trends are created by marketing hype that belies the lack of scientific foundation for the claims. Your insistence on the scientific principles behind every piece of equipment and maintenance philosophy is something we could all benefit by adopting. It is easy to believe that money and the most expensive equipment will create a flourishing tank, but hard to remember that a properly designed and maintained system can be much more effective.

I am sad to have caught up with the thread as it means I must now wait for the updates in real time. However, I am inspired by the work of the entire team and have already changed a number of features of my next tank as a result. I look forward to seeing what the future holds for this tank.
Thanks for the kind words. As far as avoiding fads, we are a little embarrassed about buying plasma lights, but "all the other kids said they would be cool". I have some 300w multi chip LEDs that will replace them soon. The plasma lights will go in the closet with the 8 Ball jacket. I bet you wondered where Peter got his username

We will have to add some new characters and projects to create some fresh drama for the readers Peter is well aware of the success rate of these large scale builds. It takes a certain quality of person to take on such a monumental task, and a completely different set of skills to see it through. Thankfully, Peter has both of these skill sets and the resources acquired by those skills to see the project through. It is rare to see someone enjoy a reef aquarium this thoroughly, this late into the build. Peter has been so excited about the new lights, particularly at dusk. As the tank has progressed I have been getting his enthusiastic "you should see it now" reports regularly, and he has been right every time, the development has been steady and significant. You have to understand, Peter has a beautiful home, with an impressive theatre room and a car collection that would keep most of us out of the house, but he's in the basement like a teenager looking at the tank all day, mesmerized. What we should have done from the start was monitor Peter's heart rate and blood pressure to measure the impact of the aquarium. I'm sure will attest, it has improved both his quality and likely quantity of life. You simply can't do that with shiny cars and a big house... but they can't hurt

Unread 02/16/2012, 08:41 AM   #165
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingchai View Post
Those are nice cars but money can buy.
But your tank is exceptional.
Peter. You are the man.
Chingchai, this is a lesson that many people never learn, and we both know all too well. All the money in the world cannot buy success in this hobby. I think I picked a good path for my life, but I hope the pavement gets smoother ahead

Unread 02/16/2012, 08:44 AM   #166
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Peter,

I was just wondering if there were any plans for Steve to share information on this thread regarding his methodology, the reasons behind it, and the changes he has made to your tank? I know I have benefited tremendously from the other members of the team sharing information, and I am very interested in learning from Steve as well.

Thanks.
Steve has decided to focus his time on his coral fragging venture and is no longer involved in the project. We wish him success in his endeavours. Unfortunately, he doesn't participate in forums.

Unread 02/16/2012, 08:58 AM   #167
CalmSeasQuest
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
Elliot you win the creativity award for installing a hair dryer in the freezer. Combining two ways off freaking out your wife in one invention, genius!
+1 "Classic"

Peter - I knew the LED sunrise/sunsets would get you. From conversations past, I vaguely recall a certain member of the nineball team professing they see little point in dimming LEDs

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Current Tank Info: 96X30" 270Gal, Kessil 360WEs, BK250 Double Cone, 400 gal ASW station with continuous water change
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2012, 08:59 AM   #168
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Go corporate or go home Surely BP has some education budget for mangrove research. I'm sure they play a major role in cleaning the Gulf of Mexico disaster. They also play a major role flood control, and with global warming increasing as it has, mangroves need to be deployed in flood sensitive areas. There's got to be a disaster relief fund out there... maybe a field trip for your students to plant mangroves in New Orleans on arbour day?

Quote:

We were thinking of adding dolomite to provide bio available magnesium and aerate the roots, but we opted to try the mud as advertised. We tried elevating a few of the root systems out of the mud recently to encourage new runners, but they fell over and I dried out some roots (notice how I say "we" when it is a good idea, and "I" when it is a screwup) I really should have gone corporate

The trees do get top heavy, so they should have a good portion of the root system anchored in substrate at all times. Manipulating the water level is a better way to encourage a tangled root mass. The mangroves we have a very long root system but, they are not "woody" because they are always submerged.

Unread 02/16/2012, 09:09 AM   #169
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

My most recent thoughts on the frozen feeder was a hopper similar to an ice cube dispenser located in a freezer... like an ice dispenser

The cubes would drop into a funnel, then file into a tube that leads to the return pump intake in the sump. There would be a tee in the return pump (within the sump) that draws water from the sump and allows thawed cubes to be drawn into the pump to be delivered to the tank and waiting mouths. The food would be dispersed evenly throughout the tank via three eductors just below the surface of the water.

The frozen cubes or chunks would thaw in the water of the sump then sink to be drawn into the pump. We would set up a closed loop wash down sprayer to keep the funnel clean. We would use our existing pressure tank and tap into the mangrove and skimmer spray timer (part of GHL Profilux). Someday

Unread 02/16/2012, 09:25 AM   #170
Elliott
Registered Member

Quote:
My most recent thoughts on the frozen feeder was a hopper similar to an ice cube dispenser located in a freezer... like an ice dispenser

The cubes would drop into a funnel, then file into a tube that leads to the return pump intake in the sump. There would be a tee in the return pump (within the sump) that draws water from the sump and allows thawed cubes to be drawn into the pump to be delivered to the tank and waiting mouths. The food would be dispersed evenly throughout the tank via three eductors just below the surface of the water.

The frozen cubes or chunks would thaw in the water of the sump then sink to be drawn into the pump. We would set up a closed loop wash down sprayer to keep the funnel clean. We would use our existing pressure tank and tap into the mangrove and skimmer spray timer (part of GHL Profilux). Someday
I thought of that, in fact there is an ice maker next to my auto feeder in the picture I posted (not being used), however this method did not allow me to vary the size of the feedings, control the frequency or timeline. Other issues were that it ran until the hopper was full. So it could not be done without significant modifications or building an entirely redesigned ice maker. I settled on a cheaper and more simplified approach

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2012, 04:30 PM   #171
BennyFrank
Registered Member

Quote:
..And I really want to create a tangle of roots but still not have a good way to mount the trees to create the long root growth without the trees falling over all the time. Any suggestions?

I'm trying to do the same thing and here is what I came up with. I drilled the rocks in my refugium and slid fiberglass rods through them; long enough to extend out of the water a foot or so. I then attached the mangrove propagules to the rods using "gardener's tape". This allows me to move the mangroves up and down as the roots develop. So far it has worked great but growth has been verrrrry slow. I've had the propagules submerged for about 5 months and so far I have 2 leaves . The roots continue to grow so I'm hopeful leaf growth will pick up when the roots finally reach the substrate.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the mini-hijack Peter; everything looks amazing as usual!

Unread 02/16/2012, 05:07 PM   #172
Briney Dave
Registered Member

Hey Shawn, good to hear from you again:
if you have an "in" at BP just let me know LOL. In their defense, they do give some teachers a good amount of coin, but you have to be in the same county as one of their operations to be able to apply for a grant from them

How would manipulating the water level help out? go lower or higher ? and do you just plug the shoot into the media or is there more to it??

Quote:
Go corporate or go home Surely BP has some education budget for mangrove research. I'm sure they play a major role in cleaning the Gulf of Mexico disaster. They also play a major role flood control, and with global warming increasing as it has, mangroves need to be deployed in flood sensitive areas. There's got to be a disaster relief fund out there... maybe a field trip for your students to plant mangroves in New Orleans on arbour day?

We were thinking of adding dolomite to provide bio available magnesium and aerate the roots, but we opted to try the mud as advertised. We tried elevating a few of the root systems out of the mud recently to encourage new runners, but they fell over and I dried out some roots (notice how I say "we" when it is a good idea, and "I" when it is a screwup) I really should have gone corporate

The trees do get top heavy, so they should have a good portion of the root system anchored in substrate at all times. Manipulating the water level is a better way to encourage a tangled root mass. The mangroves we have a very long root system but, they are not "woody" because they are always submerged.

Unread 02/17/2012, 10:27 AM   #173
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
+1 "Classic"

Peter - I knew the LED sunrise/sunsets would get you. From conversations past, I vaguely recall a certain member of the nineball team professing they see little point in dimming LEDs
I will be the first to admit that I was wrong, but I would still never dim less than 90% and never for more than an hour in the morning and two hours at night. That whole dim sequence throughout be day scheme is still counterproductive in my opinion. The one competitive advantage we have over nature is 100% illumination without clouds or storms. Why give that up?

Unread 02/17/2012, 10:31 AM   #174
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Hey Shawn, good to hear from you again:
if you have an "in" at BP just let me know LOL. In their defense, they do give some teachers a good amount of coin, but you have to be in the same county as one of their operations to be able to apply for a grant from them

How would manipulating the water level help out? go lower or higher ? and do you just plug the shoot into the media or is there more to it??
Start them off in freshwater for the first few months asthey will root quicker.

Lowering the water level encourages the tree to send out runner roots as tge dry roots become woody. As the tree develops and roots harden, you can raise the whole tree higher.

Unread 02/17/2012, 10:43 AM   #175
CalmSeasQuest
Registered Member

Quote:
That whole dim sequence throughout be day scheme is still counterproductive in my opinion. The one competitive advantage we have over nature is 100% illumination without clouds or storms. Why give that up?
I agree completely Shawn. I never understood the whole cloud/thunderstorm thing (unless perhaps Riders on The Storm was synced and emanating from Peters theater room.) I enjoy the dusk/dawn sequence immensely. Watching everything awake with a cup of coffee in hand, and viewing the "bedtime" sequence with a glass of Scotch...Not a bad way to end a day

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Current Tank Info: 96X30" 270Gal, Kessil 360WEs, BK250 Double Cone, 400 gal ASW station with continuous water change
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote