Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/04/2018, 11:19 PM   #1
FishNDip
Registered Member

Question What size bulkead?

I have a 1 inch hole. Do I want a 1/2" or 3/4" bulkhead from brs?

FishNDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2018, 12:31 AM   #2
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNDip View Post
I have a 1 inch hole. Do I want a 1/2" or 3/4" bulkhead from brs?
1/2" Bulkhead is 1.06" OD

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2018, 05:53 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

weird... One should make the hole after knowing which bulkhead..
You don't just drill a hole then figure out which fits in which..

If this is for your ghost overflow project I suggest you step back and reevaluate..
Both bulkheads are likely too small..
Didn't we suggest 1" bulkheads minimum in another post?

Unread 03/05/2018, 08:06 AM   #4
FishNDip
Registered Member

Why would I not? I need to drill the holes before I can put the bulkhead in, so it's just seemed like the logical steps.

And yes this is for the ghost overflow. I thought the bulkhead doesn't have the same size as the hole? tkeracer619 said 1/2", so which is it, 1/2 or 1"?

Unread 03/05/2018, 08:18 AM   #5
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Why would I not? I need to drill the holes before I can put the bulkhead in, so it's just seemed like the logical steps.

And yes this is for the ghost overflow. I thought the bulkhead doesn't have the same size as the hole? tkeracer619 said 1/2", so which is it, 1/2 or 1"?
It doesn't but a 1/2" bulkhead is useless as far as providing any kind of return or draining capacity. You should really take the advice of people on this forum, most of us have been doing this for a long time and know what we are talking about. FWIW i have never seen a tank with a 1/2" bulkhead

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2018, 08:40 AM   #6
nereefpat
Registered Member

You were told in this thread, http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...8#post25378038,

...to use 3/4" or 1" bulkhead. Measure the bulkhead you are going to use and drill the hole to that size. The size of the bulkhead doesn't equal the size of the hole you need to drill.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2018, 09:25 AM   #7
FishNDip
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
It doesn't but a 1/2" bulkhead is useless as far as providing any kind of return or draining capacity. You should really take the advice of people on this forum, most of us have been doing this for a long time and know what we are talking about. FWIW i have never seen a tank with a 1/2" bulkhead
If I wasn't trying to follow your advice, I wouldn't be on here, Lol. Thanks for the part about the bulkhead not being suitable for return. What would be? Looking at this thread though, it seems he uses a bulkhead for return.
http://gmacreef.com/return-line-plum...aquarium-sump/

Unread 03/05/2018, 09:27 AM   #8
FishNDip
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
You were told in this thread, http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...8#post25378038,

...to use 3/4" or 1" bulkhead. Measure the bulkhead you are going to use and drill the hole to that size. The size of the bulkhead doesn't equal the size of the hole you need to drill.

The unfortunate part is, I already drilled the holes. So I guess I'll just buy some test bulkheads to see if they fit.

Unread 03/05/2018, 10:40 AM   #9
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNDip;25380963 Looking at this thread though, it seems he uses a bulkhead for return.
[url
http://gmacreef.com/return-line-plumbing-reef-aquarium-sump/[/url]
You will use a bulkhead anytime to enter or exit the tank. That thread does say not to use anything smaller than a 3/4" bulkhead for return though.

Quote:
The unfortunate part is, I already drilled the holes. So I guess I'll just buy some test bulkheads to see if they fit.
If you're buying from BRS, I suppose just get the 1/2" one and see if it will fit. BRS website recommends a 30mm (1.18") hole saw, though.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2018, 11:40 AM   #10
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
You can drill more holes well.. really enlarge what you already have but DO NOT drill/enlarge a hole until you know what size you need to drill..
A 1" bulkhead does NOT use a 1" hole.. It uses 1" pipe...
A 3/4" bulkhead does NOT use a 3/4" hole.. It uses 3/4" pipe..
,etc....

If you use a 1" sch 40 bulkhead purchased from most suppliers like BRS,etc.. then you need a 45mm hole which is 1.77" (a 1-3/4" hole should be fine)

If these are the bulkheads connecting the inner and outer boxes then you typically want something like multiple 2" bulkhead or so.

There are absolutely valid reasons why the proper holes/bulkheads are used.. Sounds like you are all seat of the pants and thats NOT going to work out for you unless luck is really on your side..

Unread 03/06/2018, 11:50 PM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
If I wasn't trying to follow your advice, I wouldn't be on here, Lol. Thanks for the part about the bulkhead not being suitable for return. What would be? Looking at this thread though, it seems he uses a bulkhead for return.
http://gmacreef.com/return-line-plum...aquarium-sump/
I think the point was that a 1/2" bulkhead is so small as to be useless in all but the smallest tanks. It's fine to return through a bulkhead of adequate size, just make sure your sump can handle the back flow.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 05:43 AM   #12
mcgyvr
Registered Member

nm...