Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/06/2018, 09:48 PM   #1601
sirichok
Registered Member

First set of triton has arrived :

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sirichok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 06:17 AM   #1602
Donkin
Registered Member

This has been the best thread ive read in a long time! Hotel looks fantastic, just getting back into the reef keeping world (joined the USAF and have been all over the place) and this made me envious! Wow! Great job! I will be checking back often!

Unread 06/09/2018, 01:06 AM   #1603
HBL
Registered Member

This is one amazing tank with beautiful fishes!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

HBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2018, 08:34 AM   #1604
sirichok
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkin View Post
This has been the best thread ive read in a long time! Hotel looks fantastic, just getting back into the reef keeping world (joined the USAF and have been all over the place) and this made me envious! Wow! Great job! I will be checking back often!

Thank you for following this thread .

Unread 06/10/2018, 09:40 AM   #1605
sirichok
Registered Member

After the unfortunate accident of having three broken royal exclusiv pumps - rd3 230 watt (at the same time ) probably due to power surge . I have decided to part way with Royal exclusiv products with no hard feelings . I am in the process of changing all my 4 pumps which were previously RD3 - 230 watt to Abyss pumps .

As for lights , I have now taken off all metal halide lights and try LED lights by Orphek.

1) 8x Amazonas 320 ( 14 k)
2) 3 x Amazonas 500 ( 20 k)

So far the leather coral seemed to be responding well to the new lights .

Unread 06/10/2018, 09:40 AM   #1606
sirichok
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBL View Post
This is one amazing tank with beautiful fishes!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for your kind words .

Unread 06/10/2018, 11:58 PM   #1607
sirichok
Registered Member

First day with Triton method . Trying to bring down phosphate and silicates to acceptable level .

Unread 06/15/2018, 03:35 PM   #1608
zachfishman
Registered Member

Really neat, I love the Poma Labs selection!

I found the aluminum PO4 media to be lacking. It was more cost effective to use high capacity GFO (Rowaphos was the best I found) and regenerate it IME.

Also, if that old skimmer doesn't work out for you, the folks at MRC do excellent work.

Tampa Bay Reef Club BOD 2018

Current Tank Info: 34g modded Solana
zachfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2018, 09:01 PM   #1609
sirichok
Registered Member

Finish installing Orphek LEDs in place of old MH

Unread 07/02/2018, 11:42 AM   #1610
Whiskylen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirichok View Post
Finish installing Orphek LEDs in place of old MH

Those things are beasts, I have the atlantik v4 and the color spectrum is amazing

Whiskylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2018, 12:21 PM   #1611
tmc1313
Registered Member

I'm waiting.........
The install looks great, but now let's see how that aquarium looks with those babies lit up!!

Unread 07/18/2018, 01:24 AM   #1612
immer
Registered Member

Good morning Sirichok,
we suffer by the lack of updates. Hope everything going super...

immer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 01:30 AM   #1613
sirichok
Registered Member

Hi

Will post update soon . Now starting to grow soft corals and tiny amount of Sps.

Unread 07/18/2018, 03:27 AM   #1614
Museet
Registered Member

Hi!

Just found this thread. Great stuff! I work at a small public aquarium/museum in Gothenburg Sweden and I'm the curator of a couple of large reef tanks(the two largest are 10000L and 26000L). So this is just the kind of thread I've been looking for

Haven't had the time to read throgh all the thread yet, will take some time I suppose. But following from now on.

Best regards
David

Museet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 05:13 AM   #1615
sumtingwity
Registered Member

Amazing. Have been to BKK many times. Never knew this was here. Can't wait to see it in person

sumtingwity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 07:04 AM   #1616
sirichok
Registered Member

Growing soft corals and testing some sps .

Unread 07/18/2018, 07:05 AM   #1617
sirichok
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumtingwity View Post
Amazing. Have been to BKK many times. Never knew this was here. Can't wait to see it in person

Please come and visit us next time you are in BKK.

www.v20boutiquehotel.com

Unread 07/18/2018, 07:05 AM   #1618
sirichok
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Museet View Post
Hi!

Just found this thread. Great stuff! I work at a small public aquarium/museum in Gothenburg Sweden and I'm the curator of a couple of large reef tanks(the two largest are 10000L and 26000L). So this is just the kind of thread I've been looking for

Haven't had the time to read throgh all the thread yet, will take some time I suppose. But following from now on.

Best regards
David

Looking forward for some advices !

Unread 07/18/2018, 07:06 AM   #1619
sirichok
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by immer View Post
Good morning Sirichok,

we suffer by the lack of updates. Hope everything going super...

Will keep updating !

Unread 07/18/2018, 09:32 AM   #1620
Museet
Registered Member

Quote:
Looking forward for some advices !

I will do my best. Hope to learn some from you as well

How are the water parameters in your tank right now? We have had great help from Triton for a couple of years now, and we've improved our water quality a lot. So Triton lab is a good choice IMO. Have you tried their ICP test?

Looked through the last pages of this thread during the day. Great collection of fish! We are not near those numbers of fish or species. But we do have a lot of coral species. I'm more of a coral guy than fish..
I would say you'll need a lot of corals to keep them for being too disturbed from fish picking at them(lots of corals per fish). But you never know, you have to try to find out.

Looking forward to more info and post from this tank!

/ David

Unread 07/18/2018, 09:43 AM   #1621
Museet
Registered Member

About phosphate. I don't know what levels the tank is at, but we have had good results with lanthanum chloride. But we've been very careful and dosed very small amounts. We have small sand pressure filters(about 6000 l/h) with silica sand, and connected a small hose/air tube to the inlet to the sand filter. And dosed LaCl(2-8 g per 5 litre RO water) with dosing pump. This way we lowered the phosphate when the tanks were new and we've added lots of dry live rock(which leaked some PO4). Nowadays the PO4 is under 0,1 ppm so we use aluminum or iron based phosphate remover instead.

Important to know is that some people suspect their fish, especially tangs, suffered from lanthanum chloride poisoning. That's why we've been dosing so small amount at the time and always in front of a filter. Just so you know before trying

Unread 07/24/2018, 08:58 AM   #1622
sirichok
Registered Member

Quote:
About phosphate. I don't know what levels the tank is at, but we have had good results with lanthanum chloride. But we've been very careful and dosed very small amounts. We have small sand pressure filters(about 6000 l/h) with silica sand, and connected a small hose/air tube to the inlet to the sand filter. And dosed LaCl(2-8 g per 5 litre RO water) with dosing pump. This way we lowered the phosphate when the tanks were new and we've added lots of dry live rock(which leaked some PO4). Nowadays the PO4 is under 0,1 ppm so we use aluminum or iron based phosphate remover instead.

Important to know is that some people suspect their fish, especially tangs, suffered from lanthanum chloride poisoning. That's why we've been dosing so small amount at the time and always in front of a filter. Just so you know before trying

How is your nitrate level ? How do you keep them down . I am trying to bring the level down below 50 but still unsuccessfully .

Unread 07/24/2018, 09:01 AM   #1623
sirichok
Registered Member

Quote:

As for silica sand , any effect on corals ? How do you run your sand filter ? Any photos . I am thinking of adding a sand filter too .

Unread 07/24/2018, 09:43 AM   #1624
Museet
Registered Member

Quote:
How is your nitrate level ? How do you keep them down . I am trying to bring the level down below 50 but still unsuccessfully .

We run most of the coral tanks with nitrate around 2-5 ppm. To control that level level we use a couple of different ways because the tanks have diffrent setups. We have algae refugiums and dose carbon source if we need to(we use ethanol).
But we also don't have that much fish, so it hasn't been that hard keeping the nutrients down. Nowadays I think the corals take up most of the nutrients. The main focus has been creating a live reef tank, so the corals have been the priority for us.

Unread 07/24/2018, 09:53 AM   #1625
Museet
Registered Member

Quote:
As for silica sand , any effect on corals ? How do you run your sand filter ? Any photos . I am thinking of adding a sand filter too .

I haven't seen any negative effects on the corals using silica sand in the sand filters. But, the sand in both the sand pressure filters were used a while before we switched the tank into reef tanks. So I can't say if there is any initial effects if you start with new sand.
Another important thing is that silica might leak from the silica sand if the sand gets anaerobic. By accident one filter pump was turned off every night for a month, and we saw the silica level rise on all the ICP tests we did. When we discovered that and let the pump go 24/7 the silica level slowly dropped down again.

We use regular pool filters, about 6000-10000 L/h. Not sure they do much good in a reef tank, but as a filter for lanthanum chloride it has worked well.