Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2009, 02:18 PM   #101
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

I am not really a fan of either one of those skimmers. The bubble magnus is a better choice than the marineland skimmer but would go with a msx 160 over those to by far. or even vertex IN 100 gen 2

Unread 03/17/2009, 02:23 PM   #102
reeferkeeper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo~
I am not really a fan of either one of those skimmers. The bubble magnus is a better choice than the marineland skimmer but would go with a msx 160 over those to by far. or even vertex IN 100 gen 2
I really like the Vertex IN-100 Gen II but I was trying to save some jack. I am upgrading from a used Coralife CSS65 that came with the tank and sump and all. Maybe that's one of the reasons the seller sold. He probably couldn't get that skimmer to work properly and maybe always added chemicals and stuff instead of just getting a decent skimmer.

Current Tank Info: None
reeferkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2009, 10:30 AM   #103
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

I will be out of town till sat evening. So be patient if I cant get back to you al right away. I am sure others like CSMguy ect.... can chime in and give a hand. I am really liking the Large Purple Pinwheel (ATB) on the MSX 160. I might order the other one from Reefspecialty, the small one, and give it a shot as well. So much nicer than the mesh.Once I get another skimmer in to review I had planned on making some changes to my 160 but I don't think it will handle much more air than what I am giving it now. I might have to get a 200 body or another cone to really do some magic on my sicce. I have seen the warner Marine sicce pull 42 scfh. Now I don't have all their resources but I have quite a few. well until Saturday. And if you haven't ordered your pinwheel for your sicce pump. Well what a Huge difference. I wish these pinwheels came stock.
Also only about a week or two out on the new alpha 250 Vertex cone skimmer. That should be a really nice unit. Thanks to premium aquatics for letting me review this one . Jeremy has been great. Not to mention... I only live an hour and a half away.
And after that not much planned. I am thinking maybe an ATB of some sort. I am really liking there pinwheel so if the rest of the skimmer is that good I am sure I will be pleased.

Mojo~

Unread 03/21/2009, 03:54 PM   #104
Tracey2
Registered Member

Has anyone here used the ASM G3? Any opinions?

Tracey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2009, 06:14 PM   #105
TheNomadRhodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tracey2
Has anyone here used the ASM G3? Any opinions?
I have the G2 and I liked it, its no Deltec! but a good Skimmer.
I have a G2 i'm trying to sell now that I upgrade to this monster skimmer

Also I was wondering what is every ones opinions on Dry skimming Vs Wet skimming? any real difference?

TheNomadRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2009, 06:38 PM   #106
GSMguy
Registered Member

ASM are like 2001's version MSX/octo extreme, for the money they just don't offer the value that they once did and there are plenty of cheaper better skimmers.

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2009, 08:33 PM   #107
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
ASM are like 2001's version MSX/octo extreme, for the money they just don't offer the value that they once did and there are plenty of cheaper better skimmers.
I totally agree....ASM are a it dated.

mojo~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2009, 09:28 PM   #108
Charlie Davidson
Registered Member

If i got the 280 vertex.. and wanted to replace pump with another make.. What size is the piping on discharge of the pump- into the skimmer??

( I just sold a ASM G3, I am 100% sure new owner will love it as much as I did!) Dated yes, work well? yes ( no longer best bang for the buck!)

Current Tank Info: Doing without for a while :)
Charlie Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2009, 05:58 AM   #109
Tracey2
Registered Member

Is the ASM G3 big enough for a 150g dt, 40g sump, 20g fuge?

Tracey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2009, 09:07 AM   #110
dpitzer
Registered Member

Question

Hi my first post here!

I sold my last reef tank in 2001 and many things have changed since then. I just ordered a new 400G glass tank from AO and am looking for some guidance on a skimmer. I am leaning towards a bubbleking, but would like to hear if I should go with and external or internal skimmer. I am expecting to have a 90 - 100g sump, an 80g refugium and a 40g frag tank. I also like to stock a little on the heavy side so please keep that in mind.

Other than BubbleKing what else would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Dave

dpitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2009, 10:33 AM   #111
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

When you get into the larger systems the playing field for pinwheel skimmers and becket style skimmer are leveled out a bit. Bubble king would be great no doubt there. You might want to look at the Hurricone CAT 2 or maybe the new vertex Alpha 250 cone. I think both of those would be a bit on the small side . Another that would be cheaper alternative would be the Octo X 350 and upgrade the pinwheels to the ATB large. THat would move a good amount of water and pull around 90 scfh of air. Skimmer is $650 and 3 ATB pinwheels would be about $90 more. Stock pinwheels will pull about 60 scfh(20 each pump) ATB smalls will 25 each and large about 30 each. So you could fine tune your skimmer the way you want. I hope this give you some more choices. And the ATB Large would work well too. You will have to take a look at them all and see what you think will work best for you.

Unread 03/25/2009, 11:05 AM   #112
dustinP
Registered Member

would a ATI bubble master 200 or 250 be a good choice on a 120 dominated by SPS with some clams and LPS

dustinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2009, 08:20 AM   #113
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

the 200 would make a great choice. However for the money I would look at the msx 200. or the WM as 200. not sure what your budget is. But those two are close in price to the ati. Wm about same , the msx cheaper.

Unread 04/05/2009, 01:24 PM   #114
yeldarbj
Registered Member

Mojo, since you are probably the only person who has tried them both, what would be your choice between the ATB Econo 840 and the WM K-2 skimmers for a 150g total volume, fully stocked, sps dominant reef?

I know you really like the ATB currently, but you also really liked the K-2 as well when you had it. I worry a bit that the ATB could be undersized and the K-2 oversized. Is that a concern?

yeldarbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2009, 02:21 PM   #115
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

I would not say that as the pump is the same on them both. Same block anyways. So the air and water they cycle will be similar. THe K2 pulls more air and has a larger body. I would say the k2 would be better with the larger body you would get a little longer contact time. However the ATB takes the sicce a step further with a custom volute. If you are set on a cone for a little more you could go with the ATB 1050 or the alpha 250. I dont think the K2 will be oversized at all. The atb's pump is a big deal to me as it solves the restarting the wrong direction that one might see with other sicce pumps. THe bottom line is they are both great skimmers. I shut mine off everyday when I feed. So the pump starting is a big deal to me. I do like the gate valve that the k2 has on it over the wedge pipe on the ATB. If I could take what I like about them both and put them together then I would have the best ofboth worlds. I hope that this helps.
Mojo~

Unread 04/05/2009, 02:30 PM   #116
yeldarbj
Registered Member

Thanks. You've mentioned the Sicce restarting issue several times. Did you have any trouble with it on the K2? I typically don't shut off the skimmer when feeding.

Unread 04/05/2009, 03:11 PM   #117
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

I use my dwyer to tell what direction it starts on all my sicce pump skimmers, MSX, octoX, and the K2. MY K2 pulled about 38 to 40 scfh forward and about 30 scfh in reverse. MY octo and msx sicce skimmers puled about 35 scfh on mesh forward and about 22 in reverse. Just to give you an example. Great skimmers but for me it was about a 50/50 shot.if you dont turn it of but to clean its probably not a big deal. But its too much work for me to check it twice a day as I shut my done to feed.

Unread 04/05/2009, 03:49 PM   #118
yeldarbj
Registered Member

And for reference, what's the ATB pulling?

Unread 04/05/2009, 08:21 PM   #119
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

small pin wheel is about 700 lph about 24 scfh, The large pinwheel puls about 32 to 34 scfh. But stock its about 24 scfh. Remeber though its not just about the air draw. ITs about a balance of air water and skimmer design.

Unread 04/12/2009, 08:01 AM   #120
Buganddoug
X NJRC Vice President

Mojo, Do you have any good tips that I should know for my new WM K-2 skimmer? I have it in seven inches of water. Any info would be great.
Daniel

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon Heavily stock tank Reef and Fish. 100 gallon sump, ATI Power cone IS Protein skimmer, Warner Warine MR100. 4 AI Hydra 52 HD LEDS running Warner Marine EcoBAK bio pellets,Warner Marine additives
Buganddoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2009, 03:14 PM   #121
vanillagorila
It stings the nostrils

Quote:
small pin wheel is about 700 lph about 24 scfh, The large pinwheel puls about 32 to 34 scfh. But stock its about 24 scfh. Remeber though its not just about the air draw. ITs about a balance of air water and skimmer design.
what model air meter are you using?

vanillagorila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2009, 03:44 PM   #122
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Ill have to go look at it. I am going to sell it as I ordered another one that will go to 100 scfh

Unread 04/12/2009, 05:45 PM   #123
vanillagorila
It stings the nostrils

Quote:
Ill have to go look at it. I am going to sell it as I ordered another one that will go to 100 scfh
thats what I need. one that goes up to 100 to test my airstar.

Unread 04/12/2009, 06:45 PM   #124
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

the one i ordered is a Air RMB-53-SSV

Unread 04/12/2009, 06:54 PM   #125
vanillagorila
It stings the nostrils

Quote:
the one i ordered is a Air RMB-53-SSV
thanks mojo, thats the one I was looking at.

Tags
atb, nw150b protein skimmer, vertex