Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/13/2018, 09:59 PM   #1
David MC Lee
Registered Member

First Iwaki pump

Bought my first Iwaki external pump. What's the deal with the output sitting at a strange angle? Like it's off 20 degrees.

David MC Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2018, 10:18 PM   #2
pecan2phat
Registered Member

You can unbolt the volute and turn the output to the angle that you want with these pumps.

pecan2phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2018, 10:21 PM   #3
David MC Lee
Registered Member

Yea I tried that but it never ended up at 0,90,180 or 270. It was always off at a goofy angle it seemed.

Unread 12/14/2018, 06:53 AM   #4
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MC Lee View Post
Yea I tried that but it never ended up at 0,90,180 or 270. It was always off at a goofy angle it seemed.
Hi, I have 5 Iwaki pumps on my system, and all can be set to the 0 to 270 degree settings you want. Never seen that problem with these pumps before, maybe you have a defective impeller housing.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2018, 09:48 AM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Bought my first Iwaki external pump. What's the deal with the output sitting at a strange angle? Like it's off 20 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Chromis View Post
Hi, I have 5 Iwaki pumps on my system, and all can be set to the 0 to 270 degree settings you want. Never seen that problem with these pumps before, maybe you have a defective impeller housing.
I don't think he has a defective impeller housing. i think he needs to "clock" the body or the metal front half of the pump that the pump head attaches to. Take a look at this picture. You can see that the output is at a slight angle and if the head is rotated to the next set of bolt holes, the output would be angled even more. The part that the head attaches to needs to be rotated. I think when you remove the head, there are either another set of screws that can be loosened to rotate the front half of the body or the body will rotate once the head screws are removed. As I recall, the base of the Iwaki's are welded to the metal body so you can't adjust the base. If you look at the attached image, you can see there is a seam in the metal body. The front half of the metal body needs to rotate at that seam to adjust the output angle beyond just the points rotating the head give you. Worst case. contact Iwaki USA for further guidance. Phone: 774-571-8617

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Iwaki-MD100RLT-Water-Pump-(Japanese-Motor)-99.jpg (37.7 KB, 19 views)

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 12/14/2018 at 10:00 AM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2018, 10:08 AM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

If you look at the orientation of the bolts in the image attached below, you can see the bolt orientation is different than the image above. So the body definitely needs to be clocked different to get the output in a vertical orientation. First thing I would do is check the base to see if the base is bolted on instead of welded on. if it's bolted on then loose the base bolts and you should be able to rotate the body 22.5* or so to get the output vertical. If not, then the metal body itself will likely need to be rotated at the seam. Like I said above, worst case, you can contact Iwaki USA at the number I provided above but I think the fix is simple.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Iwaki-MD100RLT-Water-Pump-(Japanese-Motor)-2.jpg (50.8 KB, 12 views)

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 12/14/2018, 06:49 PM   #7
David MC Lee
Registered Member

Just rechecked all 6 different positions and non of then are at 0,90,180 or 270. All 6 are off by 15 degrees or more. It looks like the bottom base was drilled wrong. That pic above is just like mine and no amount of rotating the impeller will fix it. The bottom base looks to be just screwed in. One more thing, the pump also did not come with a plug in on it. Just a cord with bare wires. J thought that might have just been a Japanese thing.

Unread 12/14/2018, 06:54 PM   #8
David MC Lee
Registered Member

The mounting plate will unscrew but there a large flat area molded into the housing that makes the bottom the bottom. You can't move the mounting plate.

Unread 12/14/2018, 06:57 PM   #9
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Just rechecked all 6 different positions and non of then are at 0,90,180 or 270. All 6 are off by 15 degrees or more. It looks like the bottom base was drilled wrong. That pic above is just like mine and no amount of rotating the impeller will fix it. The bottom base looks to be just screwed in. One more thing, the pump also did not come with a plug in on it. Just a cord with bare wires. J thought that might have just been a Japanese thing.
Not including the plug is common for the Japanese Iwaki’s. I’d contact Iwaki USA and see what they say about the output orientation. Have you checked to see if the motor body can be rotated just in front of the base? This assuming it’s the 2 piece motor body like the one in my first picture?

Unread 12/14/2018, 07:00 PM   #10
David MC Lee
Registered Member

Yea I just tried to rotate the motor body 180 and nonthing still lines to. I will have to call them . Thanks

Unread 12/15/2018, 12:53 PM   #11
moondoggy4
Registered Member

You have a Japanese pressure rated Iwaki pump, you cannot get the angle you want, maybe you can trade out the cover for a non pressure pump, maybe somebody here has one laying around and David try it out.

What I did with my pump is that I used PVC flexible tubing and it made up for the weird angle.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2018, 01:44 AM   #12
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Yeah, I always used spaflex with my Japanese Iwakis. They're great pumps. Should last a very long time!

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2018, 07:55 AM   #13
tmarcone
Registered Member

The Iwaki "X" high flow pumps have a 15* offset on the pump head. I sued a 15* cut piece of 2x4 to bring it up to a flush 90*. The pump was designed for an equipment manufacturer in Japan who asked for the offset then Iwaki brought it to market in the US as their high flow MD series pump.

tmarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2018, 06:47 AM   #14
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
You have a Japanese pressure rated Iwaki pump, you cannot get the angle you want, maybe you can trade out the cover for a non pressure pump, maybe somebody here has one laying around and David try it out.

What I did with my pump is that I used PVC flexible tubing and it made up for the weird angle.
Hi, all five of my Iwaki pumps are the Japanese version of the Iwaki pumps, they are all pressure rated and came without a plug attached to the cord. The outlets can all can be placed in a 0,90,180,or 270 degree angle. I would just call Iwaki USA, like previously stated and be done with it. Maybe like I said earlier you have a defective housing, but I doubt it.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote