Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/10/2009, 10:07 AM   #1
bj32482
Registered Member

Do angelfish eat all corals?

I have decided to stop limiting my fish selection and thus letting go of my coral. I don't have anything special anyways...a bunch of bland zoas, gsp, and some mushrooms. I am just not feeling the coral anymore. I want some fish that are impressive. I am considering getting a bi color angel or a lemon peel angel. I know that these fish are not considered coral safe, but do any of my coral/mushrooms stand a chance?

Thanks,
BJ

bj32482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2009, 11:49 AM   #2
stanlalee
Registered Member

the answer is all to none, especially with dwarfs. they seem to do more nipping and keeping things closed than actual devowering. I've had several and NONE touched any mushrooms. most picked around zooanthid keeping them closed and didn't touch star polyps. You'll probably have a better chance with a large angel for eating up your reef. most are selective though (some corals they have a taste for while others are left alone).

stanlalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2009, 12:15 PM   #3
100%hydrophylic
Registered Member

dwarfs seem to especially like zoanthids. ive never seen dwarfs eat mushrooms though. its usually hit and miss with dwarfs. some eat corals some dont. no experience with larger angels.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 28g nano SPS
100%hydrophylic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2009, 12:50 PM   #4
albano
SALTWATER since '73

for 'reef safe' angel, try Bellus, lamarck, zebra, swallowtail, wantanabe (any Genicanthus)

albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2009, 04:52 PM   #5
luther1200
Premium Member

I don't know about nipping. I had a Flame angle totally wipe out a Stylophora and Monti colony on me. And he would have wiped out my Favia and Acan if he didn't naturally die when he did. I had plans to remove him, but he died before I could. I had him for about 2 years. He was fine for almost a year, then he just picked for about 7 months. Then he just went crazy and really started doing damage and killed a few colonies. And the whole time I fed well, and always had nori in the tank once a day.

Current Tank Info: 65g reef, mix of sps, lps, few softies. Hoping to upgrade within the year.
luther1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2009, 05:59 PM   #6
bj32482
Registered Member

Even if they eat everything, I don't really care...I am considering pulling the majority of the coral out and trading it in at the lfs...I might try to keep my gsp...I have tons

Anyone have any experience with frogspawn and angels...its the only coral that I am really proud of...

bj32482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2009, 10:30 AM   #7
JeF4y
El Conquistidor

Do some more research. Angels are very hit/miss. Yes, there are some that are more/mostly reef-safe. Bellus is probably the most reef-safe, flame & wantannabi(sp?) are relatively reef-safe as well, but like anything, it's a gamble.

JeF4y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2009, 12:18 PM   #8
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj32482 View Post
Even if they eat everything, I don't really care...I am considering pulling the majority of the coral out and trading it in at the lfs...I might try to keep my gsp...I have tons

Anyone have any experience with frogspawn and angels...its the only coral that I am really proud of...
Dwarfs seems to nip first at fleshy LPS like brain type corals, your frogspawn is hard to say... Keep in mind that the two angels you're considering are two of the two most difficult to keep Centropyge sp. and also two of the most likely to nip. Unless you can find one locally that has been in captivity for a while and is eating well I'd suggest another species.

Peter Eichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2009, 12:46 PM   #9
luther1200
Premium Member

Well if you are leaning towards a FO, or FOWLR I wouldn't worry about it then.

Current Tank Info: 65g reef, mix of sps, lps, few softies. Hoping to upgrade within the year.
luther1200 is offline   Reply With Quote